Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  84
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: The cost of your fishing.

Quote Originally Posted by Aknib View Post
    projects which I wish I had never started in the first place lol.
    Those golf clubs were a waste of money then Steve?

Can you buy maggots singly in Yorkshire? My late father in law would have done- I do miss him and I love Yorkshire before anyone winges tha nos.

Rods and reels will last a lifetime if properly looked after and afford years of enjoyment from their use and ownership.They can often retain their value too. Angling is cheap particularly on an hourly basis .
    Last edited by mikench; 10-11-2019 at 10:05.

My club ticket cost £65 this year incl £10 joining fee. Gets me access to 12 ponds over 2 sites, another somewhere and a bit of river, plus a Leicester Amalgam ticket which covers a fair amount of river/canal.
    Previous year I spent almost that on a local commie during the closed season. Most of the waters are about 12 miles from home. Bait is reasonable really. Tackle costs me the most I’m a bit of a sucker for something newish every now and again.

I have never joined a club, one reason is I fish intermittently and sea fish as well, as the mood takes me. I am under no pressure to get my monies worth or obligated to join in any human activity. I like the freedom and no one tells me what I can do or not do, not that I mind that but it's nicer not having it to contend with, I probably would have better fishing if I did join one but it could be a waste of money although I can afford it now. I might just pay and then not fish for 6 months or decide I prefer to sea fish.
    I rarely buy magoots, I find they attract too many small fish, my main extravagance lately is a tin of hemp, without club fees, maggots and a free bus pass I fish very cheaply, this was a necessity when I was out of work and broke and I have just stuck with it and invest the money on other things.
    Last edited by markg; 10-11-2019 at 10:39.

Blog Entries

My opening post was more than a little facetious, I thought my fishing is cheap enough. Like most have said it can be expensive, especially if I fancy fishing up in the water for silver fish, with caster, 3 pint at 3.20 it soon adds up.
    I do have a permit that I should never have bought, 95 quid for a fishery I now refuse to use. The entrance road is far too dodgy for my car springs. There is a tackle shop at the fishery up the dodgy road that sells maggots for two quid a pint. Not that I will travel there to buy them.
    Fishing generally costs me around a tenner to twenty quid depending on how I fish. Of course if I drop hemp then limit my other baits to make it cheaper. That would just feel wrong.
    Like I tell my wife, you can't put a price on enjoyment.

Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathrow and the A3

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    The Office for National Statistics tells us that median weekly earnings in the South East are about £50 a week up on the rest of the Uk. And the houses of its inhabitants generally worth about £100,000 more than elsewhere, should they decide to cash in and move to where maggots are a bit cheaper.
    And I find that even more patronising. Never mind that properties are 2-3 times the price to start with so that "extra" £50 a week goes nowhere when your mortgage is huge. I'm on my occupational pension now...despite paying NI all me working life I still wont qualify for a state pension for another 3 years

Whatever....not everyone in the South earms a massive salary and lives in a huge house. Another urban myth.

I could continue to fish for next to hothing but I have no desire to restrict my fishing in such a way. Simply fishing has never been enough for me....I dont NEED to go but when I do I intend to do what pleases me and that includes using the best gear I can afford.....and that isn't always the cheapest option.

I would subscribe to the "it can be as cheap or as expensive as you want to make it" party.

The last 25kg sack of pigeon mix I purchased cost me @£9...after soaking that cooks up to about 35kg of bait. If I purchased the same thing in a plastic jar with Dynamite written on it would have cost me £210

I also think fishing down south is generally more expensive than up North.

Pleasure anglers will probably pay less for their fishing than Specimen or Match anglers.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    so that I have access to some sea trout fishing
    If you want sea trout fishing what about this. Caught at Eton (near where Boris went to school) just as this year began, 1st January, on a spinner (I've blurred his picture, sorry). I had a smaller one of 2½lbs from the Jubilee River on New Years Eve.

The cost of your fishing.-prs-sea-trout-small-blurred-out.jpg

And as for cost ... Well, so long as you're a member of one of the associated clubs you are automatically enrolled as one of our members for ... wait for it ... £3 per year, max! And that's dahn sarf! Damned expensive init?
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

I joined 2 clubs this year at a cost of £160 divide that by the amount of times I have been fishing and it works out at around £30 a day. Add to that additional costs petrol, bait, lunch, etc and it come to nearer £40. But I still look at the club membership and days out as being good value simply because it made me forget other problems for a few hours.
    I will not be rejoining one of them next year due to the restrictions now in place on that water due to other water users.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

Having lived in the north west all my life (until I moved to Oxford 6 months ago) ,I fished up north for over 55 years, clubs books last year were Warrington £50,Lymm free. I joined a club down here called Newlands angling, their waters are on the same complex as Linear fisheries, cost me £30 and no joining fee. Bait prices more or less what I paid up North, I am joining another club down here ,cost about £12 a year,part of Oxford district angling alliance, also free stretches on rivers, so in my case it is about even unless I drive up north for a days fishing a commie then I am talking of around £50 petrol and day ticket, then bait plus overnight stay and total is over £100.

Quote Originally Posted by S-Kippy View Post
    And I find that even more patronising..............

not everyone in the South earms a massive salary and lives in a huge house. Another urban myth.
    You'd have me believe that the wealth of the south East, which affects prices and their affordability, relative to other regions, is an urban myth?It appears to be one which every analyst of regional economies has fallen for.

So far you've posted about being patronised by a couple of the least offensive posters you will find, and indulged yourself in ranting on about a fishing video presenter that few seem to have a bad word for. I hope you won't feel patronised if I say you seem a bit touchy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast