Recommendations for a 13ft stick float rod for roach fishing.

dicky123

Reaction score
Mark. Watched the recent video with you fishing bread punch, very interesting. I'm a little surprised you don't like any of the Acolytes, but each to their own I guess. I do have a really nice Daiwa whisker match 12' but it's too light for the Trent, but makes an ideal Dace Roach rod on small rivers when length is not an issue, the flat cork handle I like.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Mark. Watched the recent video with you fishing bread punch, very interesting. I'm a little surprised you don't like any of the Acolytes, but each to their own I guess. I do have a really nice Daiwa whisker match 12' but it's too light for the Trent, but makes an ideal Dace Roach rod on small rivers when length is not an issue, the flat cork handle I like.

I've waggled and fished with a few Drennan float rods and they just don't feel right to me. When the Acolytes came out Andy Browne of Avon Angling tried hard to sell me one but it lacked 'crispness', that essential quality for a good float rod. Andy knew that as I owned some top class rods (all better than an Acolyte) I hardly needed another one though I was eventually tempted by the superb Allerton rod which my wife treated me to three years ago. If I could I'd replace the handle with something to my spec. ie Armlock and a modified screw down reel seat. I'd love to try a Sphere but would also prefer a handle to how I want it. I think Drennan could make progress on their handles - Armlock is out of patent - and shaped handles better than 17/18mm diameter seats, or why not in this day and age offer options to order?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm going to blame him, too... I'm desperately resisting buying a 13' 6" Sphere. I don't need it, I DO NOT NEED IT!!!!

Do you think the Browning would offer you something the Allerton lacks Mark?

mikench

Reaction score
Perhaps Sam Vimes will be along with a view of a Browning limited edition rod called a hot rod special or something like that which I believe is designed for smaller fish and maybe light in action. I'm not sure it's still available but worth looking for. I'm sure he has one.

trotter2

Reaction score
I tend to get cramp in the thumb when holding the rod for long periods of time say 4 hrs in a match.
It's worse with rods that are tip heavy .my acolyte 17ft tends to do this problem is I like using the rod as it's brilliant for long trotting.
One thing I have noticed is (that's for me )
The more balanced the rod is the problem disappears. If the rod is more balanced you can relax the grip and just hold it across the fingers with no thumb pressure. Almost a open palm grip I find that helps.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
I use a Mitchell Match on it.
Oh dear! He won't change...:confused: The most cack-handed reels ever made; French of course and I have a 300 just to remind me of how bad they were and what we had to put up with in the 50s/60s and for some, even 70s. ;)

But he's right about the Abu Suveran reel seats and I have a Suveran and a small American Abu spinning rod with the same reel seat. The best by far ever put on a rod in my view. Just why some manufacturers put on reel seats where your hand sits on a bunch a screw threads is beyond me. Rs-about way of doing things, I reckon.
suveran.jpg

sam vimes

Reaction score
Perhaps Sam Vimes will be along with a view of a Browning limited edition rod called a hot rod special or something like that which I believe is designed for smaller fish and maybe light in action. I'm not sure it's still available but worth looking for. I'm sure he has one.

I do have one, and it's a fantastic rod. I love using it for short range waggler work with hooklinks of no more than 2lb. However, it'll never be a trotting rod as long as I have a hole in my bum. Yes, it has a spliced tip, but it's a longer splice than you tend to see on river rods. It's a canal/drain light waggler rod, far too through actioned to be any use trotting. It also happens to be 11' 6". However, the biggest issue with it is that has been discontinued and no one seems to have had them in stock for quite some time.

dicky123

Reaction score
Ok then all of you, what is the ideal/best float trotting rod you can still buy today. Oh and why for you is it so good?

Mine is the 14' Acolyte plus. It does all i need, but also will land big fish on light tippets. One guy on You-Tube landed a 10lb carp on 1.7lb Bayer a good recommendation for the rod and line. I've had barbel and big chub on mine, and can still hook roach at distance trotting. Fish light as 1.7lb hook link, I love the thing.

Reaction score
****y,its impossible to answer your question without entering into an argument,its all down to personal choice/preference,one angler will like a certain action,the next wont,i dont like float rods longer than 13ft but if i was roach fishing where Mark fished i would feel obligated to,everything would be so much easier,casting a double rubber float 10ft deep,plus control is so much easier with say a 15ft plus rod,awful for big fish imo,thats not to say you cant land them on it,just not as efficient,opinions,we shouldn't be allowed to have them eh???

sam vimes

Reaction score
Ok then all of you, what is the ideal/best float trotting rod you can still buy today. Oh and why for you is it so good?

Browning Sphere Spliced Tip River (in either length). I love the handle/reel seat, despite my initial misgivings and longstanding liking for cork. They are as light as anything else out there and the action/power fits my preferences perfectly. They have proven perfectly adept with everything from tiddlers to double figure barbel.

If they made a 16/17' waggler and a 10/11' Spliced tip river (beck rod), I doubt I'd use any other rods for float fishing.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'd agree with both ****y and Chris. I think the handle would put a lot of people off the sphere, not to mention the price!

dicky123

Reaction score
Whitty.

If we cannot have opinions and NOT fall out then were not very civilised are we? Havens sake we are all adults after all? I'd just like to hear what people like, and why, it may make me buy or at least think about other rods? We have a wealth of experience about the forum, lets have a debate, and not argue?

trotter2

Reaction score
Had a look at the sphere and it's definitely a quality piece of kit.
Couple of points puts me off, one is the 15ft model is noticeably more tip heavy than the acolyte and the handle I am not sure about, like something off a spinning rod but just my opinion. So don't take it to heart plz. And perhaps the cost involved in purchasing something your not totally sure off. So for me I am sticking with the acolyte range of rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Couple of points puts me off, one is the 15ft model is noticeably more tip heavy than the acolyte and the handle I am not sure about, like something off a spinning rod but just my opinion.

There's no argument from me, both points put me off initially. However, there are still a few points worth noting. The longer Sphere is 15' 6" not the 15' of the Acolyte, unless it's counterweighted, it's bound to feel more tip heavy when compared directly. Let's face it, a 14' Acolyte feels slightly more tip heavy than a 13'er and the minor differences are more noticeable in the longer models. Put a well chosen reel on the Sphere and you'll barely notice. Similar thing with the reel seat. It looks a bit weird and feels a bit weird on first impressions. It may still look and feel odd with a reel fitted. However, depending on exactly how you hold a rod/reel, the doubts might vanish like morning mist on a summer day.

My conclusions are drawn after buying and using both Acolytes and Spheres (in multiple lengths) as well as plenty of other alternatives. Personal preference will undoubtedly sway someone, one way or another, but there is absolutely no substitute for actually using something yourself.

trotter2

Reaction score
Yes agree Chris you have fished with one whilst I have only see and had a waggle in the shop. If they were not so expensive I would have had a shot with one. But you never know don't right if off just yet. I know one of the locals has one, next time I am pegged next to him could perhaps have a go with one.

trotter2

Reaction score
Chris what's it like for keeping those grayling on the line,not like the John allerton I hope.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Chris what's it like for keeping those grayling on the line,not like the John allerton I hope.

No nothing like the Allerton. If they were no use with the grayling, they simply wouldn't be a favourite of mine. As it's the best part of my river fishing, a rod that's poor with grayling is of little use to me. I rarely use anything but the Spheres when fishing rivers. If I do, it's just to remind myself and reinforce my thoughts on a particular rod. I'm now at the point where I have a separate stack of redundant rods. I will occasionally give one an outing, but those instances are steadily dwindling.

trotter2

Reaction score
No nothing like the Allerton. If they were no use with the grayling, they simply wouldn't be a favourite of mine. As it's the best part of my river fishing, a rod that's poor with grayling is of little use to me. I rarely use anything but the Spheres when fishing rivers. If I do, it's just to remind myself and reinforce my thoughts on a particular rod. I'm now at the point where I have a separate stack of redundant rods. I will occasionally give one an outing, but those instances are steadily dwindling.
As you know I am on a similar boat to you Chris. A rod which is no good with grayling is little good round here. Just out of interest are you using the 15.6 model more?