Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

rayner

Reaction score
I used to tie all my hooks by hand, when I was a lad I doubt hook tiers were around. They may well have been but I never needed one.
I also used to dub my own straight shanks, spades are far stronger. I hate change of any kind so It took me a while to turn to spades. They're less fiddly to tie than any other hook with a tidy enough knot even with a matchmen hook tier. I have never used a ready tied hook, I hope I never need to. I wish I could manage to finger tie now.

Reaction score
Im afraid tying hooks direct to main line,or using hooklinks is dependant on preference and venue,ive done both,usually tying direct when barbel are expected,but i have total confidence in a hooklink,unless its too light for the fish on the end,ive had lots of good carp(15-25lbs)and a few catfish on 4.6lb silstar and and only lose them if im cut off,i play fish to the limits of my tackle,i can catch fish in summer straight through,buf roach i winter need smaller hooks and lighter lines...

But use what you think is right,for you,no one else matters,period...(EVEN SENSOR)....

Last edited:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you go back and read my post Alan, you might notice where I posted shy or educated fish may need a hoooklength (obviously lower diameter) rolleyes:.
If and when I use a bottom I usually use silstar myself.
Regarding roach, i've been fortunate to catch several topping three pound...whilst using sensor :tongue1:

The Sogster

Reaction score
As a youth I always used to favour eyed hooks, I couldn't seem to perfect tying spade ends plus I was always worried about a sharp spade end cutting the knot. Quality control wasn't quite the same in those days.

However as I have aged I have tended to favour spade ends for the presentation without the problems I used to fear.
Perversely as my eyesight has worsened I find it quicker and easier to tie a spade end with the matchman hooktyer than an eyed hook, even on the bank.

For larger hooks and big fish I still prefer eyed hooks although I have found that the local canal roach are hard to hit on a 2/0 Aberdeen. :)

Reaction score
Yeah Ian,we can all relate to catching roach on heavy gear(not 3lbers,not me anyway),the carp boys catch no end on carp gear,its horses for courses isnt it,i find it difficult to break 4.6 sistar or above on a match rod,even on my Normark specimen match,3.3 is a little easier mind,also your river venues are pacey at best,with a high risk of a barbel,I would not hesitate fishing straight through and in any case the smaller species like roach and dace will only have milliseconds to take a bait anyway,tying a spade end hook however is the same on a hooklink or direct to me as i do both on the bank,i look at tie match boys hooklength boxes today and shudder....

The sensor quip was unfair,as i knew your feelings on it and expected the response,its personal choice and what you yourself are happy with and confident in,along wit a lot of other anglers...

Last edited:

Reaction score
As a youth I always used to favour eyed hooks, I couldn't seem to perfect tying spade ends plus I was always worried about a sharp spade end cutting the knot. Quality control wasn't quite the same in those days.

However as I have aged I have tended to favour spade ends for the presentation without the problems I used to fear.
Perversely as my eyesight has worsened I find it quicker and easier to tie a spade end with the matchman hooktyer than an eyed hook, even on the bank.

For larger hooks and big fish I still prefer eyed hooks although I have found that the local canal roach are hard to hit on a 2/0 Aberdeen. :)

Oh i dont know,single squat sits quite well on a 2/0,lol,in summer on many venues i use eyed hooks,because im using different baits and persuing different fish(horses for courses again),which in my opinion need different patterns of hook,personal choice comes back in the picture...

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
The sensor quip was unfair,as i knew your feelings on it and expected the response,its personal choice and what you yourself are happy with and confident in,along wit a lot of other anglers...

No worries Alan, I just use the stuff, I have no feelings for it.
If it didn't work then i'd waste my coin on another brand, which would be pearlon. I do like pearlon but it doesn't come in bulk spools to my knowlage and it's not quite as durable as sensor.
I used to use prestons and silstar for hooklengths but have come to the conlusion that silstar is the better option for me.

rayner

Reaction score
I'm from a similar school has witty. I push it a step further where I have never fished straight through. Hook lengths have always been my choice.
Fishing commercials I know the size of fish I could encounter. Even so I've never felt the need to go heavier than .16. generally .14 is plenty strong enough to handle carp to mid doubles with the correct elastic in my pole. When pellet waggler fishing I never exceed .14 hook length.
Reel lines are fixed at Maxima .22 which equates to 6lb. It's the strongest I have ever gone for feeder. My only deviation from .22 is when I fish waggler then .17 that comes out at 4lb.
It seems all my hooks now are eyed, for knotless.
I rarely use spades now, if I fish for silvers I would certainly use spades, the silver fish have been removed from the waters by the EA for breading purposes, there was supposed to be a stocking of bream to replace the fish removed, if this as happened I don't know. It's last October since I last fished.
I have never had a spade cut through my knot, the trick is to tighten the line to the shank before pulling the knot to the spade.