Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Placing stotz on line.

Placing stotz on line.-d152de34-3827-4d4b-a412-dcab7acde8e5.jpg

These are the small pair of pliers I’ve been using, in between the tips of the jaws is a size 8 stotz,to me they are just right for the task not to big or clumsy at all.

Blog Entries

Compared to the nu-fish pliers Seth they are,but if you are ok doing them that way,all is good,i used to use style pliers,a poor second place im afraid...

never used stotz - but I do use Styl leads still (in legal sizes).
    I use pliers like Whitty recommends (mine are an original Image model).

With the styl dispenser (sensas) if you shake the weights on a flat surface (the yellow area in the middle of the dispenser) most of the styl weights end up split side down - so dead easy to pick up with the pliers.
    Do Stotz behave in the same way??

Buy a pair of the cheap Styl shot pliers, best thing for the job, been using them for decades.
    Attached Images Attached Images Placing stotz on line.-67ffc1ec-c784-4173-b8e2-7dfd851dc27c.jpeg 

Probably would John, but if I used my thumb on that I would get bad cramps in it.

Result of using jackhammers for years when I worked, did get a 5 grand payout for whitefinger out of it though

Blog Entries

I get similar through using air tools all my working life,not as bad as you though obviously as i can still do the fiddly sh1t,i do however feel the quicker you get the stotz on the line the less chance of cramping,if i have a decent steak i get these cramps in my left fork holding hand,i think £2.75 is cheap,in fact so much so its worth a punt even if you give it away,they are that good imo...

To you Alex,you ought to try them,they slide easily without damaging the line and there is no issues of poor splitting,or line diameter causing problems,you can put them on 8lb line a piece of p1ss,these days I use them for everything and carry them from 8's down to 13's,but mainly use 8-11's....
    Last edited by whitty; 02-02-2020 at 17:49.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by John Keane View Post
    Buy a pair of the cheap Styl shot pliers, best thing for the job, been using them for decades.
    The only issue with those is that you have to squeeze the pliers to hold the stotz,with the nufish ones you release the pliers to hold the stotz,it is a very clever yet simple design....

I'll have a look at Stotz thanks Alan - I struggle to source decent quality soft no.8 shot these days.
    Still got plenty of good no.10 shot and can't see slits in no.12 to put on the line ;-)

the nufish design is very good. My Image one (identical) is from 1992, I wonder if Birdy had the original idea ??

Blog Entries

Quite possibly,i'd be interested what you think of them,as i say i use them for running line work,i like the way they are uniform shape wise. Ive been to John Price's funeral today,im quite shocked how few anglers were there,especially the old ABC lads,he never had a bad word for anyone,sad,more bowls people,50 or more,5 or 6 anglers...

RIP John Price ... agree that he was a lovely man.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast