Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  59
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: The cost of your fishing.

When, like me you have fished almost your entire life the cost is not the driving factor that decides whether I fish or not. I chose to go when I want to and what it costs is what it costs. If I don't spend my money someone else is sure to. Having said that my annual club membership fees are £110 for a Christchurch ticket and £36 for a Dorchester and District ticket. So around £150, equating to £3 a week, covers all my fishing on three rivers and a raft of still waters, all within a 30 mile radius. Adding on the cost of bait and transport and the overall cost is still quite do-able even for a poor impoverished pensioner like myself. As I have already said it, is not the cost that would prevent me from going, you would have to nail my feet to the floor to achieve that. At the end of the day You have to spend your coin on something and just staying at home counting it don't grab me as being wildly exciting. Pete
    Last edited by bracket; 10-11-2019 at 23:04.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    You'd have me believe that the wealth of the south East, which affects prices and their affordability, relative to other regions, is an urban myth?It appears to be one which every analyst of regional economies has fallen for.
    The company I worked for had a National pay scale so where ever you lived you paid the same for doing the same job. Which how it should be.
    When we got together with our friends in the North they couldn’t believe just how expensive the cost of living was and still is in the South.
    I do have friends that are paid big money and yes they do live million pound plus houses but the same house in the North would be half that. I also have friends that can’t afford to live anywhere apart from with Mum and Dad.
    So is it an urban myth that every one in the South is rich, yes it is. It is the same one that says that everyone in the North is poor and on the breadline.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    The company I worked for had a National pay scale so where ever you lived you paid the same for doing the same job. Which how it should be.
    When we got together with our friends in the North they couldn’t believe just how expensive the cost of living was and still is in the South.
    I do have friends that are paid big money and yes they do live million pound plus houses but the same house in the North would be half that. I also have friends that can’t afford to live anywhere apart from with Mum and Dad.
    So is it an urban myth that every one in the South is rich, yes it is. It is the same one that says that everyone in the North is poor and on the breadline.
    I'm sure nobody thinks everyone in a region is x, y or z. And nobody thinks there aren't people in all positions, from hard-up to wealthy, in every region. What is not mythical is the general and overall level of prosperity in the south-east region relative to other regions, and the value of the earnings and assets of its inhabitants. The economic dominance of the south-east can be a problem for many who live there, just as it's a problem in several ways for the rest of the UK. And where it's "better" to live is an open-ended matter. We're a long way from the cost of fishing, but we can't really be surprised if everyday things - including maggots - cost more in the region.

I must confess to being slightly amused and bemused by the touch of rancour in the contents of this thread. I stated that my original response set out verbatim below was not patronising and not intended to be. Which bit was patronising?

"My cards cost £130 and £80 respectively. The cheaper club includes 3 day ticket waters one of which is unlimited visits and the other two 10 visits. Those alone would cost £100 at £5 per day.

Maggots are £2.20 a pint at AD. I don’t consider the hobby as expensive."

I live in the North and am happy to do so. I consider the Angling choices open to me are both excellent and value for money. I don't do them justice but that's entirely my fault.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I'm sure nobody thinks everyone in a region is x, y or z. And nobody thinks there aren't people in all positions, from hard-up to wealthy, in every region. What is not mythical is the general and overall level of prosperity in the south-east region relative to other regions, and the value of the earnings and assets of its inhabitants. The economic dominance of the south-east can be a problem for many who live there, just as it's a problem in several ways for the rest of the UK. And where it's "better" to live is an open-ended matter. We're a long way from the cost of fishing, but we can't really be surprised if everyday things - including maggots - cost more in the region.
    I’ve lived in the Southeast my entire life and most of it in London. Through work and training I have spent time in the North and I can tell you that in my mind the North is much richer in more ways than one.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234