All this Rain

Another Dave

Reaction score
My usual swims were, at a rough estimate, 300m wide when i looked yesterday. I do wonder where all the fish go. Drowned worms are everywhere so there are certainly opportunities.

Merry Christmas all. Imagine if this had all fallen as snow.

silvers

Reaction score
My local river - the upper Warwickshire Avon, has not been fishable on the float since the end of September at weekends. Only two matches have not been cancelled - and both of those were fished on a rising river - where you are basically looking for one or two barbel bites (not my idea of fun).

I used to go on canal matches in these scenarios - but the circuit has died in the south midlands.

This weekend I'm heading for the old course of the River Nene. Normal conditions it's like the GUC - 5x12 pole floats (ie. 0.3 g) I will be packing stick floats for sunday!

Well the old nene was running harder than the tidal Trent in normal conditions. Unfortunately I drew a narrow bit with no slack water. I needed 4g flat float to sit right in 3 feet of water against the reeds, ripping through down the middle ...not the best method for ten to the pound roach. Had about 6 pounds of roach. 8 of the 10 pegs in my section had steady water across and they all had double figures. 21pounds was best in that 10 pegs. It was nice to see Swinno and Nuddy again. bob won my 5 peg mini section, can’t keep a good old ‘un down!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Cheers for that Sylvanilo, all makes sense. I've only been fishing the seacourt the last three seasons or so, and I definitely agree that the fishing is patchy. That said, I've never known it be any better or worse (over the course of those three years, not really enough time to get a sense of the decline I guess?)

What I will say is - it's thrown up a few very pleasing surprises in that time - a small barbel, a 5lb+ chub, a trout that took a liking to cheesepaste (had it twice in the same swim on different sessions...). There's also a couple of bits that seem to fish pretty good with trotting gear, never massive fish but dace, perch and roach have all put a bend in the rod.

I guess what I love about it best is that it reminds me of some of the streams I fished on when I was a kid... where if you wanted to be successful, you needed to approach the river with an open mind. If you turned up saying to yourself - "today I will quiver tip with bread in this swim".... then chances are you might not catch at all. But if you turn up with a couple or three different baits and different ideas about how you might present them, depending on the situation you're faced with - then you might do better.

Apologies Jim, I did not notice your reply earlier - a combination of Spanish and French wines over the last 2 weeks maybe!

Indeed that little stream may not produce huge fish but still may give interesting bites, I also remember a deeper stretch with limited but very big chubbies although it doesn't exist anymore. When I moved to Oxford many years ago I liked the rural aspect of the stretch you talked about, I used to fish it using dry flies, nymphs or freelined small baits like cheddar bits and try for any species that would likely become active, adapting the line to the circumstances.

If this is the sort of fishing you much like, and provided I'm again able to hold a rod like before, happy to meet. Of note, there are other rivers of interest not too far, such as the Evenlode or the Cherwell.

steve2

Reaction score
Looks like another wet and windy week ahead. My fishing plans for the week will be once again on hold. Seating beside the reservoir in the wind and rain isn't my idea of fun.

john step

Reaction score
Looks like another wet and windy week ahead. My fishing plans for the week will be once again on hold. Seating beside the reservoir in the wind and rain isn't my idea of fun.

Agree its a downer again. It only has to spit with rain on already sodden ground and the rivers rise and the banks become skating rinks again. All my plans for this winters fishing have been thrown to the wind.
Knitting,tiddlywinks anyone?