All this Rain

dalesman

Reaction score
With all this rain, floods and wind over the last couple of weeks, what the bet come June 2020 the E.A will be announcing drought warnings :eek:mg::eek:mg:

theartist

Reaction score
Yeah been wet all Autumn yet the rivers are a trickle still, went over the Colne in Watford today - What a sorry situation, too many people not enough water

rich66

Reaction score
Might try the river tomorrow morning, we’ve had a fair amount of rain again so maybe a no go. But it’s the wrong type of rain I’m sure

bracket

Reaction score
Same here in the South. The grayling season on my local River Frome began on 1st Nov. So far, because of the flooding, I have only been able to fish three times. Results have been poor, one blank, one day with one fish and this Monday I managed 5 fish, but had to resort to the feeder to stand a chance of catching, due to the gale force winds. With more heavy rain forecast the prospects are not good. Pete.

john step

Reaction score
We have had so much rain here and the ground is so saturated it only takes a drop of rain for the rivers to start the upward graph on the river reports. The fields are still like lakes in places.

peterjg

Reaction score
For weeks the Thames above Reading has been high and fast. Strange how in the summer it is more like a canal!

In the summer the Kennet is still quite a fast flowing river but for weeks it has been hammering through.

steve2

Reaction score
Yeah been wet all Autumn yet the rivers are a trickle still, went over the Colne in Watford today - What a sorry situation, too many people not enough water

Too much water, all of it wasted by not storing it. When are the new reservoirs going to be built to service these millions?

john step

Reaction score
Wasted. I recall John Wilson saying that they built reservoirs in the wrong places. They are built to take water from the bwater table thus spoiling the rivers. If they took it from near the coast once it had been through the river system all that would happen is the water wouldn't go to sea.

In fact one glimmer of optimism is that a few years ago Severn Trent built one on the tidal at Newton on Trent just like that and take water on the out going tide.

flightliner

Reaction score
In fact one glimmer of optimism is that a few years ago Severn Trent built one on the tidal at Newton on Trent just like that and take water on the out going tide.
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

John, when the work was completed it ruined one of the best Areas of the Tidal for pike and Barbel.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
On my return to oxford I got only a few good days before a great deluge started. The usual meadows, prairies became lakes as expected, but this time the level went up to the highest recorded in the last 70 years (for the 3rd time).

Interestingly, while fishing a local stream right after the water levels were going down, I met a local resident who said the fish populations decrease were due to cormoran and otters. Well...., perhaps those beings have something to do with this, but I say.... since 2012 the different small streams have gone through several years of heavy flooding followed by months of heavy temperatures. River washed up, river deprived of oxygen... anything relating to the Seacourt stream, Botley stream etc being now entirely empty??

john step

Reaction score
Quick reply to this message Reply Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Multi-Quote This Message

John, when the work was completed it ruined one of the best Areas of the Tidal for pike and Barbel.

Oh I didnt know that. See you Monday.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
It has been tipping it down all day here today. The prevailing wind here seems to direct the rain straight onto my satellite dish making a sound like being under the brolly in the rain when fishing

The forecast is for more rain up until almost midnight tonight and the river across the road is already pretty full . . . .

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What an absolutely horrible day. It was raining when I got up at 7am and it hasnt stopped all day....nor will it here until about 4am tomorrow according to the MO Weather Fairy. Ive been out twice and its bloody freezin too....fortunately they've moved the Polling Station to just across the road from us so I didn't get too wet casting my tactical vote.

mikench

Reaction score
I have just taken out the black bin and it's raining hard just as it was at 7.00am and at all times in between .I absolutely hate weather like this and dread to think what my favoured fisheries will be like- underwater! I would rather have frost and snow but little chance of that.

rich66

Reaction score
Same here, & I gave up on the idea of fishing’s at all today. One of the brooks nearby looks like it will burst its banks again if we have much more.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Time to get adventurous and fish a canal..
Rarely flooded and full of fish!

Ooh yes!
But less adventurous around here, as the towpath is always is good enough condition
Actually, the first time I tried the canal was when I had planned for the Thames a few weeks ago, only to find that I would need a diving wetsuit :)

flightliner

Reaction score
My Trentside spy has informed me the rivers come up again and will be difficult to fish .
I haven't been this week but hope to go tomorrow so my plans being scuppered my new plannow is to fish a tiny beck that's normally little more than a foot deep but will now be maybe four or five which at times like this can hold a few Dace.
The swim is a little unusual as I will be running a float underneath the A1.