Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Default Re: The greatest worry for mankind

Back in the summer of 2018 I did a couple of kick samples on the shallows on the Dorset Stour. I'd done similar about 15 years ago . I was amazed how little insect life there was in the weed beds compared to the previous time; no caddis, no jokers. As a kid one of my mainstay baits was caddis grubs in the Piddle but hard to find any today; that river was one of the purest in England back then (circa 1970).

Lack of insects?
    One word, imo....Neonicotinoids.

Check out Riverfly, Jeff, They offer training courses all over the country and it is very straight forward and only requires a few hours a year from the participants.

I do hope our standards don't decline after we leave the EU but suspect they will. Mind you the overuse of insecticides, antibiotics and chemicals generally are a world wide problem. Space and other planets may offer hope long term if if only to have a vast universe to pollute.

Some of me thinks nature will survive, its built to survive,

I'm on a council estate, I've got a tiny garden pond with not much plants in it at all,

Yet every year we get female emperor dragon fly laying eggs in our pond,

Now there supposed to like big heavily planted waters ?

When habitats change creates can adapt to the habitat

Nature has a habit of finding it's way

Sent from my SM-J330FN using Tapatalk
    THE NEXT BITE IS GOING TO BE THE MONSTER.

6. Default Re: The greatest worry for mankind

Environmental issues are not simple to address nor universally agreed upon - especially not in the U.S. Too many times money talks, environment walks and what is necessary for the protection of animal life and habitat is more about who makes the most money or gets re-elected (the clown occupying the White House included).

Los Angeles, California air pollution to this day almost requires a gas mask or closed vent and car windows in order to avoid breathing the smoke cloud that is present daily driving on it's most trafficked highway. You can't tell me no one knows who or what causes it and what laws are being violated. Again, $$$ talks, violatores walk.

I see a layer of white smoke from wood burning stoves covering the area when there is no wind in winter. There is a law that states how much opacity the smoke coming out of a chimney should not reach in order to be legal. No enforcement means no air quality protection. Where are the officers that are supposed to pass out the fines as they would on large construction sites that are news items?

West Point Military Academy toxic chemical dumps years ago have been found to make drinking water unsafe to drink in two large city reservoirs miles downstream. The ponds near those dumps are dead. Who was held accountable in management who worked for the federal government at a time when the laws were in effect? I'm talking about our FEDERAL GOVERNMENT for chrise sake !

18 of the top most polluted cities in the world are in India.
    Climate change is making the effects of air pollution worse by changing atmospheric conditions and amplifying forest fires, the report said, while noting that the key driver of global warming, burning fossil fuels, is also a major cause of dirty air. "What is clear is that the common culprit across the globe is the burning of fossil fuels -- coal, oil and gas -- worsened by the cutting down of our forests,"
    In my rural area thousands of acres of corn and soybean are being replaced by solar panel companies. Granted, solar energy is helpful in reducing air pollution vs fossil fuel burning, but plants produce oxygen and promote insect populations. Guess no one is even thinking about the lasting effect of solar farm agricultural / environmental destruction much less the real lack of consumer energy benefit in the form of lowered monthly bills.

As far as population, China has addressed it with their birth number restrictions law. Hopefully it is enforced more than environmental protection laws in the US.
    Last edited by spoonminnow; 20-01-2020 at 10:25.

Quote Originally Posted by spoonminnow View Post
    As far as population, China has addressed it with their birth number restrictions law. Hopefully it is enforced more than environmental protection laws in the US.
    Another new virus in China, natures natural way of controlling population. The more we multiply the more they multiply. If they don't kill us they weaken us and reduce fertility and birth rates. Aids , Ebola, whats next, some deadly flu virus maybe, I read that Polio is making a comeback and measles; we only temporarily beat nature but it will win in the end. Population control is in natures hands not ours.
    Last edited by markg; 19-01-2020 at 15:02.

Virus will become the biggest killer with population growth the closer people live together the quicker virus spreads. Due to fake news jab uptake for some virus is lower already.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    I do hope our standards don't decline after we leave the EU but suspect they will. Mind you the overuse of insecticides, antibiotics and chemicals generally are a world wide problem. Space and other planets may offer hope long term if if only to have a vast universe to pollute.
    We've already dumped stuff on the moon and one reason alien life hasn't contacted us much could be the amount of junk satellites we got floating round the planet. Should we discover something of value up there we will exploit and litter further, yet the most valuable things we have here, hell we can't even keep the verges of our roads free of filth so it's a good thing we are far too primitive to get any distance into space

I wonder also if the world going vegan will lead to even less insects as many of them seem to like living on animal poo and they don't seem to do too well on arable land.

Going vegan will mean less insects due to the amount of veg insects and grubs eat unless we switch to GM crops which in turn leads to less insects.
    At least insects don't normally eat global warming meat unless it's dead.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast