Any universal quiver tips you would recommend?

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Good morning from oxford

It's so cold... and I got bronchitis => On the forum instead of the bank!

I'm wondering if anyone would recommend a particular make of universal quiver tips, those that are advertised on ebay, amazon etc I've asked at the tackle shop and they don't do these. Some go for £5, some for £15!

In winter I thought I'd try a more sensitive tip, fiber glass maybe, to use a lighter cage as well. Cormoran doesn't make them.

My rod is a Cormoran GF Feeder 10' (50-170 gr). Supposedly the lightest of the tips is a carbon 1.5 oz but is it true I don't know since my mate use a Colmic rod, with a 3 oz tip that bends on a 1 oz cage. Mine hardly bends over a 2 oz cage.

Thanks!

Jim Crosskey 2

Reaction score
I would be a little bit cautious of "universal" quiver tips because i'm pretty sure that whilst some manufacturers tips will interchange (for example, my greys and Drennan tips are completely interchangeable), there's no absolute standard. Also, in some cases a manufacturer will change their quiver tips (so I believe Daiwa older rods, pre 2012 or similar are one size but later rods maybe different? Someone with more experience of this will doubtless be along). Either way, I would try to measure your current tip and then see if you can find something with the same diameter.

Also, for what it's worth - my experience of carbon vs fibre glass is as follows: if I actually wanted to rely on the quiver tip for really telling me about the bite then it's a glass tip all the way. Carbon tips are much less responsive, great for fishing the method/ carp/ barbel - but in all of those cases, is a quiver tip really doing anything? You're likely fishing a self-hooking rig so really when it goes, the fish is already on.

My Drennan feeder rod come with three different tips, but in reality, the 2oz glass tip has never been taken off it, it's absolutely perfect as far as i'm concerned and blends so well with the rod that I just don't see the point in changing. It will see a lot of action over the coming months as it's my go-to chub rod. I guess the action of one quiver tip to another could be as different as one rod to another, and the glass tips tend to be soft and through actioned (whereas the carbon tips always seem to be stiffer). Seeing how a weight might bend that soft tip might make you think it would be damaged in the cast, however when you make a cast its the rod taking the load and not the tip.

Also, those weight guides they put on them are just that - a guide. I've used that 2oz tip for link legering a weight of a couple of ssg; I've also chucked out a fully loaded 2oz feeder with it just as happily. It's what it does after the cast that's important. What I find is that a bite on a glass tip can load up far more progressively meaning that the fish effectively feels less resistance and they hang on just a fraction of a second more, which then gives you more opportunity to strike.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get lots of different answers to this, but for me it's a glass tip every time, preferably "slow taper" - according to Drennan, that means - These tips have a through action parabolic curve bending in a long slow arc

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Sylvain, if you are using the rod on the canal I would opt for a .75oz quiver, or at the heaviest a 1oz, I use a 1oz tip when fish commercials for F1's and had no problems, when we meet on the canal i will bring my Daiwa canal wand, it's around 8' long and 30 years old, its ideal for shy biting fish, also i will bring a Shakespeare wand, that's 10' again with a fine tip for shy biting fish,

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Sylvain, if you are using the rod on the canal I would opt for a .75oz quiver, or at the heaviest a 1oz, I use a 1oz tip when fish commercials for F1's and had no problems, when we meet on the canal i will bring my Daiwa canal wand, it's around 8' long and 30 years old, its ideal for shy biting fish, also i will bring a Shakespeare wand, that's 10' again with a fine tip for shy biting fish,

Mark, so tell me, how many rods do you have???? :rolleyes:

john step

Reaction score
If you can mugg markcw for his Shakespeare wand just do it. Failing that try to get one second hand. The older sort thats about 40 years old that is. For light line fishing for silvers the bites develop amazingly.
They were all the rage then and are still the dogs dodahs.
And no mine is not for sale.

mikench

Reaction score
Far too many; he moved to Oxford for more space . Sylvain do you know a retired butcher from Nice by the same name ?

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
If you can mugg markcw for his Shakespeare wand just do it. Failing that try to get one second hand. The older sort thats about 40 years old that is. For light line fishing for silvers the bites develop amazingly.
They were all the rage then and are still the dogs dodahs.
And no mine is not for sale.

I even have a Shakespeare swingtip rod , Sylvain I have a few rods, poles, I have three 16 metre poles,a 10 metre pole, and whips, plus seatboxes, but not as many as some on here,

sylvanillo

Reaction score
... Either way, I would try to measure your current tip and then see if you can find something with the same diameter.

I will. Thank you very much for taking all this time to explain.
while reading you I remembered that during my stay in Belgium I had purchased a rod in Germany, from "MS-Range", I could not use it because i could only cast very small cages (me at least) anyway so I asked them if i could get a stronger tip aa they sell spares and... they answered they didn"t know! that I should measure myself. Just remembering now.

Also, for what it's worth - my experience of carbon vs fibre glass is as follows: if I actually wanted to rely on the quiver tip for really telling me about the bite then it's a glass tip all the way. Carbon tips are much less responsive, great for fishing the method/ carp/ barbel - but in all of those cases, is a quiver tip really doing anything? You're likely fishing a self-hooking rig so really when it goes, the fish is already on.

Well on the river Meuse the barbel were taking my rod off its rest. With those big breams the most usual bite showed with the tip going back towards me, as if the line had gone loosened. My friend had far more bites showing (on his glass tips).

My Drennan feeder rod come with three different tips, but in reality, the 2oz glass tip has never been taken off it, it's absolutely perfect as far as i'm concerned and blends so well with the rod that I just don't see the point in changing. It will see a lot of action over the coming months as it's my go-to chub rod. I guess the action of one quiver tip to another could be as different as one rod to another, and the glass tips tend to be soft and through actioned (whereas the carbon tips always seem to be stiffer). Seeing how a weight might bend that soft tip might make you think it would be damaged in the cast, however when you make a cast its the rod taking the load and not the tip.

Also, those weight guides they put on them are just that - a guide. I've used that 2oz tip for link legering a weight of a couple of ssg; I've also chucked out a fully loaded 2oz feeder with it just as happily. It's what it does after the cast that's important. What I find is that a bite on a glass tip can load up far more progressively meaning that the fish effectively feels less resistance and they hang on just a fraction of a second more, which then gives you more opportunity to strike.

It wouldn't surprise me if you get lots of different answers to this, but for me it's a glass tip every time, preferably "slow taper" - according to Drennan, that means - These tips have a through action parabolic curve bending in a long slow arc

Thank you , again, for the very detailed explanations. My today's plan is to digest this using a glass of merlot.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Ok I've gone through the Drenan's website, they explain the differences between tips
They state the tips can fit on any rod of their range. If true then that would be cool. I'll see if the tackle shop can show some.

john step

Reaction score
Ok I've gone through the Drenan's website, they explain the differences between tips
They state the tips can fit on any rod of their range. If true then that would be cool. I'll see if the tackle shop can show some.

Sylvanillo Maybe across their range EXCEPT the distance feeder rods.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Sylvain, go to States tackle near linear fisheries or Ace tackle, I have found those two to be the best around here, I was spoilt for choice for good tackle shops up north.

Indeed, Ace is the top. The fisherman's Ali Baba cave. Even if the owner Tony wants to use my little one as a bait :)
Also the owner has fished one of the biggest chub recorded to date in Oxford and perhaps in Uk.