Placing stotz on line.

seth49

Reaction score
Been tying a few pole rigs up these last couple of days, now I like using stotz for these, but my large hands struggle fitting them to the line.

Anyway I had an idea how to make it easier, I place the stotz on my bench with the groove facing down, and picked them up with a small pair of long nosed pliers, with the hook over a nail keeping the line tight in my left hand, i placed the groove in the stotz on the line and squeezed the pliers to secure it on the line, it worked a treat and it’s the easiest way I’ve found of doing it.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I do a lot of my shot placement just like that using forceps.

nottskev

Reaction score
I know I often scoff at the explosion of gizmo's, but I have a couple of the little pliers sold for the job by PI.
Wide-mouthed and putting you at 90 degrees to the business end, you can pick the stotz up easily and squeeze them on evenly. Whenever I've squeezed them on some other way, I find they don't always work perfectly, partly coming way from the line, for example, or proving harder to slide than they should.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Although I don't use a pole these days I do still use stotz for my presentation when necessary. I've used one of these for many years now and it's perfect for applying shot and stotz as well as removing them without damaging the line.

CLICK HERE

Last edited:

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I use a Preston Stotta. Lie stot with groove up on a flat surface, place taught line in the groove then squeeze on.

seth49

Reaction score
I found the stotta to small for my hands, it gave me cramp trying to use it To put the stotz on.

Reaction score
I use a couple of pairs of s/steel pliers which i use,i place the stot z groove down in my palm,depress the pliers,(which opens them),release them which grips them,then align the stotz,then sqeeze the tip of the plier to close them,effective 99.9% of the time and far nearer than ordinary type pliers...if i get a chance i will look up what they are called,i think middy made them,but maybe not....

Reaction score
Right,i looked on the Benwick Sports website and found the above shot pliers by Nu-fish,£2.75,i didnt get mine from there and they werent made by that company,but they are the same,although small because they grip the stot lightly they are very efficient and dont take up a lot of room plus being light...

rayner

Reaction score
I just nip them together with my teeth, I use a stotter to take them off if need be.
For styles I use double sided tape, stick it to my desk then stick the style to the tape with the line laid down the split, nip together with style pliers. Easy ways to do most things, unsteady hand is a pain.

seth49

Reaction score
D152DE34-3827-4D4B-A412-DCAB7ACDE8E5.jpg

These are the small pair of pliers I’ve been using, in between the tips of the jaws is a size 8 stotz,to me they are just right for the task not to big or clumsy at all.

Reaction score
Compared to the nu-fish pliers Seth they are,but if you are ok doing them that way,all is good,i used to use style pliers,a poor second place im afraid...:)

silvers

Reaction score
never used stotz - but I do use Styl leads still (in legal sizes).
I use pliers like Whitty recommends (mine are an original Image model).

With the styl dispenser (sensas) if you shake the weights on a flat surface (the yellow area in the middle of the dispenser) most of the styl weights end up split side down - so dead easy to pick up with the pliers.
Do Stotz behave in the same way??

John Keane

Reaction score
Buy a pair of the cheap Styl shot pliers, best thing for the job, been using them for decades.

Attachments

• 67FFC1EC-C784-4173-B8E2-7DFD851DC27C.jpeg
    67FFC1EC-C784-4173-B8E2-7DFD851DC27C.jpeg
    19.7 KB · Views: 184

seth49

Reaction score
Probably would John, but if I used my thumb on that I would get bad cramps in it.

Result of using jackhammers for years when I worked, did get a 5 grand payout for whitefinger out of it though ;)

Reaction score
I get similar through using air tools all my working life,not as bad as you though obviously as i can still do the fiddly sh1t,i do however feel the quicker you get the stotz on the line the less chance of cramping,if i have a decent steak i get these cramps in my left fork holding hand,i think £2.75 is cheap,in fact so much so its worth a punt even if you give it away,they are that good imo...

To you Alex,you ought to try them,they slide easily without damaging the line and there is no issues of poor splitting,or line diameter causing problems,you can put them on 8lb line a piece of p1ss,these days I use them for everything and carry them from 8's down to 13's,but mainly use 8-11's....

Last edited:

Reaction score
Buy a pair of the cheap Styl shot pliers, best thing for the job, been using them for decades.

The only issue with those is that you have to squeeze the pliers to hold the stotz,with the nufish ones you release the pliers to hold the stotz,it is a very clever yet simple design....

silvers

Reaction score
I'll have a look at Stotz thanks Alan - I struggle to source decent quality soft no.8 shot these days.
Still got plenty of good no.10 shot and can't see slits in no.12 to put on the line ;-)

the nufish design is very good. My Image one (identical) is from 1992, I wonder if Birdy had the original idea ??

Reaction score
Quite possibly,i'd be interested what you think of them,as i say i use them for running line work,i like the way they are uniform shape wise. Ive been to John Price's funeral today,im quite shocked how few anglers were there,especially the old ABC lads,he never had a bad word for anyone,sad,more bowls people,50 or more,5 or 6 anglers...

silvers

Reaction score
RIP John Price ... agree that he was a lovely man.