Thanks Thanks:  17
Likes Likes:  99
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

I am still finding it hard to comprehend how some anglers(Mike for one)find it so difficult to tie spade end hooks,I know quite a few tie them by hand,something I can't do,but with relatively cheap hooktyers available it's a job anyone can do,if not on the bank like me,certainly at home in the living room,if you can't grasp it from the instructions,you tube will show you,crikey you can put it on your TV and have a birds eye view,I'm sure I could teach someone to do it in a short time...

Default Re: Tying spade end hooks and hooklengths,or the inability to.

Guilty as charged. I’ve tried, not very hard admittedly, but even with a hook tyer I fail. Like marrying Nigella it was not meant to be.

What's the advantage of a spade end? Is it worth the bother?

I have the onset of arthritis in my fingers and am hopeless with knot tying bar a few exceptions that do the job for me, however I have become quite proficient with a matchman hooktyer, still use readymade most of the time though.

Another fishing forum has gone on at length about the Gizmo product and in discussions related it’s surprising just how many anglers can’t get on with the matchman tyer. All the videos I’ve see show you how to do it, so why do people still get it wrong? It’s very easy to make just a few tiny mistakes in the process, a video showing the right way plus all the wrong ways would be helpful.

I can do them with a matchman hook tyer at home, but wouldn’t attempt to do it on the bank. I make up hook lengths 10 at a time all same length bs hook size etc. Only use spade ends 16 downwards.
    I found a bit of electrical insulation tape in the jaws where the hook is gripped helped a lot, stops the hook moving around.

Blog Entries

I take it you mean 16's and smaller Rich?I use 14 and smaller,I tie on the bank,I've used and use matchman,drennan,a tyer I don't know the name of and my two handmade versions of the matchman made of aluminium and brass,by me,I have no problems tying hooks down to 24's,though rarely use smaller than 22's these days,I like tying on the bank because I the to the length I want on the day,or venues requirement,tactically...
    Last edited by whitty; 24-11-2019 at 10:38.

Quote Originally Posted by markg View Post
    What's the advantage of a spade end? Is it worth the bother?
    Good question, for me a spade sits better and the knot is less visible with lighter lines so is much better for shy biting fish with baits like maggot, hemp and small pellet

I still think eyed hooks offer stronger knot options with heavy line and if say it's buried in bread or meat the size of the knot doesn't matter

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I take it you mean 16's and smaller Rich?I use 14 and smaller,I tie on the bank,I've used and use matchman,drennan,a tyer I don't know the name of and my two handmade versions of the matchman made of aluminium and brass,by me,I have no problems tying hooks down to 24's,though rarely use smaller than 22's these days,I like thing on the bank because I the to the length I want on the day,or venues requirement,tactically...
    Yes 16 down to 22’s is my norm, I’d like to have longer hook lengths than I do at the moment 8” I’m sure I’d get a better presentation. But until I can warrant/afford a new hook length storage thingy then I’ll have to put up with. I doubt I could replicate exact lengths on the bank or even a decent knot lol. My fingers are not as nimble as they used to be so I like to make my life a bit easier.

Blog Entries

I've discussed this with Philip before,but as you say Rob for smaller baits the spade end lies straight down the spade,hanging straight giving a better presentation,I don't find the knot weak,but tying a size 8 in a spade end say would be poor.

To add,I'm very meticulous with my hook tying,be it spade end or eyed,I don't leave long tags,apart from the knotless knot lol.
    Last edited by whitty; 24-11-2019 at 10:42.

I can, just about, tie spades by hand. However, I never became proficient enough at it. I always found it unnecessarily fiddly. However, I do still tie all of my own hook lengths. I also tie them as I need them on the bank. The Drennan hook tyer is my weapon of choice. I've got them scattered through all of my different tackle boxes.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast