Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  120
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast
Results 171 to 180 of 188
  1. #171
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In God's County: Wiltshire
    Posts
    22,899
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    With practice the Matchman hook tyer is as good as any, but when making a large number of hook lenghts I prefer an old Sensas Pierotti tyer. It is simple to use and you make each one to a set length, so necessary for feeder fishing or pole rig hook lengths.

    I am unsure if they are stil available but I swear by mine . . . . this is not the best description but better than nothnig:

    Sensas Pierotti Hook Tyer - Benwick Sports Angling Centre

    Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

    Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

    Patrick F. McManus






  2. #172

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Mike, what do you need hooklengths for? Unless your targetting particularly shy educated fish your creating a weak spot in your set up for nothing .

  3. #173
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    12,742

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    As Einstein said Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

    You're a genius Ian.

    I use them when I want a weaker hooklength on snaggy venues or where there are overhanging branches. They save floats that way. I'm still experimenting.
    Last edited by mikench; 27-01-2020 at 11:53.

  4. #174
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,980

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    Mike, what do you need hooklengths for? Unless your targetting particularly shy educated fish your creating a weak spot in your set up for nothing .
    There's one minor snag here, if Mike is ever going to use spade end hooks, he still needs to learn to tie them somehow. Whether he persists in using hooklinks (as he does with pre-tied) is largely immaterial. Besides, having a deliberately created weaker link is hardly a terrible thing, especially for a relative novice. I would suggest that the majority of experienced anglers won't fish straight through, preferring the safety first aspect of using a hooklink that will break before their mainline.

  5. #175

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    There's one minor snag here, if Mike is ever going to use spade end hooks, he still needs to learn to tie them somehow. Whether he persists in using hooklinks (as he does with pre-tied) is largely immaterial. Besides, having a deliberately created weaker link is hardly a terrible thing, especially for a relative novice. I would suggest that the majority of experienced anglers won't fish straight through, preferring the safety first aspect of using a hooklink that will break before their mainline.

    The waters i've fished where I know Mike frequents there is no need for a hooklength unless there's a lack of bites. The places aren't at all snaggy being purpose built commy type venues so the chance of being broke off by a fish puulling back are very slim and can be practically eliminated by playing the fish rather than trying to scull drag it out. Regarding the loss of floats in a tree, more often than not the mainline gets wraped up amongst the twigs also and so the lines gonn'a snap anyhow....that's why there are so many floats with an acompanying bundle of line hanging in trees on venues.
    I've found that my hook usually opens up before my line snaps when fishing straight through or the line snaps off around the shotting area.

  6. #176
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    North Yorkshire.
    Posts
    10,980

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Quote Originally Posted by tigger View Post
    The waters i've fished where I know Mike frequents there is no need for a hooklength unless there's a lack of bites. The places aren't at all snaggy being purpose built commy type venues so the chance of being broke off by a fish puulling back are very slim and can be practically eliminated by playing the fish rather than trying to scull drag it out. Regarding the loss of floats in a tree, more often than not the mainline gets wraped up amongst the twigs also and so the lines gonn'a snap anyhow....that's why there are so many floats with an acompanying bundle of line hanging in trees on venues. I've found that my hook usually opens up before my line snaps when fishing straight through or the line snaps off around the shotting area.
    That's fair enough, but Mike still needs to learn to tie a spade end hook somehow. Whether it's direct to mainline or a hooklink is largely immaterial.

  7. #177
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    leafy cheshire
    Posts
    12,742

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Thanks for all your replies. I remain on a learning curve and there are waters which do have snags and overhanging branches. I enjoy the trials and tribulations of fishing, including messing, tying hooklengths, respooling reels, buying tackle and trying every known bait. I only started this lark as a lad of a certain age and won't live long enough to master it but I will, literally and metaphorically , die trying. I've got a new pin to try next along with a few new rods, my hooklengths, new boots and a few other gems. I still have fish to catch.

  8. #178

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Thanks for all your replies. I remain on a learning curve and there are waters which do have snags and overhanging branches. I enjoy the trials and tribulations of fishing, including messing, tying hooklengths, respooling reels, buying tackle and trying every known bait. I only started this lark as a lad of a certain age and won't live long enough to master it but I will, literally and metaphorically , die trying. I've got a new pin to try next along with a few new rods, my hooklengths, new boots and a few other gems. I still have fish to catch.


    I'm confident you'll master it with ease Mike, there really isn't much of difficulty....appart from tying knots lol. .

    Regarding the hooklengths, I was trying to say you don't always need to have a hooklength and for me personally i'd prefer to do without one if it's possible. Imo hooklengths cause a lot of unnecessary problems and loose a lot of fish that would otherwise have been landed.

  9. #179

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    I also do mine all by hand. Down to an 18s then it's my fingers that are too thick. Learned the trick before all the hook tiers and most hooks were spades in the older days, honest? You just have to keep a tight line off the spool.

  10. #180

    Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

    Quote Originally Posted by dicky123 View Post
    I also do mine all by hand. Down to an 18s then it's my fingers that are too thick. Learned the trick before all the hook tiers and most hooks were spades in the older days, honest? You just have to keep a tight line off the spool.

    Snap!.....like you Dicky I tie mine by hand, usually on the bank. It was 12 months since I tied some 20's sized hooks and same as you struggle holding them with my fingers.
    Luckily I don't often go below 18's and usually 16 or 14's.

    I do use spades down to a size 8 and make a longer tag end should I want a hair.
    Makes me laugh when people say spades are only suitable for smaller fish!
    Last edited by tigger; 28-01-2020 at 14:04.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 816171819 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •