Learning some video skills; roach fishing on the Stour

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've been attempting to put together some videos on Youtube with varying success. I should have a cameraman soon and my editing skills are coming on. Here's a recent session:

YouTube

Reaction score
Lovely video Mark,im surprised you dont have a bad back the amount of bending you do rebaiting,lol...

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Lovely video Mark,im surprised you dont have a bad back the amount of bending you do rebaiting,lol...

I get far less backache standing up trotting than I ever do sat on a box, lovely active fishing. Yesterday's rain put the river on the rise again so some sitting down later on a stillwater.

rich66

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video, I’ve limited experience on rivers so it was really interesting and surprising the weight of the float 10BB? is that because of the depth ? Most of the rivers I’ve fished are 5 -8 feet deep.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I enjoyed the video, I’ve limited experience on rivers so it was really interesting and surprising the weight of the float 10BB? is that because of the depth ? Most of the rivers I’ve fished are 5 -8 feet deep.

For the flow and presentation I want that size of float is just about right. It's over 10ft deep there, deeper still out in the middle. I want to float to go down in a straight line. A mate fishing there this week wjhen I returned was using a centre-pin and it was noticeable that his float constanytly came into the bank, albeit slowly, one of the reasons the two great Stour anglers, Owen wentworth and Terry Lampard, both opted for fisxed spool reels for their roach fishing.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Great video Mark , could I ask why you don't use a longer rod?

The rods I prefer are 13ft and are ideal for the fishing I do. I own a couple of 14ft rods but they're not in the same league as some of the 13ft ones. I have fished that swim with an 18ft rod right out in the middle - 30 yards out, brilliant for control but hard work.

theartist

Reaction score
Nice one Mark, there was a lot to like about that video, nice to see the fish go straight back and your point about barbless is spot on, you simply just do not lose fish on barbless hooks with balanced gear :thumbs:

Can imagine shots of the float edging through the swim when you get extra camera work will go down a treat

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Mark you mention your main line as Dave Harrell’s, what’s your preferred hooklength material and bs?

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark you mention your main line as Dave Harrell’s, what’s your preferred hooklength material and bs?

For the 16s and 14s for bread for roach usually Preston Power line in 0.10mm which is probably 0.11 but still fine. In summer I use 0.08 for tares on a 16 fine wire barbless.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I deleted my post.

Last edited by a moderator:

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Deleted my post

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m trying to see where Mark is “slagging “ the pin.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Delted again.

Last edited:

Reaction score
I can see the minor snipe at the pin Ian and it has been there to see on other occasions and i also agree fishing the pin is a skill that has to be learnt and earned but fishing in a similar fashion on a fixed spool in a similar way is also a difficult skill to master,as for floats its what the individual can make to work,nothing else matters,i know you like bolo floats,ive never,ever used/bought one,ive no doubt they would work just as well,mainly because of the shot capacities and body/tip configuration. One other thing,there are swims that are far more suited to the pin than the fixed spool/closed face or vice versa,it matters not to me,because i enjoy trotting with a pin i would battle it out regardless,enjoy your fishing however or whatever you use guys,its only a game,not farging war....lol.

Just to add,i havent been able to trot a float this year on my favourite venues,flow rates have been so variable its rarely been fishable,an odd year...

Last edited: