Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  99
Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    It is? Then how have I and countless others used spade ends without problem for decades? Why so reluctant to accept what people tell you and what is so obviously, looking at the hooks sold, their use by highly successful anglers etc etc, the case?

Are there any other dangers we should be looking out for? Perhaps beavers?
    I am only reluctant because it goes against every rational logical thought I have when I look at a spade end. And I have explained that quite a few times now and the reason I did that is because everyone thinks I was being irrational which was irrational.
    Last edited by markg; 27-11-2019 at 08:50.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Are there any other dangers we should be looking out for? Perhaps beavers?

The Spanish Inquisition perhaps. This thread is beginning to remind me of Donald Rumsfeld and the discussion on known unknowns, unknown unknowns and the unknowns we know but don't know we know. Yes I am losing the plot and spade end hooks are at fault.
    Last edited by mikench; 27-11-2019 at 09:18.

Blog Entries

Anyway,going back to the topic it seems there are as many people not confident tying spade ends as those who are,so you are not alone Mike....

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    I don’t dispute that eyed do not give as good a presentation as spade nor that you have never had a problem with them breaking. Nor re Whitty’s post that they catch lots of very large fish. What I dispute is that it never ever happens, could never happen, its impossible that it would happen and the spade is not a danger to the line. For me it’s just there in front of my eyes when I look at a spade end, there is a bloody relative large spiky sharp bit of metal right next to line and a potential abrasion point and/or snap off. I am just surprised no one thinks of this because it’s so obvious to me since I first started fishing. And although it might only happen once in a thousand sessions, it could happen and likely to happen at the worst moment. I don’t want that risk; I just don’t have that risk with eyed. I don’t use hooks less than a 16 and I get the eye is more of a problem when you get smaller, the eye becomes larger in relation to the hook but I never use smaller than a 16 and I don’t mind the presentation.
    I'd typed out a big long response and suffered a brain fart and lost it.
    Honestly, I really don't care what you end up using. All I was doing was responding to your assertions that people only use spades due to convention or dogma. I care nothing for either. I use whatever works out best for me based on actually using it/them. If I'd had any hint of trouble with spades, I wouldn't be using them.

I can see that lack of confidence in spade ends might be a factor. Back when I started tying hooks I had loads of failures and I always retied a hook if the end of the line was curley or came off the hook at the wrong angle. But in 50 years of fishing I doubt I've had 1% of the fish I've caught on eyed hooks and in total I've had approaching 200,000. For roach fishing I can't think of any situation where a spade-end isn't superior to eyed. Howard Humphrey did teach me to tie spade ends by hand but I can seem to master it. I've watched Ivan tying by hand as well on the bank.

Back in the late 70s/early 80s Colin Dyson who was joint editor of Coarse Angler magazine experimented with dubbing hooks using silk whipping which gives a superior finish to spade ends but more trouble. He reckoned more bites hit and better presentation. In essence he removed the spade, tied a half hitch in the end of the line then after a dab of superglue whipped on the hook with fine silk. Back in the 60s the first hooks I ever used were always tied like this. I'll see if I can find the article in a minute.

I must admit that when I tied my own hooks I never bothered to check which way the line came off the hook. I just put bait on the hook and went fishing if there was a difference I never noticed any.
    Unlike Mark I would say the majority of my fish have been caught using eyed hooks simply because that is what I use most of the time. Like others use spade ends and catch all their fish on them.
    I also remember buying hooks with no eye or spade and gluing or use varnish to help hold them once tied.
    Happy Days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I can see that lack of confidence in spade ends might be a factor. Back when I started tying hooks I had loads of failures and I always retied a hook if the end of the line was curley or came off the hook at the wrong angle. But in 50 years of fishing I doubt I've had 1% of the fish I've caught on eyed hooks and in total I've had approaching 200,000. For roach fishing I can't think of any situation where a spade-end isn't superior to eyed. Howard Humphrey did teach me to tie spade ends by hand but I can seem to master it. I've watched Ivan tying by hand as well on the bank.

Back in the late 70s/early 80s Colin Dyson who was joint editor of Coarse Angler magazine experimented with dubbing hooks using silk whipping which gives a superior finish to spade ends but more trouble. He reckoned more bites hit and better presentation. In essence he removed the spade, tied a half hitch in the end of the line then after a dab of superglue whipped on the hook with fine silk. Back in the 60s the first hooks I ever used were always tied like this. I'll see if I can find the article in a minute.
    I was wondering about glued back in an earlier post as well as a modified spade. I must have first used them in the 60's and the design has not changed in all that time and I am guessing not for a long time before that. I would favour a modified spade, all you need is a smooth bump that the knot could not pass over, the spade seems a bit of an overkill to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    Mark. I would like to read that. In the mid fifties Jim Sharp, a noted Nottingham matchman in his day, gave me a demo on how to whip a straight hook with silk. The hooks he used were manufacture with a straight shank, not doctored spade ends. I don't' remember what they were called but the term "dubbed" does ring a bell somewhere. Not having the luxury of super glue, Jim sealed the hook whippings with cellulose dope, something I have done ever since. I first began fishing with rod and line in 1950. That is fishing in earnest, as opposed to it being an alternative activity to counting the number of dead dogs in Nottingham Canal. In those days I would use pre tied gilt hooks on cat gut, tied as described above. I don't know if spade end hooks were available then. If so I was never aware of them. I know I was using, and tying spade ends, when I fished my first Adult match aged 14. That was in 1955, and they were in common use then, but I have no idea when they were first introduced on to the market. Do you have any references in your Data Bank? Pete.
    Casternets

Quote Originally Posted by bracket View Post
    Mark. I would like to read that. In the mid fifties Jim Sharp, a noted Nottingham matchman in his day, gave me a demo on how to whip a straight hook with silk. The hooks he used were manufacture with a straight shank, not doctored spade ends. I don't' remember what they were called but the term "dubbed" does ring a bell somewhere. Not having the luxury of super glue, Jim sealed the hook whippings with cellulose dope, something I have done ever since. I first began fishing with rod and line in 1950. That is fishing in earnest, as opposed to it being an alternative activity to counting the number of dead dogs in Nottingham Canal. In those days I would use pre tied gilt hooks on cat gut, tied as described above. I don't know if spade end hooks were available then. If so I was never aware of them. I know I was using, and tying spade ends, when I fished my first Adult match aged 14. That was in 1955, and they were in common use then, but I have no idea when they were first introduced on to the market. Do you have any references in your Data Bank? Pete.
    You have a pm re the article.

It seems that spade ends increased in popularity quickly after WW2 as nylon came into use. I suspect gut doesn't like the spade end knots and silk whipping is better. The reference to this I have is a 1950 match fishing book.

Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast