Whip fish size?

dicky123

Reaction score
Just wondered what (biggest) size fish people have caught on 3/4/5 meter whips?

Reaction score
Ive had carp to 3-4lbs on the canal on single squat on a 26 hook in a league match once,very hairy,i take it you mean an un-elasticated one?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Om an elasticated "power" whip (manufacturers name), I had a carp a smidge over 15lb. However, this item had little in common with a proper whip with a flick tip. Even then, it was a very hairy experience. If it didn't happen in the depths of winter I'd have stood almost no chance.

It's been a long time since I've owned a proper whip, but I seem to recall landing bream of around 3lb on one. Individual whips vary, but they aren't meant for particularly big fish. The inexorable colonization of carp and a shift in my fishing over the years means that I can't think of a single venue I fish that I'd need a whip for. For some bizarre reason, that doesn't stop me looking at whips, it just helps me resist temptation.

rayner

Reaction score
If fish generally silver fish go to over 6-8oz my whips go away and I change to pole with elastic.
My thoughts on whip fishing is with a flick tip light lines. Stretching it with tackle is never a good way to go to my mind.
If bigger fish are expected, that is fish over 8oz. Then a pole or rod is my only choice. Of course there are short poles available that are capable of landing very big carp, there's no way a small pole could be called a whip.
I certainly intentionally wouldn't risk my carbon for the sake of a fish.

steve2

Reaction score
Tench of 4lbs from royal miltery canal. Pike of 8lb took a small roach when fishing the whip.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Carp 5lbs, tench 3lbs, bream 4lbs, all on 3 to 4m whips, no elastic. The hairiest encounter, though, was a 3-2 barbel on a 3m whip (no elastic) in a match to beat Andy May no less 26lb (1st) to 25lb (2nd) - the rest of my catch was roach.

dicky123

Reaction score
Impressive Mark.

I just love the simplicity of non elastic whips, that feeling in the hand, you never get with a reel/rod combo. It's sad Sam, that most places have carp in now. The anglers that chase them around the commercials have also changed. I saw a picture the other day of a match on a little commercial. So close together all facing each other. Now days, if I go fishing and see another angler my heart sinks, even though I'm friendly regardless. I love solitude and wild places when possible.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
When rudd fishing with my 7m flicktip whip I’ve had carp to 5lb, bream to a similar weight, when the big carp home in on my loose offerings it’s time to put the whip to one side.

rayner

Reaction score
I appear to be more than a little precious with my whip fishing. Whereas I refuse to fish over 4mtr, always with a flick tip, never with lines thicker than .10 with hook length limit of .08, plus fine wire hooks.
Better anglers than myself fish differently with their whips, some of the catches above show they are fishing way heavier than me. They are surely fishing with stronger whips and heavier line than myself, if I were to hook bigger fish than I stated they would see me off no trouble.
I wish I had confidence to fish heavier with my whips, truth is I haven't.

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Interesting comment, my whip is an old but imo a very good one, a Daiwa Harrier system whip which I will use anything from 4 to 7 metres.

I’ve experimented with different lines and find quite a heavy mainline coupled with a far lighter hooklength a good combo for less chance of tangles,casting and presentation so something like 8lb to 2lb hooklength. I’ve had plenty of heart in the mouth moments when a decent sized carp takes the bait and lunges away, I’ll follow it as far as possible dipping the tip well under the surface until the eventual and inevitable break but it’s surprising how strong this whip is with some of the fish I’ve landed bearing in mind I’m still something of a novice.

I do take a spare whip with me though, as yet unneeded.:)

Richox12

Reaction score
On a short whip with a flicktip - double figure pike. How stupid are they ? All they need to do is just keep swimming away. But no, they just plod around and around.....

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have an old shakespeare bleak whip, the tip is like a needle it is that fine, but a lot shorter than say daiwa or preston whips, it is 4.5 metres, but packs away down to less than a metre , I will measure it and post at later date,
It is over 25 years old,light as a feather, original line attachment was via a piece of what looked like thick braid attached to end of flick tip. This got replaced by a stonfo connector a few years ago.
Biggest fish on it was large pike that ended up spitting the roach out,
A carp of around 4lb which I landed but I could hear the joints in the whip creaking,
I did have a daiwa SR3 system 8 metre whip, it was fine at 5 metres ,after that it seemed unwieldy so i sold it.

rayner

Reaction score
The whips I'm using are Maver stealth 2, 3 and 4 meter, about 20 year old. Not that expensive, around 120 quid for the three. My memory is not so good but I doubt they would have been much more expensive.
I bought them because of the cork handle, I never tested them for bigger fish and have no intention of trying. I stick to light lines.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
The whips I have are three Browning Profil at 2.5, 3.0 and 3.5 and an original Daiwa System Whip at up to 7m. I generally used Concept 2000 2lb as mainline and 1.1 bayer for hook links and that's the gear used to land the bigger fish I had all those years ago.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I am thinking of looking at the daiwa connoisseur whips or the preston innovations ones.
I think the daiwa harriers system whip is still one of the best,no matter how many "new" versions of the system whip are brought out by daiwa.

WorcesterAd

Reaction score
Check this guy out. He's catching Sea Bream off the rocks using a 4m bleak (alborella) whip. I think he says that he is using 0.14 mono. It's impressive what can be landed without elastic on a whip! I'd love to try this in the UK but finding a venue might be tricky. It would be fine in a harbour I guess. I remember reading an article in the Anglers Mail or Angling Times a few years back about a guy that fishes off rocks with a whip. Caught loads of species. Interesting... m.youtube.com/watch?v=J8dpx5E_puE

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
Landed four 5 to 5,8 lb common carp on Friday using bread on the surface. All on my ‘Matt Hayes’ (Fladen) telescopic fibreglass kid’s 4m whip bought at Argos. Got to the lake and it was so cold I couldn’t be ar**d setting up a match rod, so just tied a premade rig on and went with it. Quite exciting and the whip was very well bent each time, but still perfect at the end of the day.

WorcesterAd

Reaction score
That is good going, landing a carp that size on a whip! The cheaper whips with thicker tips can play some bigger fish. Not so good on the strike perhaps...

Bobnewboy

Reaction score
That is good going, landing a carp that size on a whip! The cheaper whips with thicker tips can play some bigger fish. Not so good on the strike perhaps...

Well, I had tried float fishing with some more subtle rigs and baits, but a quick experiment with some pieces of bread floating showed the fish were interested in that only really. So I went all in with the simplest rig :) . A 5m length of 8lb line with a number 8 hook tied on directly. A good sized piece of Tesco’s basic bagel on the hook and that was it. It was a bit of a blunt instrument for angling, but in the coloured water it worked well.