Recommendations for a 13ft stick float rod for roach fishing.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’m blaming Mark Wintle for my next rod purchase!

Having arthritis in my hands I find holding a rod a length of time uncomfortable due to the reel seat. I’ve noticed that Mark uses parts of an inner tube to act as a cushion over the seat, something that goes back a way looking on google and it seems a very popular trick with a few anglers.

Having already an 11ft And 14ft Matchpro, a 13ft would complete my needs.....for now.:eek:mg:

I rather fancy an older rod without a reel seat, I don’t want to spend a kings ransom on a “collectors” rod, must be a nice light rod that is sensitive enough to handle small roach and dace. I’m currently looking at an original Original Drennan IM6 13ft Stick Float Rod, is this a good choice, any other suggestions?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Have you actually worked out what it is that irritates your arthritis? Is it weight and/repetition, or is it down to a handle being too thick, or too thin?

I have temperature related arthritis in my right wrist, due to a greenstick fracture as a young adult. So far, weight and repetition are relatively minor factors in ny pain I get. Quite a few years back, I found that a really narrow handle caused me a lot of bother. Low temperatures are the other significant factor, but that's something I have no control over.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A good question Chris, not something I’ve analysed if truth be known. My arthritis is mild (at the moment) and comes and goes and as you’ve experienced, it’s worse in colder conditions. My discomfort and niggling pain is more in my finger joints, something like hook tying can be a right p in the a. Having said all that I’m currently trying CBD oil and am experiencing a marked improvement, I also suffer in my neck and shoulders.

I could manage with a regular setup but the idea of a more user friendly grip appeals.

You know your rods as much as most, what’s your thoughts?

sam vimes

Reaction score
A good question Chris, not something I’ve analysed if truth be known. My arthritis is mild (at the moment) and comes and goes and as you’ve experienced, it’s worse in colder conditions. My discomfort and niggling pain is more in my finger joints, something like hook tying can be a right p in the a. Having said all that I’m currently trying CBD oil and am experiencing a marked improvement, I also suffer in my neck and shoulders.

I could manage with a regular setup but the idea of a more user friendly grip appeals.

You know your rods as much as most, what’s your thoughts?

If your problems go beyond your hand/wrist, I'd suggest that the grip of a rod isn't actually the biggest concern. Pain in your fingers may hint at a larger diameter grip being better. Most of the other issues are more likely to revolve around weight and repetition.

As far as individual rod recommendations go, beyond suggesting you find rod and reel combinations that are as light as possible, there's not much to say. What I like and find comfortable doesn't necessarily match up with the next bloke. I tend to use centrepins and hold rods in certain ways. Those that don't use pins and hold a rod in a different way, probably won't like the rods/handles that I do.

My current favourite rods for comfort are the Browning Spheres (lightweight and reel seat/handle shape). Next would be the Maver Signature Pro Classic (weight is low without being exceptionally low. The reel seat/handle is very comfortable). Next would come the Acolytes (there's nothing special about the reel seat or handle, but they are stupidly light).

Bear in mind that others complain about the handle and reel seat on the Browning Spheres. In a similar vein, I can't stand the reel seat/handle on the Tri-Cast John Allerton Premier Match rods, others think it's fine.

Sadly, there's no quick fix. You've really got to try and work out what causes your discomfort and whatever preferences you may have for how you hold a rod.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I’m blaming Mark Wintle for my next rod purchase!

I'm going to blame him, too... I'm desperately resisting buying a 13' 6" Sphere. I don't need it, I DO NOT NEED IT!!!!

The Daiwa Amorphous Whisker or Match 13' stick float rods are lovely for stick float fishing, I've got whichever was the cheaper of the two, Armlock handle as well. There are other good old Daiwa stick float rods though they'll feel heavy compared to some more modern rods. I really enjoy my Allerton Premier Match stick float rod now I've got the handle just right but then I use a Mitchell Match on it.

I've never rated (probably unfairly) any of the Drennan match rods, not even the stick float rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
What is an armlock handle?

Daiwa's higher end rods tend to have a flattened area of cork/duplon behind the reel seat. They called this feature "Armlock". Until recently, other manufacturers didn't do anything similar. Fairly recently, Preston Innovations seem to have copied the feature on their Supera rods. The Browning Spheres have something similar but a little more radical.

Notts Michael.

Reaction score
Just a thought, a better thing than cycle inner tube to provide cushioning and a much less cold feel in winter around the reel seat area of a rod, is cycle handlebar tape, the foam stuff, I put some around a metal camera monopod that I found sucks the warmth from/transfers the cold to hands in cold weather, it works well, so should be good for a reel seat region, cheap too and loads of colours

Handlebar Grips Tape Bicycle Road Bike Sports Cork Wrap Ribbon & Bar Plug Pads | eBay

this type of stuff.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Daiwa's higher end rods tend to have a flattened area of cork/duplon behind the reel seat. They called this feature "Armlock". Until recently, other manufacturers didn't do anything similar. Fairly recently, Preston Innovations seem to have copied the feature on their Supera rods. The Browning Spheres have something similar but a little more radical.

I think Daiwa patented the Armlock and the 20 year patent has now run out so other manufacturers are doing the same; I like this type of handle and three of my Normarks have my version.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Just a thought, a better thing than cycle inner tube to provide cushioning and a much less cold feel in winter around the reel seat area of a rod, is cycle handlebar tape, the foam stuff, I put some around a metal camera monopod that I found sucks the warmth from/transfers the cold to hands in cold weather, it works well, so should be good for a reel seat region, cheap too and loads of colours

Handlebar Grips Tape Bicycle Road Bike Sports Cork Wrap Ribbon & Bar Plug Pads | eBay

this type of stuff.

The inner tube is moved on and off to fix the clip on plastic so no sure if the tape would work. I am going to see if I can design a reverse hood in cork for this rod. The forecast is wet on Tuesday so I'll have something to do!

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Money no object I’d design a rod handle and reel where the reel has no foot, just a stem that screws directly into the handle, the stem could be detachable from the reel body allowing you to change reels.

What is the purpose of the armlock?

sam vimes

Reaction score
What is the purpose of the armlock?

Prevents the handle from rolling/twisting under the forearm and comfort. Some will argue that it offers little. Some, like Flightliner, positively dislike the feature.

I quite like a flattened handle, to the extent that I've incorporated it into a recent self build. However, I can manage just fine with a standard round handle.

mikench

Reaction score
John i have 2 amorphous whisker rods with the armalok handle and reel bands and fid them very comfortable. I also have a Browning, various Drennans.a Mach 111 and a John Allerton all in 13´. It’s only Tricast which I find uncomfortable after a while with either a pin or a FS reel. I think it’s the only one with a screw down reel seat if I recall correctly so that may explain it.

You are welcome to try any of them if you wish. I would r3commend The amorphous whiskers which can be bought for around £75 on ebay. The model n7mbers to look for are .

AWM 13L light action
AWM 13s stick ( i have one)
AWM 13W waggler special ( I have one)
AWTM considered the best

There are loads more similar rods of that ilk which 8m sure you would like.

Here’s one daiwa amorphous whisker harrier match 13 ft stick float rod | eBay

Last edited:

hague01

Reaction score
I do like reading your missives Sam, they invariably mad me think.I have and have had many top end rods of late.I couldn't get on with the sphere at all due to the handle and disliked the T/C JA but for an entirely different reason.This just show how different our tastes are but I had never considered aches and pains which we all, with luck or otherwise do or don't suffer with.I dislike thin handles as they don't seem meaty enough to grip. I only needed one lesson of seeing a favoured rod going for a swim, to teach me that I liked a flared butt using a grip type butt rest.When I had two rods made last year I had hoped to get a cork handle like I have on my browning CC 10' bomb of circa 2008 vintage.That swells well below the reel seat.My collection of MK 1 JWT's with wooden reel seats do too but not as pronounced. Is this a fashion thing ? I ended up with a standard cork, flared butt and a fuji soft feel seat on one.That feels nice but not as impressive as the cushion reel seat which the suveran had.That really was imho brilliant although I never fished with one.The point being that none of the above addresses the problems of arthritis, which obviously is a real issue and problem for many. My ideal would be a "*******" handle ie flared at both ends, a suveran cushion and a fuji seat.Wont get that now but its a nice dream. Keep it up!

hague01

Reaction score
meant, made me think! Ha, it wont let me say B"""""d"

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I've shown this before - a cork modified Fuji fitting that is very comfortable to use and my version of the Suveran.
IMG_3808.jpg

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
John i have 2 amorphous whisker rods with the armalok handle and reel bands and fid them very comfortable. I also have a Browning, various Drennans.a Mach 111 and a John Allerton all in 13´. It’s only Tricast which I find uncomfortable after a while with either a pin or a FS reel. I think it’s the only one with a screw down reel seat if I recall correctly so that may explain it.

You are welcome to try any of them if you wish. I would r3commend The amorphous whiskers which can be bought for around £75 on ebay. The model n7mbers to look for are .

AWM 13L light action
AWM 13s stick ( i have one)
AWM 13W waggler special ( I have one)
AWTM considered the best

There are loads more similar rods of that ilk which 8m sure you would like.

Here’s one daiwa amorphous whisker harrier match 13 ft stick float rod | eBay

Thanks Mike I’d appreciate a waggle, can you pop down tomorrow?:)

I’m monitoring that Ebay item.

Thanks for the codes, very useful.:thumbs:

mikench

Reaction score
My pleasure John. That auction is due to end today so you might nab a bargain and the seller is open to offers.

There is a Drennan IM 9 but in 14' also on the bay.

I think you would like the Daiwa and enjoy its qualities and the nostalgia which goes with it. It's nice to have different rods from different manufacturers and eras. I also have a Team Normark 2000 Titan in 13' which is a lovely rod.

Would around 11.30 suit?:rolleyes:

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
The Diawa amorphous Tommy Pickering rods were/are excellent although a little on the heavy side but I still use mine whenever possible.
You can occasionally pick one up on flea-bay for reasonable money . . . .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I’ve just stuck a bid on the Daiwa to block any offers coming in. There’s also a Drennan IM6 13ft Stick Float Rod finishing today that fits the bill, judging by the number of watchers they will both command a lot of bids I reckon.

See you at 11-30, I’ll treat you to a curry lunch after in town.:w