Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

mikench

Reaction score
Don't be so sure. Anyway back to spade end hooks ...... nah!:rolleyes:

Which barbless spade end for roach fishing?

Last edited:

Reaction score
All dependant on what sized roach,how heavy handed you are,rods/poles being used,distances being fished,a plethora of answers available Mike...

mikench

Reaction score
By Jove I think he's got it. I managed at least 10 hooklengths yesterday using the matchman, Tubertini 808 hooks in size 18 and guru n gauge mono. It's a lot easier when the spool is clamped to a table top and with a nice cold beer.

Last edited:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
With practice the Matchman hook tyer is as good as any, but when making a large number of hook lenghts I prefer an old Sensas Pierotti tyer. It is simple to use and you make each one to a set length, so necessary for feeder fishing or pole rig hook lengths.

I am unsure if they are stil available but I swear by mine . . . . this is not the best description but better than nothnig:

Sensas Pierotti Hook Tyer - Benwick Sports Angling Centre

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mike, what do you need hooklengths for? Unless your targetting particularly shy educated fish your creating a weak spot in your set up for nothing ;).

mikench

Reaction score
As Einstein said Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

You're a genius Ian.:)

I use them when I want a weaker hooklength on snaggy venues or where there are overhanging branches. They save floats that way. I'm still experimenting.

Last edited:

sam vimes

Reaction score
Mike, what do you need hooklengths for? Unless your targetting particularly shy educated fish your creating a weak spot in your set up for nothing ;).

There's one minor snag here, if Mike is ever going to use spade end hooks, he still needs to learn to tie them somehow. Whether he persists in using hooklinks (as he does with pre-tied) is largely immaterial. Besides, having a deliberately created weaker link is hardly a terrible thing, especially for a relative novice. I would suggest that the majority of experienced anglers won't fish straight through, preferring the safety first aspect of using a hooklink that will break before their mainline.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
There's one minor snag here, if Mike is ever going to use spade end hooks, he still needs to learn to tie them somehow. Whether he persists in using hooklinks (as he does with pre-tied) is largely immaterial. Besides, having a deliberately created weaker link is hardly a terrible thing, especially for a relative novice. I would suggest that the majority of experienced anglers won't fish straight through, preferring the safety first aspect of using a hooklink that will break before their mainline.

The waters i've fished where I know Mike frequents there is no need for a hooklength unless there's a lack of bites. The places aren't at all snaggy being purpose built commy type venues so the chance of being broke off by a fish puulling back are very slim and can be practically eliminated by playing the fish rather than trying to scull drag it out. Regarding the loss of floats in a tree, more often than not the mainline gets wraped up amongst the twigs also and so the lines gonn'a snap anyhow....that's why there are so many floats with an acompanying bundle of line hanging in trees on venues.
I've found that my hook usually opens up before my line snaps when fishing straight through or the line snaps off around the shotting area.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The waters i've fished where I know Mike frequents there is no need for a hooklength unless there's a lack of bites. The places aren't at all snaggy being purpose built commy type venues so the chance of being broke off by a fish puulling back are very slim and can be practically eliminated by playing the fish rather than trying to scull drag it out. Regarding the loss of floats in a tree, more often than not the mainline gets wraped up amongst the twigs also and so the lines gonn'a snap anyhow....that's why there are so many floats with an acompanying bundle of line hanging in trees on venues. I've found that my hook usually opens up before my line snaps when fishing straight through or the line snaps off around the shotting area.
That's fair enough, but Mike still needs to learn to tie a spade end hook somehow. Whether it's direct to mainline or a hooklink is largely immaterial.

mikench

Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I remain on a learning curve and there are waters which do have snags and overhanging branches. I enjoy the trials and tribulations of fishing, including messing, tying hooklengths, respooling reels, buying tackle and trying every known bait. I only started this lark as a lad of a certain age and won't live long enough to master it but I will, literally and metaphorically , die trying. I've got a new pin to try next along with a few new rods, my hooklengths, new boots and a few other gems. I still have fish to catch.:)

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Thanks for all your replies. I remain on a learning curve and there are waters which do have snags and overhanging branches. I enjoy the trials and tribulations of fishing, including messing, tying hooklengths, respooling reels, buying tackle and trying every known bait. I only started this lark as a lad of a certain age and won't live long enough to master it but I will, literally and metaphorically , die trying. I've got a new pin to try next along with a few new rods, my hooklengths, new boots and a few other gems. I still have fish to catch.:)

I'm confident you'll master it with ease Mike, there really isn't much of difficulty....appart from tying knots lol. :).

Regarding the hooklengths, I was trying to say you don't always need to have a hooklength and for me personally i'd prefer to do without one if it's possible. Imo hooklengths cause a lot of unnecessary problems and loose a lot of fish that would otherwise have been landed.

dicky123

Reaction score
I also do mine all by hand. Down to an 18s then it's my fingers that are too thick. Learned the trick before all the hook tiers and most hooks were spades in the older days, honest? You just have to keep a tight line off the spool.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I also do mine all by hand. Down to an 18s then it's my fingers that are too thick. Learned the trick before all the hook tiers and most hooks were spades in the older days, honest? You just have to keep a tight line off the spool.

Snap!.....like you ****y I tie mine by hand, usually on the bank. It was 12 months since I tied some 20's sized hooks and same as you struggle holding them with my fingers.
Luckily I don't often go below 18's and usually 16 or 14's.

I do use spades down to a size 8 and make a longer tag end should I want a hair.
Makes me laugh when people say spades are only suitable for smaller fish!

Last edited: