To pole or not to pole

Reaction score
Alan, the Thames will probably be pushing a bit.
On days when the river is flowing too fast to hold bottom on a feeder rod or to float fish, the pole feeder is the best option. Many matches on the Thames recently have been won with this method.

This video shows how to set it up and how to fish with it..

YouTube

Hadnt seen this until this morning and yes the Thames was pushing through,hard,but the colour had dropped out,kiss of death over the years i fished it,chub or bust,well it was bust,all i had was a starving 5lb jack on double red maggot on the retrieve,lovely to see the place again mind,might go again later in the season,but not with my barrow and match style gear,walked miles,moved three times with rods made up,so had to walk the distances three times,i seem to forget im 65 and not 21,lol...

john step

Reaction score
My good lady the sandwich maker wanted to buy me a Christmas present. Tomorrow I am off to Bobco at Leeds to pick up a brand new pole. Happy days.

mikench

Reaction score
Spoilt Pete thats all I can say.:.:rolleyes: And she makes your butties:)

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
cage feeder on a pole. think i defanately need to try this, thanks for the post i never even knew it was a thing.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
You can use maggot feeder or method feeders as well as cage feeders Another way I do it and I mainly fish canals pools and commercials ,is instead of a feeder use a square/flat/arlsley bomb, wrap ground bait around it and tuck baited hooklength in groundbait.Lower into swim and either watch dibber float you use as indicator or wait for elastic to come out of pole, depending on species fishing for, the rig can either be fished free running or fixed depending on fishery rules.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
You can use maggot feeder or method feeders as well as cage feeders Another way I do it and I mainly fish canals pools and commercials ,is instead of a feeder use a square/flat/arlsley bomb, wrap ground bait around it and tuck baited hooklength in groundbait.Lower into swim and either watch dibber float you use as indicator or wait for elastic to come out of pole, depending on species fishing for, the rig can either be fished free running or fixed depending on fishery rules.
Gap in the market for a pole with a quiver tip end on it ? Lol

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
They are already out, called flick tips,
After a quick look on Google I think I actually own 1 of them, it's a non elasticated pole but has a stonfa type think on the end and the end is slimmer than my other poles that just have an eye to tie line too, I literally just thought is was an end to hook ready made rigs onto instead of tying them to the eye,

I've been using either the ones with the eye or my bigger elasticated pole, so this flick tip pole if it is that, I can use it with the feeder method we spoke about and just watch for movement on the end of the pole ? I could even paint the tip fluorescent?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk