Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  15
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Winter fishing - tactics and info on what the actual Fish do in the worser weathe

In essence fishing(particularly float fishing)is about creating competition for your bait by feeding,in winter as Simon says feed needs to be reduced to create said competition,at times feeding one to six maggots every cast is best,but also bait choice is important,you will notice Simon will be posting catches where the predominant bait is punched bread and liquidised bread feed,great as water clears,baits such as pellets are less effective,apart from on regularly fished commercials and even then frugal feeding is best,that said many matches have been won just casting a straight lead and a single grain of corn around the peg,searching where the carp are lying up in the cold.

Default Re: Winter fishing - tactics and info on what the actual Fish do in the worser weathe

November can be good for Roach and Rudd if it turns milder.When it's really cold in December Chub are my only target really, they will feed quite well sometimes even in the coldest weather. The roach can come back in January and February can be good for Carp if it starts to turn milder but Chub fishing can be good right up to the close season, some of my best catches have come in those first couple of weeks in March. Just a general thing as you never can be really sure but it's a pattern I have seen most years.
    Pike and Perch are an option but I don't fish for them much so other advice is better to follow where they are concerned.
    Bread crust and cheese are my favoured baits in winter but others will work, maggots, worms etc. I do try sweetcorn as well which does work on a good day but maybe not so much in the winter but worth a try sometimes.
    Some of it will depend on other factors such as bright sun and clear water or muddy water and overcast skies, the latter will be better and if the temperatures stay stable for a spell I find the fish will feed more reguarily, they dont like fluctations in temperatures I find but always get out and have a go especially for Chub.
    Lots of different good advice here in the thread so maybe apply it to your instincts a bit based on what your fishing and what you like to fish for plus how you like to fish.
    Last edited by markg; Yesterday at 06:27.

One fish I have noticed when fishing in winter , time of day can make a big difference . I mainly fish for perch and they will often just switch on for a short period when it's a bite a cast and then either move on or switch off . I'd probably concentrate on a particular section of water to start with and build up a picture of how the stretch fishes in different conditions , certainly worked for me.

Some of the best fishing can be in winter; equally, some waters can get almost impossibly hard. You may have to get up early to get a peg on some Wye stretches, the winter fishing is so good. Meanwhile, you can have a mile or two of river to yourself where I live.

The general advice about locating more tightly shoaled fish, feeding them more cautiously, and expecting shorter feeding spells later in the day is definitely right. And there's no substitute for having a walk around to look, asking locally and testing it for yourself.

There isn't always an obvious answer to winter conditions; sometimes the fish are just less active and the fishing less productive. I was out yesterday, with an FM member who certainly knows how to catch fish, on a stillwater we've fished a couple of times in the couple of weeks since the latest floods and first hard frosts kicked in. We've spoken to the bloke who runs the fishing, chatted to bailiffs and gamekeepers. We've walked round and scrutinised all the pegs from the point of view of wind direction and - it's in woodland - how much sun will fall where and when. Between us we've tried half a dozen pegs, waggler, pole and tip at all kinds of depth and distance, and maggots, pinkies, flake, crust and corn. Yesterday, neither of us could get a bite between 10 am and 12, and the flickers of life between 12 and 3pm got us a total of a dozen bites or so and 5 fish between us. The contrast with the fishing before the weather changed is huge, and if there's a trick to catching more at the moment, we couldn't find it. It was still enjoyable fishing, but the fish appear to have switched off.

On the brighter side, if you get into fishing natural waters in winter you'll find fewer others around and a special kind of pared-down beauty to the waters. By the time we get to December and January, expectations get adjusted and any bit of success is appreciated. There are a couple of little rivers nearby where, if I go out at 2pm and fish til 4pm, I can get 2 bites and a chub, or even, on a red-letter day, 3 bites and 2 chub, and come home feeling like that was a good day's fishing!
    Last edited by nottskev; Yesterday at 11:21.

Blog Entries

Even when your waters are completely iced over it can sometimes be worth visiting a water (with a camera or a pad and pencil instead of a rod) looking for the locations of any melt holes situated above submerged springs that might be there, so that when the ice has gone you are aware of where these springs are; as these relatively warm springs can be magnets for feeding fish during the coldest of months as the temperatures will often remain steady throughout the whole of the year (see pic below showing typical signs to look out for).

Welcome to Verulam Angling Club

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; Yesterday at 16:49.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Yes- but not always .... is a good maxim.

I'm also a river floatfisher by preference.
    I usually feed more in the winter than in the summer because
    a) I'm fishing more productive venues such as the Wye, Sever or Old Nene at March
    b) These are also "bigger" venues so need to attract from a wider swim
    c) I target chub more in the winter and you can "give em a gallon" as the saying used to go. TBH it's more like 5 pints usually for a 5 hour match.

I forgot to say. If you want to find roach on a normal level river or a stillwater take a walk at dusk. I promise you will see them topping.
    Also on walks you will see fish scatter. Pike and perch are there scattering the fish because thats where the fish are.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by silvers View Post
    Yes- but not always .... is a good maxim.

I'm also a river floatfisher by preference.
    I usually feed more in the winter than in the summer because
    a) I'm fishing more productive venues such as the Wye, Sever or Old Nene at March
    b) These are also "bigger" venues so need to attract from a wider swim
    c) I target chub more in the winter and you can "give em a gallon" as the saying used to go. TBH it's more like 5 pints usually for a 5 hour match.
    Don't fish the Ivel then Alex,when we used to fish the Trent in its hayday,a gallon of bronze,or 6 pints of caster,in the summer,in winter you would carry 4pints wouldnt expect to use 2,let's be honest,you wouldn't throw much bait in the Old Men's in summer,the fish aren't there,the Wye is solid,but I wonder how many reasonable weights are thrown away by feeding for sixty to eighty pounds,look at the Ouse,I've never thrown a gallon in in five hours,sometimes four pints,normally 2/3,to me it wasn't the quantity,but the regularity,how many times have you fished a decent peg,had 15/20lbs of chub,framed and gone away chuffed,often you should have been gutted,most of those days you and I left sixty or seventy pounds still munching our feed,fish are crafty and turn away from our hookbait countless times,I remember Alan Brown pleasure fishing down chub alley at Radwell,he had four or five ABC lads watching as he sprayed countless pints of maggot out,the chub loved it,didn't catch many though,they were flying around picking up lose offerings and not taking his,he fetched a fly rod out and caught two in three casts before they sussed it again,he caught four and fed nearly a gallon,I sat the next peg up(and not as good a swim as he was on)and had 10,fed a pint and a half,still had them claring about,I fished a 2bb peacock,2" long, fished a foot deep,still had plenty turn away,but maximised fish on the bank,that was summer,I find roach can require more bait,if they're having it in February and March,purely because of numbers,but now,nah,no chance,unless coloured water saves your bacon...

That said I would probably carry four pints,just in case...
    Last edited by whitty; Yesterday at 19:26.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12