Advice please.

chipbuttee

Reaction score
I have been informed that to put washing up liquid on mono line to help sink it will cause line rot? . Any thoughts on that.

mikench

Reaction score
Not if it's fairy.:rolleyes: Try putting the rod tip in the water and flicking it up and out to sink the line.

rich66

Reaction score
Not sure about washing up liquid rotting it but Mikes tip is spot on, or if your on still/slow waters cast past your intended area and reel back in with your rod tip under the water.

nottskev

Reaction score
Here's how to do it with a Drennan rod, Drennan reel, Drennan float and Drennan float-stops.
Who knows, it may even work with other brands.

YouTube

nottskev

Reaction score
You didn't say what kind of fishing you were doing. There are lots of videos showing how to sink the line when fishing method feeder without moving it, by sinking the rod tip and gently and slowly pulling the line until all the line is sunk.

The over-cast and reel back/ flick the rod up method is fine for waggler, but sometimes you need a bit more help. If you're wanting to hold your float next to a feature or the far bank of a canal. If you wind back then, you've pulled your float out of position. There are various ways to degrease line to help it sink - soaking a spool in dilute washing up liquid, pulling the line through a cloth with detergent on, having a sponge with detergent on on top of a rod rest and reeling in against it...... I never found washing up liquid damaged line, but then I never keep line unchanged for ages. Choosing a line that's easy to sink, like Maxima, helps; there are some lines that will resist being sunk and you will be fighting them all day.

iannate

The fish made me do it!
Reaction score
At last, I now know why I've been sub-consciously casting out with a bow in the line :w

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I get a piece of mud off the edge, run your line out the distance your fishing and pull it back through the piece of mud while squeezed tightly in your hand. I do this right up to the float and sometimes twice. The mud de-greases the line but watch if its a bit gritty, don't squeeze too hard if the case or find as less gritty piece as you can. However, it is not usually hard to find a smooth bit of mud especially if the ground is damp or wet anyway.
I find this works a treat when wanting my line to sink and no pollution issue. I do this before starting fishing usually and it lasts the session.
I find it helps a lot when wanting to fish a static float and wanting the line to be below the surface to avoid the surface flow. After casting and sinking the tip and winding back, it will sink a lot quicker than not doing this which I often find I have to over reel back and makes it difficult to position the float where I want it to be.
Just a PS, do I remember Fullers Earth was once used? It came in little tins from chemists but whether its pollution free or you can still get it, I do not know.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
PS- just to follow on from previous post, I googled Fuller's Earth, it is available on Amazon for about £3.50 but I assume it is still available from chemists as well. I will still use mud but anyone doesn't fancy that I think this might be better than washing up liquid,. here's what Wikaped says about it :-
Fuller's earth is any clay material that has the capability to decolorize oil or other liquids without the use of harsh chemical treatment. Fuller's earth typically consists of palygorskite (attapulgite) or bentonite.

Modern uses of fuller's earth include as absorbents for oil, grease, and animal waste (cat litter) and as a carrier for pesticides and fertilizers. Minor uses include filtering, clarifying, and decolorizing; active and inactive ingredient in beauty products; and as a filler in paint, plaster, adhesives, and pharmaceuticals. It also has a number of uses in the film industry and on stage.---

I am not sure if that's polluting but it looks like a more natural product consisting of mainly clay.

Last edited:

wetthrough

Reaction score
At last, I now know why I've been sub-consciously casting out with a bow in the line

It's also helpful combating the tow. If you flick the bow in the opposite direction to the tow before sinking, it takes a lot longer before the tow starts pulling the float.

seth49

Reaction score
Used to use fullers earth mixed with washing up liquid to degrease fly fishing leaders, one of **** walkers ideas I think, think it was marketed as perma sink.

Reaction score
It's also helpful combating the tow. If you flick the bow in the opposite direction to the tow before sinking, it takes a lot longer before the tow starts pulling the float.

Here we go,i want my float tackle to go with the tow,then drag small shot and fish overdepth to slow it down,how much shot and how much overdepth is entirely dependant on the amount of tow,some people believe the bait is stationary,i do not,ive caught far too many fish with it moving for it to be a fluke,far more than most do holding it still...

Keith M

Reaction score
Don’t forget when there is a surface tow on a stillwater then the undertow nearly always moves in the opposite direction to the surface tow, and If you let your float go along in the same direction as the surface tow then nine times out of ten your end tackle (which will be in the undertow) will be travelling in the opposite direction to most of the other food morsels around it. Of course making your hookbait move in the opposite direction to any natural food around it may make it stand out, but in my opinion it certainly wouldn’t look very natural and would be more likely to arouse suspicion to finicky fish.

If you can actually get your float to travel in the same direction as the undertow (in the opposite direction to the surface tow) then it would mean that your bait will be travelling along with all the other food morsels around it.
You can sometimes achieve this by moving your bulk shot down into the undertow, or at least get your float to stay relatively stationary even without having to drag your shot along the bottom; however you need a long and relatively thin stem together with a smallish body at its bottom which will catch the undertow (along with the bulk shot further down).
However if the surface tow is a bit too strong then its back to having some shot on the bottom.

I’ve used dilute washing up liquid to sink my float lines when needed for many decades without any problems at all and when I’m waggler fishing I nearly always carry a small squeezy bottle with some dilute washing up liquid in it.
And conversely I also carry another small container with grease or some fat in for when I need my line to float.

Keith

Last edited:

Reaction score
I should have said undertow Keith,surface draw is why i believe float design is critical,if the depth is 6ft plus a float of at least 10/12in in length,i prefer peacock,fat end at the base,thin end at the tip,around 4/5mm in diameter,a bulk shotting of at least 3 no8's,up to 4 no 4's,two small droppers below this,unless absolutely tanking,then more or larger droppers are dragged,i have caught fishing 3/4ft overdepth to slow it down...

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Used to use fullers earth mixed with washing up liquid to degrease fly fishing leaders, one of **** walkers ideas I think, think it was marketed as perma sink.

I thought I had heard of it somewhere along the line for this purpose. I think I will look for some, it used to come in little tins so kept with a little bit of cloth in the tackle box will do. There are times when iot is not so easy to get a little clod of earth or mud so this might be handy. Not sure I will mix it with washing liquid though, try it without at first and see how it goes.
Just a little point with using a clod of mud/earth, it dirties the line making it more camouflaged, duller and less shiney; not a big point but maybe worth a mention.

Last edited:

seth49

Reaction score
Not sure if it was washing up liquid that was mixed with fullers earth, now I think about it it could have been glycerin that was used in perma sink.

Just looked it up on google, it’s actually called ledasink and is still available.

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score

Used to make my own - Fullers Earth, Fairy Liquid and Glycerine. The Glycerine stopped the mixture from drying out and hardening. Absolutely essential when wet fly or nymph fishing and even dry fly to avoid surface leader reflections.