Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

theartist

Reaction score
I use a scrabble dictionary, seems the perfect weight for a spool at home as is pretty redundant as a book :D

Never felt the need to do them on the bank, mind with the old hayfever and now the eyes going a bit I dare say I ever will.

Looks like a good job Mike I'd be happy with them too

nottskev

Reaction score
I use a scrabble dictionary, seems the perfect weight for a spool at home as is pretty redundant as a book :D

Have you tried a thesaurus? That can be quite suitable, apposite, appropriate, fitting.......

Reaction score
Well done Mike,you will soon do the on the bank when you get confident.

I agree on the theory of tying them on a tight line from the rod top,however i can tie them with just a length of line,tightening it with my fingers if im tying a new hook when im feeder fishing and the feeder is out fishing,its a knack,again confidence,its more difficult,but not that much...

bracket

Reaction score
At the risk of being boring, as I have put this up, before here is my amateur video on how I tie spade end hooks. Not everyone's choice but it's worked for me this last 64 years. Pete.
YouTube

peterjg

Reaction score
Bracket, many thanks indeed for showing your video of your spade end knot. In my 60 years of fishing I have not seen that version of knot before. I will certainly be experimenting! Thanks again.

Reaction score
At the risk of being boring, as I have put this up, before here is my amateur video on how I tie spade end hooks. Not everyone's choice but it's worked for me this last 64 years. Pete.
YouTube

Great that Pete,im afraid at sixty five and my sausage fingers,i will continue with my hook tyers,maybe if i was thirty lol,on eyed hooks i used half blood,or tucked half blood knots for years,people told me i should change to a palomar,i cant get 100%(or anything near)reliability and find the uni knot far more reliable,horses for courses i reckon and as you tied them for the trade you could probably tie them with your eyes closed,a great knack...

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm impressed,too. I can tie spades by hand, but only the odd one these days in a warm room in good light! For eyed hooks, I've ended up preferring a grinner to a tucked half-blood - it might be just me, but the grinner, with the turns whipped around the doubled line, seems to pull down better with less risk of binding and damaging the line above the hook. I like the palomar for heavy line and big hooks, like, say, meat for barbel when you want it on the hook rather than on a hair.

bracket

Reaction score
Cheers Pete, I enjoyed that. I must be ill!:rolleyes:

Thanks Mike. May be if I added a backing track by that renowned blue man Blind Hooker Tier Bracket it may by more therapeutic. . Pete.

nottskev

Reaction score
Thanks Mike. May be if I added a backing track by that renowned blue man Blind Hooker Tier Bracket it may by more therapeutic. . Pete.

There's always Catfish Blues. Naturally, there's a Muddy Waters version, too.

YouTube

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Good to see you’re using Kaizen hooks, popular since the seventies.

YouTube

bracket

Reaction score
There's always Catfish Blues. Naturally, there's a Muddy Waters version, too.

Spot on nottskev. I have several versions of this standard, those two included. The original and definitive being by Robert Petway:
YouTube

nottskev

Reaction score
I didn't know that! I was reminded of the song when I bumped into this recently in one of my intermittent efforts to teach myself. No other human should ever have to listen, but I enjoy it, though the harder I try the worse I get.

YouTube