Thanks Thanks:  11
Likes Likes:  11
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please.

Default Advice please.

I have been informed that to put washing up liquid on mono line to help sink it will cause line rot? . Any thoughts on that.

Default Re: Advice please.

Not if it's fairy. Try putting the rod tip in the water and flicking it up and out to sink the line.

Not sure about washing up liquid rotting it but Mikes tip is spot on, or if your on still/slow waters cast past your intended area and reel back in with your rod tip under the water.

Here's how to do it with a Drennan rod, Drennan reel, Drennan float and Drennan float-stops.
    Who knows, it may even work with other brands.

You didn't say what kind of fishing you were doing. There are lots of videos showing how to sink the line when fishing method feeder without moving it, by sinking the rod tip and gently and slowly pulling the line until all the line is sunk.

The over-cast and reel back/ flick the rod up method is fine for waggler, but sometimes you need a bit more help. If you're wanting to hold your float next to a feature or the far bank of a canal. If you wind back then, you've pulled your float out of position. There are various ways to degrease line to help it sink - soaking a spool in dilute washing up liquid, pulling the line through a cloth with detergent on, having a sponge with detergent on on top of a rod rest and reeling in against it...... I never found washing up liquid damaged line, but then I never keep line unchanged for ages. Choosing a line that's easy to sink, like Maxima, helps; there are some lines that will resist being sunk and you will be fighting them all day.

At last, I now know why I've been sub-consciously casting out with a bow in the line

I get a piece of mud off the edge, run your line out the distance your fishing and pull it back through the piece of mud while squeezed tightly in your hand. I do this right up to the float and sometimes twice. The mud de-greases the line but watch if its a bit gritty, don't squeeze too hard if the case or find as less gritty piece as you can. However, it is not usually hard to find a smooth bit of mud especially if the ground is damp or wet anyway.
    I find this works a treat when wanting my line to sink and no pollution issue. I do this before starting fishing usually and it lasts the session.
    I find it helps a lot when wanting to fish a static float and wanting the line to be below the surface to avoid the surface flow. After casting and sinking the tip and winding back, it will sink a lot quicker than not doing this which I often find I have to over reel back and makes it difficult to position the float where I want it to be.
    Just a PS, do I remember Fullers Earth was once used? It came in little tins from chemists but whether its pollution free or you can still get it, I do not know.
    Last edited by markg; 30-01-2020 at 11:43.

PS- just to follow on from previous post, I googled Fuller's Earth, it is available on Amazon for about £3.50 but I assume it is still available from chemists as well. I will still use mud but anyone doesn't fancy that I think this might be better than washing up liquid,. here's what Wikaped says about it :-
    Fuller's earth is any clay material that has the capability to decolorize oil or other liquids without the use of harsh chemical treatment. Fuller's earth typically consists of palygorskite (attapulgite) or bentonite.

Modern uses of fuller's earth include as absorbents for oil, grease, and animal waste (cat litter) and as a carrier for pesticides and fertilizers. Minor uses include filtering, clarifying, and decolorizing; active and inactive ingredient in beauty products; and as a filler in paint, plaster, adhesives, and pharmaceuticals. It also has a number of uses in the film industry and on stage.---

I am not sure if that's polluting but it looks like a more natural product consisting of mainly clay.
    Last edited by markg; 30-01-2020 at 12:13.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iannate View Post
    At last, I now know why I've been sub-consciously casting out with a bow in the line
    It's also helpful combating the tow. If you flick the bow in the opposite direction to the tow before sinking, it takes a lot longer before the tow starts pulling the float.

Used to use fullers earth mixed with washing up liquid to degrease fly fishing leaders, one of dick walkers ideas I think, think it was marketed as perma sink.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast