If you target a certain species of fish.....

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know there are anglers who are completely obsessed with one particular species to the exclusion of all others.
Other anglers aren't quite so obsessed, but would still rather catch their preferred species.

If you fall into those categories what is it that you like so much about those species?

Personally, I like catching chub and barbel on float fishing tackle as both species pull back well on that equipment. I also like the look of the fish and the surroundings where I fish for them.
I also enjoy the method I use to catch them and get a buzz out of using the float rod and centerpin.
I do fish for other species but, for the most part, chub and barbel are my favourites.

barbelboi

Reaction score
Although I fish for most species these days my preference would be chub, barbel, roach and dace pin/trotting or free lining..................

ian g

Reaction score
I love float fishing with a pin where possible , my main target is perch mostly on the Severn . They fight pretty well on fairly light tackle , look fantastic and grow to a good size around by me . I also enjoying catching chub , barbel leave me a bit cold though catching them on the float does appeal , I just don'r really like sitting behind a couple of barbel rods.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'll target whatever is most prevalent in the waters available to me at a given time of year in the conditions on the day. However, I limit myself with an unwillingness to travel far. I also avoid doing anything but floatfishing.

I fish for grayling a lot, largely because they are viable even in the worst winter conditions. In the summer, when they are actually there, I'll happily fish for dace. However, I'd rather be fishing for the chub and barbel that used to be there in numbers that made them worth fishing for. I barely fish for barbel at all these days. If I do, it usually involves a long trip and floatfishing.

When it comes to stillwaters, I target roach in the winter on one particular stillwater. From April until September, I tend to target tench on a couple of waters. On top of that, I visit a few stillwaters with no specific targets other than catching something.

Last edited:

Aknib

Reaction score
I'm on what is arguably the best Barbel river in the country right now and whilst I get my fussy out of them it's the Perch which always gets my adrenalin going.

I will and do fish for just about everything but those big stripeys just hold too much allure for me.

I almost exclusively use the 'pin with float tackle and often fish deep water right under the rod tip with a worm just tickling the bottom which occasionally produces bites that are so savage the float becomes irrelevant as the rod goes over in similar fashion to the three foot twitch before the ratchet kicks in... A lovely sight!

On the flip side there are many occasions where they are more playful with the bait and anything but careful reading of the float coupled with the correct timing of the strike will result in missed bites all day long.

So many varied baits and methods of catching them too, I don't think i'll ever tire of it.

When I draw a big Barbel towards a waiting net there's no doubting the rush of excitement yet I know there's probably a hundred to one chance of the hook pulling by that time, whenever I'm drawing a big Perch toward the net I know one more head shake might, and even likely will, throw the hook and my heart's in my mouth until it's over the rim.

flightliner

Reaction score
I enjoy all species and methods in almost equal measure. Whichever of both depends on the seasons and conditions prevailing on a chosen water at any one time.
Over the course of this season alone I've chased Greyling using float tackle, small (ish) roach with stick float with hemp n tares.
Floodwater Barbel with heavy leads and feeders .
Normal river condition Barbel with float gear.
Big river roach with feeder gear. Chub with similar on small rivers.
Good Perch with float tackle, good Perch with feeder gear and big lobs( the pike are optional but largely not very welcome(lol). Biggish Bream and Tench feeder fishing during the summer months .
I still have every intention of trying for a few pike and a hoped for Zander before the seasons end.
Come the 15 march I have an invite to fish a Large syndicate carp water for some large Rudd, that will entail using float gear.
So, I suppose it's what I'm after on the day that rocks my boat but quitely I suppose it's a nice bag of roach that steals the show!

chrissh

Reaction score
I do like catching roach, chub, crucians and tench, on a float, but I have a weakness for trotting for grayling using a pin

steve2

Reaction score
Mine would now be lure fishing for pike, perch and chub. No loads of tackle just a rod, reel, net and some lures.

ravey

Reaction score
I think mine's got to be fishing the whip or short pole for quality roach on hemp and tares, although I also enjoy fishing the stick ot waggler with maggots nearly as much. Other species and methods appeal as well - it depends on venue and conditions, I suppose. I just like catchign fish on rivers, the Trent being my favourite.

john step

Reaction score
My trouble is that I like too many species and methods. I often think that this limits my experience and expertise. Perhaps I flit about too much to get really good at any one particular discipline but that's secondary to my enjoyment of fishing.

However if I had to pick one method over any other it would be long rod/pole float/under rod top/centre pin.

Last edited:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I would love to have grayling and barbel to go for, alas I would have to travel too far for them. Like most, it's all about the month, venue, weather etc with a bit of what I fancy. If I had to choose one species it would probably be bream, nah only joking, roach probably. Nearly always float fishing, nothing quite as nice as watching a float. If it's the sea, float fishing for Bass would be my choice however, anything is welcome except eels.
Being a one species angler, having to fish for that species all year round regardless of whether they are feeding or not and being disappointed with every other fish caught has never appealed to me but nothing wrong with it if that's what someone else wants.

Last edited:

peterjg

Reaction score
As a kid I started with roach, then (for decades) I had a thing about big carp, I especially liked the camping cum night fishing side of it. Ended up with 3 forties and 42 thirties.

Now 99% of my fishing is trying to catch big roach. Why roach? Well (for me anyway) big roach are just so difficult to find and catch - it's a great challenge. Rightly or wrongly I am of the opinion that these days big roach are the hardest fish to catch. My favourite method is laying-on with a large piece of flake, it's so nice to watch a float.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
For me it depends on the venue, if a commercial or a water of a new club I am a member of, it will be the bigger margin carp on the pole whether against the stick ups or mud line st 14 metres or under my feet, by big I mean mid doubles, I am going to be doing more canal fishing this season so it will be roach and perch , and possibly a day solely for gudgeon on light pole tackle.

theartist

Reaction score
I only float fish but love the variety it brings, can't believe the variety to be honest, one day you can be fishing for bass and mullet, next day roach and barbel all on the same rod, line, float. When something different appears I love it, like the sole perch that appeared yesterday amongst the seemingly endless chub, it was 3oz but it got the biggest smile. Fishing's about the unexpected for me, expect little and you'll have a great day most times

Reaction score
I agree with Rob,variety is fishing for me,but I love barbel,tench and crucians most,chub,perch,roach and bream close behind. When I fish for barbel I still enjoy catching chub and bream,in spite of knowing catching them can greatly reduce the odds of a barbel,acceptance of them is because that is just fishing for you....

d.owens

Reaction score
My favourite fish is still the perch, it was the first fish I remember catching and I still think they are the most striking looking fish we have.
My perfect fishing day would include roach, tench and crucians, all taken on the float. One of the biggest pleasures in angling, for me, is never quite knowing what I will bring to the net next.

mikench

Reaction score
I'm happy catching any fish and by any method. To watch a float bury or skip through the surface tension like a periscope is very exciting. No more so though than the tip swinging round and hitting your leg or the buzzer screaming as line is ripped off the spool.

As for species I like them all from a carp to a gudgeon but the one that makes me smile the most and which I find the most difficult/ elusive is the tench. I might get a bagful but one tench, no matter however small, makes my day.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
My favourite fish is still the perch, it was the first fish I remember catching and I still think they are the most striking looking fish we have.
My perfect fishing day would include roach, tench and crucians, all taken on the float. One of the biggest pleasures in angling, for me, is never quite knowing what I will bring to the net next.

Get yourself to spike island at Widnes , you could end up catching a few flatties among the roach and perch.

steve2

Reaction score
I have been through all the stages, carp,tench,chub angler and all rounder but predators have always it seems been top of my list since my first pike trip. I can still see that float bobbing then sinking out of site and striking into that first pike. A massive fish of around 3lbs far bigger than anything else I had caught up till then I took it home for dinner.

mikench

Reaction score
They are tasty. I ate one in France many years ago but would not do so now before I'm shot down in flames.:)