Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  58
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default The greatest worry for mankind

A guy called John Griffith posted this on Facebook. I don't know if the original author is an angler, an environmentalist, or one of the 'Extinction Rebellion' people, but I suspect he's a common sense chap who is genuinely concerned, as should we all be.

This was his post and the picture. -
    "Yes, this is a really good example of shifting baseline syndrome. Read below: I do not know who the author is.

"SHIFTING BASELINE SYNDROME.

Do you remember washing your car 20 years ago? Massive dragonflies and insects of all shapes and sizes splattered over the windscreen?
    The younger generations may not even know, but older people will surely remember that up until some 20 years ago any car trip on a late summers afternoon meant a windshield covered in dead insects.
    However, nowadays that doesn't happen so much, does it?
    It may sound great news—after all, who doesn't like to travel with a clean windshield? But what does it really mean? Doesn't that tell you anything?
    Scientists associate the dramatic decline in insect populations with industrial agricultural practices, especially habitat destruction and pesticide use.
    That decline, besides being a tragedy by itself, also affects the whole terrestrial ecosystems, such as the birds', reptiles' and amphibians' diet, pollination, etc.

The collapse of the insect populations may be a forewarning of the collapse of the terrestrial ecosystems..

This is the critical decade for action in solidarity with life itself"
    The greatest worry for mankind-fly-life.jpg
    "I care not what others think of what I do, but I care very much about what I think of what I do! That is character!" - Theodore Roosevelt

Default The greatest worry for mankind

I did think myself last summer the lack of insect corpses on my windscreen was distinctly less then I remember.

I honestly believe that it will only get worse as we see a growth in farming methods to cater to latest trends. More pesticides, more herbicides, more artificial fertiliser. Will make a huge impact into our invertebrate population terrestrial & aquatic a like.

I find it very concerning

Default Re: The greatest worry for mankind

For a long time I was one of those with my head in the sand, climate change, species becoming extinct etc.went straight over my head.

One of the first things that suddenly made me think and have a genuine sadness and concern was exactly the graphic above. As a chauffeur driving every day often before sunrise and after sunset on hot Summer days my car would be caked in bugs, I spent hours removing the blood splattered mess! I’d even go to the trouble of putting cling film over certain areas of the car so I could arrive to pick up my client with a clean car, having peeled off the film prior to pick up. (I was totally ocd).

It’s only been in the last few years that I notice this doesn’t happen any more, I’m sure I’ve mentioned it here, even as a townie most of my life with my head in the sand I could understand the environmental impact the disappearance of insects is having on our planet.

Now living by the sea and spending time on the beach, even more now I’m sea fishing it’s also noticeable how those irritating flies are rarely a problem.

The scale of devastation happening in Australia is on a level I can hardly comprehend, terrifying.
    Last edited by s63; 16-01-2020 at 22:55.

I was certainly aware of the decline in Butterflies, but otherwise I had not really noticed I am ashamed to say. Things are certainly different from when I was young too. We seldom see a Sparrow and yet we get loads of Blue ****, Great ****, Coal **** and Long Tailed ****. When I used to watch out of the window as a kid the **** were occasional visitors and the ground was awash with Sparrows. I have to say I really miss them. Now I think of it you do not see so many moths around outside lights any more either. So sad.
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

I did not swear that is their correct names!
    By the time a man realizes his Father was right, he has a son who thinks he's wrong.

The sparrows seem to have deserted London completely, plenty down here in Kent, like me they’ve had enough of city life!

See a few sparrows down here every summer in Sussex by the sea, not seen a tree sparrow for years, saw one song thrush last year. Both these were very common in London when I was a kid. I still see plenty of Dragonflies when by the canal and they seem to be around for longer, warmer autumns and winters. Still see a great splurge of flying ants most years when they take to the air. The most common birds now seem to me are magpies and wood pigeons. Plenty of **** and the coal tit seems to have increased and gold finches.
    I have read some reports of the disappearing insects as well, nature has changed a lot from when i was a kid, should we fight it, is it a losing battle or just accept it?
    Last edited by markg; 17-01-2020 at 08:44.

Interesting, so a tit is acceptable but **** are not.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    Interesting, so a tit is acceptable but **** are not.
    I noticed that, couldn't be bothered to change it, it's a load of ****.

Just about as confusing as a pair of kippers.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast