Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  114
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

I recall in my carp fishing days (a long time ago and very amateur), taking low water salmon hooks, cutting down the shank and filing it at an angle, then putting a blob of solder on the end and trying them as spades. Pretty sure it was jack Hilton who came up with it?

But back to spades, tying them with a "gadget" does require practice and checking each tying - for us amateurs- they are not all perfect but practice makes near perfect. That's all really, practice and check.

Blog Entries

One add on,tying spades on too thick a line for said spade causes failure(obviously),the line slips off of the spade,i have this problem with Drennan wide gape 20's,on the Ivel i like to use a 5.5lb(0.16mm) Silstar match team hooklength,due the the possibility of a barbel(vague these days),an 18 is great,the 20 on the other hand iffy,a Drennan carbon chub 20 stays put no problem,cant understand why a forged hook has such a small spade. Anyway,this is a big factor i spade use for specimen fish,you would need a spade the size of a spade to hold say 0.30mm - 10/12lb b.s.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    ........cant understand why a forged hook has such a small spade.
    Probably because the forging is on the bend of the hook at 90 degrees to the spade. And the spade is pro-rata to the wire thickness. So thicker wire = more to flatten.

I didn't take to the Drennan and the Match man I had had been crushed under a car tyre so I bought a new one. It's better but will need practice which I may be incapable of.

Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.-img_4725.jpg

That looks pretty decent, Mike. As people have said, it soon becomes second nature. Beware of that spade though - it will have your arm off, if you're not struck by lightning first

Thanks Kev. I've just tied about 6 hooklength with some superspades and a couple more Kaizen hooks. They look about the same . I doubt I could do it on the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Thanks Kev. I've just tied about 6 hooklength with some superspades and a couple more Kaizen hooks. They look about the same . I doubt I could do it on the bank.

But could you do it on a wet Wednesday night in Stoke? No reason why you won't be tying them on the bank in a bit. And come to think of it, even Stoke can't do it on a wet etc these days.

I notice you're practising on Superspades. I've not used them for years now, so I'm wondering what you use them for. (While guessing they might be a recommend from a certain river angler who catches a lot of chub and barbel). I would think they're a slightly difficult hook to practise on, as they have, as I remember, if not a short shank, a shortish medium shank, and that doesn't leave you a lot to whip the turns on when you have the hook clamped. Many lighter hooks have relatively longer shanks, and might well prove a bit easier to work with.

You guessed right. The masters favourite hook. I just happened to have a pack in size 14 to practice on.

Blog Entries

I
    Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    You might be surprised at how easy it is to tie a spade end hook using a hook tyer when you’re on the bank; I used to occasionally tie spades on the bank when I was short of ready tied hooks, and it was a doddle as the slight tension placed on the line from the slightly bent rod tip made using the Matchman hook tyer a lot easier. It was like having an extra hand.

Keith
    Last edited by Keith M; 28-11-2019 at 15:05.
    Happiness is fish shaped (It used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith M View Post
    I

You might be surprised at how easy it is to tie a spade end hook using a hook tyer when you’re on the bank; I used to occasionally tie spades on the bank when I was short of ready tied hooks, and it was a doddle as the slight tension placed on the line from the slightly bent rod tip made using the Matchman hook tyer a lot easier. It was like having an extra hand.

Keith
    Absolutely. For that reason, I'd much rather tie hooks on on the bank. Doing it at a desk or bench involves the rigmarole of putting weights on the spool or clamping it somehow, and the longer line is easier to tension just nicely. Similarly, I prefer to tie pole rigs sitting on my box in the garden with the line attached to a top kit. Much easier to tension it to attach shot, tie hooks etc. Gets the odd sarcastic question from passers by, but small price to pay.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast