The greatest worry for mankind

peterjg

Reaction score
The EA and DEFRA (govt departments) have experts which must know about issues regarding pesticides and nitrates and surely they report to their masters their concerns! Why is nothing being done - they cannot blame EU legislation for much longer!?

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
The EA and DEFRA (govt departments) have experts which must know about issues regarding pesticides and nitrates and surely they report to their masters their concerns! Why is nothing being done - they cannot blame EU legislation for much longer!?
Maybe the money we dont send to the EU can be spent on tackling our environmental issues?

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Virus will become the biggest killer with population growth the closer people live together the quicker virus spreads. Due to fake news jab uptake for some virus is lower already.

I have often thought this lately, I see all the signs of natural population control kicking in now, not just new viruses propping up more often, failure of medicine,
anti-biotic resistance, lower fertility, lower sperm counts, suicide rates increasing, more and more small wars, pollution levels on the rise. this will all affect our population rise; whether it will be enough I don't know but; nature is a fairly potent force, I don't think it will allow us to go to the levels that are predicted.

Last edited:

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
I often wonder how much of the earths not inhabited land mass could be used,

Could spreading out be a solution?

We seem to have this habit of all grouping together.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Maybe the money we dont send to the EU can be spent on tackling our environmental issues?

"The money we don't send to EU" this is a negative amount that's the issue. Pre Brexit the UK balance "From EU" - "To EU" is > 0 (source: Brexit balance sheet, CIPFA 2017) in Environment / Food standards / Welfare. Post Brexit who knows since the EU legislation is adopted by UK by default but someone needs to fund it? Unless taxpayers pay for it of course.

POLEMINATOR

Reaction score
Yes,but you have to learn how to catch them first :D
I can just net them nobody is watching lol,

Nah I'm in the company of all you master anglers, I sure I will have to start taking 3 keepnets out with me soon :)

Cliff Hatton

Reaction score
Dare I say it? The Meek Shall Inherit the Earth (and they don't come much meeker than cockroaches...)

john step

Reaction score
In am turning half my lawn over to a wild flower/pollinator patch this year. Every little helps and less mowing is win win.

hague01

Reaction score
I read the first posts on diminishing insects and birds last week and agree with it all, as they are facts.I have hesitated to reply for the simple reason that I cant provide an answer so thought it best to keep quiet, but, there is a case for saying "I don't know the answer as to how to cure this but I do know we need to find one!".Wherever I look, things are changing IE pollution/weather/animal habitats etc. Is this due to pollution? I suspect so, but there is only probability, not certainty.I read that China is opening so many new coal fired power stations that they are effectively increasing their pollution annually on these new stations alone at a rate equal to our entire annual output? Can that be right? If it is, who will tell the Chinese peasant to live in the dark and starve? I don't say this other than seriously, that we need to find a way of establishing the facts and once achieved putting a recovery plan/or otherwise, in place! I apologize that this is a weighty post on what is an informative and entertaining web site but we have to grasp the nettle sometime/somewhere/somehow and the sooner the better. Alec

peterjg

Reaction score
I read the first posts on diminishing insects and birds last week and agree with it all, as they are facts.I have hesitated to reply for the simple reason that I cant provide an answer so thought it best to keep quiet, but, there is a case for saying "I don't know the answer as to how to cure this but I do know we need to find one!".Wherever I look, things are changing IE pollution/weather/animal habitats etc. Is this due to pollution? I suspect so, but there is only probability, not certainty.I read that China is opening so many new coal fired power stations that they are effectively increasing their pollution annually on these new stations alone at a rate equal to our entire annual output? Can that be right? If it is, who will tell the Chinese peasant to live in the dark and starve? I don't say this other than seriously, that we need to find a way of establishing the facts and once achieved putting a recovery plan/or otherwise, in place! I apologize that this is a weighty post on what is an informative and entertaining web site but we have to grasp the nettle sometime/somewhere/somehow and the sooner the better. Alec

Very well said!!!

no-one in particular

Reaction score
In am turning half my lawn over to a wild flower/pollinator patch this year. Every little helps and less mowing is win win.

I am not a gardener John except for looking after the elderly couples one next door for a few years. So, it was only roughly kept clear, I planted a few fruit trees and fruit bushes early on and just mowed once a month between them and left the edges a bit rough.
The pleasure was watching what just appeared, Blue, pink and white bluebells, snowdrops, primroses, the odd daffodil, some odd tulips. there was an old wall that needed re-pointing but never got done and some of those solitary bees used it. A lot of slow worms moved in under old stones or plank of wood etc. I sank an old plastic crate which filled with water and sometimes found a frog in it. An old nest box I put up regularly got used by great bits. A pair of lizards sunned themselves on an old stone.
I did have a problem with nettles and blackberry thorns though so, you have to keep on top of them a bit.
However, it was all good and a lot more interesting than a well manicured professionally planted garden in my opinion. I could sit for an hour on my little bench with a cup of tea and enjoy all of it.

Last edited:

Richox12

Reaction score
The greatest threat to man - and all other life - is man. The planet will survive but not as we know it.

steve2

Reaction score
I see that according to the news Mr Trump is at it again helping American industry by removing the water protection bill and allowing pollution of waterways to help industry.
What a great environmentalist this man is.

rich66

Reaction score
I see that according to the news Mr Trump is at it again helping American industry by removing the water protection bill and allowing pollution of waterways to help industry.

I just hope they don’t do that here.

John Keane

Reaction score

One of the first things he did in his presidency was to declare he was going to tamper with the clean water regulations. His measures can be reversed by whoever takes over from the fat, orange lunatic but the Yanks are stupid enough to vote him in again.