Sending a rod by courier.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just been offered a Drennan IM9 Super Crystalight, the guy is in Leeds and happy to post but can’t find a reasonable shipping price, I’ve found the same having just advertised a rod on EBay and I couldn’t find a quote under £35, I see lots of rods for sale on the bay with shipping costs around £15, where do these people find these prices?

mikench

Reaction score
Try Parcelforce John or think laterally and have a drive up with the wife and visit Harrogate overnight or longer. You get a nice break and collect a new rod; perfick.

ian g

Reaction score
I had a similar problem last time I sold some rods , luckily my son knew someone who sold rotary washing lines and they used there courier for me . I'll ask which courier it was .

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Try Parcelforce John or think laterally and have a drive up with the wife and visit Harrogate overnight or longer. You get a nice break and collect a new rod; perfick.

That would be absolutely perfect Mike, my better half loves Harrogate and I’m partial to a Betty's afternoon tea but her caring duties don’t allow for a 24 hour break any more. Otherwise it would be the one time she’d advise me to buy another rod!

sam vimes

Reaction score
Just been offered a Drennan IM9 Super Crystalight

Inconsequential point of pedantry, are you sure it's not an IM8?

the guy is in Leeds and happy to post but can’t find a reasonable shipping price, I’ve found the same having just advertised a rod on EBay and I couldn’t find a quote under £35, I see lots of rods for sale on the bay with shipping costs around £15, where do these people find these prices?

Due to the configuration of the rod, it's a lot longer than a proper three piece rod. This extra length incurrs the same kind of shipping cost penalties that two piece 11, 12 and 13' rods attract for a normal courier customer. If someone is getting a courier at so much less than you can find, it's generally because a) they have an account. b) They aren't passing on the full cost/have no idea what the full cost actually is. c) they are sending it through a business/mate that has a courier account. d) they are using a really cheap courier that's very unlikely to offer proper insurance.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
You’re right Chris, it’s an iM8, most probably inconsequencial unless I can find a decent price to have it shipped.

sam vimes

Reaction score
By the time an IM8 Super Crystalight is put in a (cut to size) tube, it's going to be at least 170cm long.
I'd reckon on it being around £20 to send via Parcelforce on a 48hr service.

dicky123

Reaction score
"UPS TODAY." Try UPS Today, I use them and find they take long rods and are on time. Not UPS, but UPS TODAY.

chrissh

Reaction score
Would this help?

Leeds is around an hour’s drive from me

Im watching a rod that for sale in Whitstable, which is collection only

If I win the rod and if you agree I can collect your rod and you could collect my one and we could meet at the services on the Essex side of the Dartford tunnel

I am traveling down to my daughter in West Horndon Essex on the 30th

mikench

Reaction score
That sounds potentially perfect.:) I hope it works out for you both. Not bad this FM and it's members imo.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
That sounds potentially perfect.:) I hope it works out for you both. Not bad this FM and it's members imo.

Perfect? It me selling the rod! :)

Judging by recent posts I reckon there’s gold in some of those lofts and man caves, the thought of expensive posting puts folk off

if we set up a chain from the south to the north aka Chris’s offer a lot of unused kit could find new homes with a nice cash turnaround.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Would this help?

Leeds is around an hour’s drive from me

Im watching a rod that for sale in Whitstable, which is collection only

If I win the rod and if you agree I can collect your rod and you could collect my one and we could meet at the services on the Essex side of the Dartford tunnel

I am traveling down to my daughter in West Horndon Essex on the 30th

Pm sent Chris