Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The greatest worry for mankind

Is it not possible that the lack of bugs on windscreens is in part due to improved aerodynamics of cars? It's not as if all the bugs have disappeared is it.

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    Is it not possible that the lack of bugs on windscreens is in part due to improved aerodynamics of cars? It's not as if all the bugs have disappeared is it.
    I actually considered asking that myself, it crossed my mind but I know nothing about aerodynamics which is strange because I'm an f1 fan lol

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

It’s not that at all, there are still vertical parts of the design in most cars, (bumper parts etc.) and if there were bugs they’d find them like a magnet.

It’s simple, there is less vegetation as every year passes by and what vegetation there is becomes increasingly subject to stuff that’s poisonous to critters.
    Last edited by s63; 17-01-2020 at 17:15.

Are GM crops still a thing ? I remember reading some of them were genetically made resistant to pests, poisonous to them I think

Quote Originally Posted by wetthrough View Post
    I actually thought it was just my car I bought a new car (to me) a couple of years back that’s when I really started to see the difference, but as a Mini is not that aerodynamic I was wondering if it shoved them out of the way lol

Quote Originally Posted by rich66 View Post
    I actually thought it was just my car I bought a new car (to me) a couple of years back that’s when I really started to see the difference, but as a Mini is not that aerodynamic I was wondering if it shoved them out of the way lol
    If it's a mini probably not going fast enough to squash them lol

Quote Originally Posted by POLEMINATOR View Post
    If it's a mini probably not going fast enough to squash them lol

Lol It’s a new mini a bit quicker than my dads old 850cc one we had in the 70’s

Blog Entries

Fly life in rivers is a worry. There does appear to be less than we used to see whether it's damselflies, or mayfly. I attended a Citizen's Science Forum at London Zoo last November, as I always try to (it was known as the Eel Forum before), and one lady spoke about fly life and what could be killing them.

She pointed to one fact being that we now use anti-bacterial soaps in the bathroom and that the chemicals are escaping through the sewage treatment works and killing fly life in the rivers. It made me think, but then we have a small river that is 95% treated sewage and it has quite a good bit of fly life in it. True, we would like to see someone start to monitor the fly life by performing kick samples throughout the year.

Just as an example though, we (the association who controls fishing on it) installed some spawning boards with nets hanging off and this summer, well after the spawning season, I lifted a couple of boards and they were crawling with gammarus (water shrimps). However, I am now told that gammarus do well in water slightly contaminated by sewage and that I can understand except that I am told this water is almost of drinking water quality!

It's all so confusing. And then there's endocrine disruptors and microplastics and nanoplastics. We really are killing ourselves in time.
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Problem is that most people do not care about insects and would be happy to see less of them. Just look at the amount of insect sprays available for most types of insect.
    Also I don't think many really care if lions, tigers etc become extinct and does it really matter? Whatever we do animals will become extinct with population growth and the need for more and more land for growing crops. The remaining large animals will be seen in zoos for controlled breeding but will never be seen in the wild. You can't return animals to land that no longer exists.

Generally our society and lifestyle have changed dramatically. So many of us live in our overheated homes, walk to our air-conditioned cars, step into air-conditioned malls or offices etc.
    I am always amazed at how ignorant and disinterested so many people are regarding nature and our countryside issues.
    Yes, we use too many chemicals which must leach into our waterways. Despite some campaigns insecticides are being used which are harmful in ways still not recognised. For instance the bee numbers are down by 60% (so important for plant pollination!) but neoncicides (spelling?) affect the bee's brains and they are then unable to find their nest when trying to return and die.
    There are medicines, chemicals, products, farming methods which are known to adversely effect our ecology but still continue to be used and carried out.
    All this rain that we have had, how much has been saved and stored? Sorry, stupid question!!!
    Are the water companies (apparently mostly foreign owned) doing all they can to produce truly clean water or are they working to minimum acceptable standards?
    In a few days time we are leaving the EU. I really hope that we will be able to bring in legislation to combat pollution, stop dangerous chemicals, promote cleaner water, etc, etc.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast