Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  20
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Winter fishing - tactics and info on what the actual Fish do in the worser weather

As a returnee to fishing, Ive noe realised I know next to nothing about wild fish behaviour, in particular, how the weather changes this behaviour.

So, now the weather has turned, I need to understand the fish a lot more.

Help me learn how to they behave and whats best to try int he harder months please.

Any links also welcome

Default Re: Winter fishing - tactics and info on what the actual Fish do in the worser weathe

In a nutshell, feed less and scale down your bait and end tackle.

Default Re: Winter fishing - tactics and info on what the actual Fish do in the worser weathe

When the water cools down all fish eat a less because they are less active and therefore need less food.
    So even on stocked commercials feeding less, smaller baits is normally the order of the day.
    A lot of people for some reason switch over from carp to pike why I don’t know because it’s now the worst time of the year for pike fishing and carp can now be caught all year round.
    Why they think pike are different to other fish and feed better in the cold is buried somewhere in the mists of time.

I would say exactly as above as Peter fishes in Herts canals which get more challenging when the colour drops out in the winter.
    You must settle for less. Sometimes a few bites from small fish will be enough on a hard day.

There are some waters where you are more likely than others to catch in winter. Experience and talking to other anglers will find these "go to" waters.
    On a canal for example they are likely to be in urban stretches.
    Some lakes have a deep part that attracts fish in the cold.

I ALWAYS have worm with me in winter. Its surprising how a small piece of worm on a 16/18 to 1.1bs bottom will get bites when a maggot has been ignored. Chop a few up and scatter round your float for best effect.

Join a club to plug into the grapevine. I used to live in Herts and fish a large Herts club waters. Some of the very best barbel/chub/roach fishing was when my landing net had frozen to the ground.

Often there is no point in early starts. Midday to dusk can be the very best few hours.

All the written advice on here will not be as good as getting boots on the ground and observing and fishing.

And wrap up warmer than you think you might need to.

Quote Originally Posted by steve2 View Post
    When the water cools down all fish eat a less because they are less active and therefore need less food.

A lot of people for some reason switch over from carp to pike why I don’t know because it’s now the worst time of the year for pike fishing and carp can now be caught all year round.
    Why they think pike are different to other fish and feed better in the cold is buried somewhere in the mists of time.
    In reply to Steve. I fish for pike in winter. I also do all other sorts of fishing in winter. I do this because quite simply there is so much fishing to do and only one life to do it in. Its a very handy way to grab some baits from the freezer and get on my local river which is fisherable when the choking weed has died down.
    I agree that carp can be caught all year round now. The trouble comes this time of year for me insomuch I have had so many by now ( not bragging just truth) that I just avoid them until the summer.

Some fish are more active in the cold than others so if you want a few bites it makes sense to target those. Chub for example are widespread and will feed on the coldest day and are big enough to put a nice bend in the rod.

They are also an excellent fish to learn about things like watercraft. If your new or returning to angling you can do allot worse then take a single rod, a few bits of tackle and a loaf of bread down to a local river and spend the day roving around fishing for them. You will learn allot.
    Last edited by Philip; 10-11-2019 at 19:17.

Blog Entries

Great advice given in the previous posts, but one thing that I haven’t seen mentioned so far is that once the temperatures start to drop through the floor; the fish are less inclined to move around looking for their food as much as they do in warmer temperatures, and they are often more inclined to stay in much tighter and more static shoals, so moving around to different swims until you find them can often make the difference between a good or bad day.

On the rivers and streams they are also a bit less inclined to chase after their food quite as much as they do in warmer temperatures; however if the temperatures have been steady or rising for a couple of days (even when it’s still very cold out) the fish can be a little more inclined to move around looking for morsels of food moving past in the current; but still not as much as they do in warmer temperatures.

Beware of things like rain or snow melt which is coming off of busy roads during the winter months as well, as this can sometimes be the kiss of death.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 11-11-2019 at 15:49.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Thanks all, some good input.....

I only fish rivers during winter (come to that, I only fish rivers full stop) because the flow means the fish are expending energy to hold station so have to feed whether they like it or not. Agree with above comment about fish becoming much more localised so a roving approach with big smelly baits (cheesepaste, meat) should give results. If you have not had any interest after 20 minute there is probably no one home so move on. Wrap up very warm-sitting around in sub zero temperatures is no joke if you are cold. Take some food/drink. I would also target one river/stretch and get to know that like the back of your hand rather than running around here there and everywhere.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast