Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  67
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default If you target a certain species of fish.....

I know there are anglers who are completely obsessed with one particular species to the exclusion of all others.
    Other anglers aren't quite so obsessed, but would still rather catch their preferred species.

If you fall into those categories what is it that you like so much about those species?

Personally, I like catching chub and barbel on float fishing tackle as both species pull back well on that equipment. I also like the look of the fish and the surroundings where I fish for them.
    I also enjoy the method I use to catch them and get a buzz out of using the float rod and centerpin.
    I do fish for other species but, for the most part, chub and barbel are my favourites.

Default Re: If you target a certain species of fish.....

Although I fish for most species these days my preference would be chub, barbel, roach and dace pin/trotting or free lining..................
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

I love float fishing with a pin where possible , my main target is perch mostly on the Severn . They fight pretty well on fairly light tackle , look fantastic and grow to a good size around by me . I also enjoying catching chub , barbel leave me a bit cold though catching them on the float does appeal , I just don'r really like sitting behind a couple of barbel rods.

I'll target whatever is most prevalent in the waters available to me at a given time of year in the conditions on the day. However, I limit myself with an unwillingness to travel far. I also avoid doing anything but floatfishing.

I fish for grayling a lot, largely because they are viable even in the worst winter conditions. In the summer, when they are actually there, I'll happily fish for dace. However, I'd rather be fishing for the chub and barbel that used to be there in numbers that made them worth fishing for. I barely fish for barbel at all these days. If I do, it usually involves a long trip and floatfishing.

When it comes to stillwaters, I target roach in the winter on one particular stillwater. From April until September, I tend to target tench on a couple of waters. On top of that, I visit a few stillwaters with no specific targets other than catching something.
    Last edited by sam vimes; 03-02-2020 at 19:36.

I'm on what is arguably the best Barbel river in the country right now and whilst I get my fussy out of them it's the Perch which always gets my adrenalin going.

I will and do fish for just about everything but those big stripeys just hold too much allure for me.

I almost exclusively use the 'pin with float tackle and often fish deep water right under the rod tip with a worm just tickling the bottom which occasionally produces bites that are so savage the float becomes irrelevant as the rod goes over in similar fashion to the three foot twitch before the ratchet kicks in... A lovely sight!

On the flip side there are many occasions where they are more playful with the bait and anything but careful reading of the float coupled with the correct timing of the strike will result in missed bites all day long.

So many varied baits and methods of catching them too, I don't think i'll ever tire of it.

When I draw a big Barbel towards a waiting net there's no doubting the rush of excitement yet I know there's probably a hundred to one chance of the hook pulling by that time, whenever I'm drawing a big Perch toward the net I know one more head shake might, and even likely will, throw the hook and my heart's in my mouth until it's over the rim.

Blog Entries

I enjoy all species and methods in almost equal measure. Whichever of both depends on the seasons and conditions prevailing on a chosen water at any one time.
    Over the course of this season alone I've chased Greyling using float tackle, small (ish) roach with stick float with hemp n tares.
    Floodwater Barbel with heavy leads and feeders .
    Normal river condition Barbel with float gear.
    Big river roach with feeder gear. Chub with similar on small rivers.
    Good Perch with float tackle, good Perch with feeder gear and big lobs( the pike are optional but largely not very welcome(lol). Biggish Bream and Tench feeder fishing during the summer months .
    I still have every intention of trying for a few pike and a hoped for Zander before the seasons end.
    Come the 15 march I have an invite to fish a Large syndicate carp water for some large Rudd, that will entail using float gear.
    So, I suppose it's what I'm after on the day that rocks my boat but quitely I suppose it's a nice bag of roach that steals the show!

I do like catching roach, chub, crucians and tench, on a float, but I have a weakness for trotting for grayling using a pin
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

Mine would now be lure fishing for pike, perch and chub. No loads of tackle just a rod, reel, net and some lures.

I think mine's got to be fishing the whip or short pole for quality roach on hemp and tares, although I also enjoy fishing the stick ot waggler with maggots nearly as much. Other species and methods appeal as well - it depends on venue and conditions, I suppose. I just like catchign fish on rivers, the Trent being my favourite.

My trouble is that I like too many species and methods. I often think that this limits my experience and expertise. Perhaps I flit about too much to get really good at any one particular discipline but that's secondary to my enjoyment of fishing.

However if I had to pick one method over any other it would be long rod/pole float/under rod top/centre pin.
    Last edited by john step; 03-02-2020 at 22:13.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast