Line for trotting

chipbuttee

Reaction score
My question is what line to use with a centre pin reel for trotting its a mix of roach, dace and chub in the river I am going to try I have looked at Drennan supplex are there any others I could investigate?.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think your gonn'a get a few varying opinions on this.
No use me saying my favourite line as it only lays on the surface so is a sinking line, apparently it's wirey and has memory, it's thick in diameter and stretchy.....so really no use for trotting at all. Funny thing is it works for me and I catch fish with it :confused:.

My second favourite is as posted above by chrissh...bayer perlon.

nottskev

Reaction score
Funnily enough, I tried Supplex and got to like it. I first tried it on a fs for light waggler, but I found it hard to sink if you have much line out, so I tried it in 3lb on a fs for stick float, where it proved very good once I realised that you have to be a bit careful moving shot etc. I then tried it in 4lb and 5lb on a pin for tench and crucians, where I've happily used it for several years.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Line choices largely come down to a combination of user preference, cost and availability. If I had to buy some line for trotting asap, it would probably be Dave Harrell Pro-Float. The significant factor there is that I know it's available in my local tackle shop. However, I'd happily settle for Bayer Perlon, Silstar Match Team, or Drennan Float Fish, if they had any of them in stock. There aren't many monos that are genuinely buoyant, but I try to avoid those that are much denser than water (i.e. sink fastest). I'm not remotely interested in any line that necessitates the use of some form of treatment.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I've used Drennan Float fish for many years and never had any real problems with it when trotting . . . . it is inexpensive, available all over and has stood the test of time.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
Line choices largely come down to a combination of user preference, cost and availability. If I had to buy some line for trotting asap, it would probably be Dave Harrell Pro-Float. The significant factor there is that I know it's available in my local tackle shop. However, I'd happily settle for Bayer Perlon, Silstar Match Team, or Drennan Float Fish, if they had any of them in stock. There aren't many monos that are genuinely buoyant, but I try to avoid those that are much denser than water (i.e. sink fastest). I'm not remotely interested in any line that necessitates the use of some form of treatment.

I've used Dave Harrell Pro Float for two years and Pro Match for one season. Pro Match is a better line (less curly) and resists sinking but all the lines mentioned including Bayer Perlon, Drennan, Sensor, the Harrell lines, plus one that people think of as a sinking line, Maxima, all have the same density of about 1.05 ie slightly denser than water. It's the finish that makes a line easier to keep afloat/sink, with matt for a sinker - Maxiima, and shiny for one that resists sinking eg Bayer. Bayer/Drennan Floatfish is old hat now and there have long been much better lines. My favourites that are no longer available are Concept 2000 and Daiwa Harrier (still got some of the brown version but the original black was sublime for the stick in 1.5 or 2lb).

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've used Dave Harrell Pro Float for two years and Pro Match for one season. Pro Match is a better line (less curly) and resists sinking

It might be, but I can't get it locally, so it doesn't matter. The others I don't tend to use, but would at a push, if I could get them locally. The one oddball I have, but am yet to try, is Maver Power Reel. That came as a tackle shop recommendation.

As for the densities, there was a reason why I used Ultima Flo-Cast for so long. When it disappeared I tried different braids for several years. I eventually went back to mono, but not because I think any of it is perfect. When it comes to buoyancy, no mono I've tried is as buoyant as I'd like. Some mono works better than others though.

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I’ve used all of the usual suspects over the years, I now mainly use Daiwa Sensor and think it’s as good as any of the others. One plus is that by filling from a bulk spool you can load exactly the length that you want with no waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Richox12

Reaction score
I would have thought Supplex to be too soft & flexible. I actually prefer something a little stiffer to help manage the line and harder so I can move shot frequently without worrying so much.

Mark's right - all solid nylon monos are roughly the same SG and so actually sink. It's surface finish & coating which holds them up in water - for a while. Hence wash the line and it sinks much more readily.

mikench

Reaction score
What Ray and Tigger said. I have just spooled a new pin with sensor and look forward to trying it. It's really good value too.

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
What Ray and Tigger said. I have just spooled a new pin with sensor and look forward to trying it. It's really good value too.

Its certainly cheap and readily available. Personally I think that has a lot to do with its popularity. I hate the stuff as you all well know and will not use line I don’t get on with irrespective of how cheap it might be. There are much better lines out there imo.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Its certainly cheap and readily available. Personally I think that has a lot to do with its popularity. I hate the stuff as you all well know and will not use line I don’t get on with irrespective of how cheap it might be. There are much better lines out there imo.

Being cheap and readily available has nothing to do with why I use it, I use it because it's the best mono i've come across for trotting , or most other angling methods in the uk.
Regarding these much better lines being out there i'm all ears !

Reaction score
I think your gonn'a get a few varying opinions on this.
No use me saying my favourite line as it only lays on the surface so is a sinking line, apparently it's wirey and has memory, it's thick in diameter and stretchy.....so really no use for trotting at all. Funny thing is it works for me and I catch fish with it :confused:.

My second favourite is as posted above by chrissh...bayer perlon.

But you didnt name it Ian,I will Daiwa Sensor and even if i dont like it personally i would not hesitate to recommend it to others to try,if Ian uses it,there is nothing really wrong with it,he would not use it if there were....

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
I don’t think I have ever lost a fish through using sensor. It’s quite abrasion resistant. With a pin line twist isn’t a problem and it sits well on the water. I don’t really see what’s not to like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
I don’t think I have ever lost a fish through using sensor. It’s quite abrasion resistant. With a pin line twist isn’t a problem and it sits well on the water. I don’t really see what’s not to like.

It's too thick for stick float fishing; I prefer a line that's 0.12 to 0.14 in diameter not 0.20 which is what 4lb Sensoor is.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It's too thick for stick float fishing; I prefer a line that's 0.12 to 0.14 in diameter not 0.20 which is what 4lb Sensoor is.

What makes 0.20 to thick for stick float fishing?

sam vimes

Reaction score
Has anyone that doesn't like Sensor ever tried to suggest that you can't/won't catch anything if you use it? I've never noticed it if they have. It would be quite ridiculous to do so. As ever, I couldn't care less how many people love it. I don't care how well they do with it.

Good luck to those that do love it, but I'm never going to like it. It's just a matter of preference. I do occasionally revisit the stuff, just to be sure, as I do with many things that people rave about. I did find it marginally less objectionable when spanking new on a centrepin, but I still don't like it.

Occasionally I've changed my mind in such revisiting excercises. Centrepins and Acolyte rods both fall into that category. Tried both and was distinctly underwhelmed. Only after giving them second chances did I come round to them. The Tri-Cast Allerton rods are an example of something I tried because people raved about them. I occasionally revisit to make sure, but I still don't like them, and it's unlikely I ever will.

I know that plenty of folks will not share my opinions and preferences. That's just fine, I've no desire to change their mind. As long as they are happy with their choices and they work for them, that's great.

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone that doesn't like Sensor ever tried to suggest that you can't/won't catch anything if you use it? I've never noticed it if they have. It would be quite ridiculous to do so. As ever, I couldn't care less how many people love it. I don't care how well they do with it.
/QUOTE]

Chris, i'm sure you know me well enough by now to know I really don't give a toss wether anyone else but me uses it, I try not to mention it's name as the same old crew instantly form a possey and start slagging it off?
At the end of the day I know it works well and am willing to fish along side anyone to prove it does.

Mark Wintle

Reaction score
What makes 0.20 too thick for stick float fishing?

45 years plus of fishing the stick, including many matches won with the method, and watching the best in the game using it long convinced me that fine lines give better presentation using a stick. Back in the day that was 1.7lb Bayer, then 1.5/2lb Daiwa Harrier. I still use the 2lb (the 1.5 long ran out) Harrier and also the new Dave Harrell line in 3lb which is a bit thicker at 0.14mm. I've used 4lb Sensor on a stick (it's really a 6lb line) but only when fishing for barbel on the Avon; also used 3lb Sensor though the 3lb Harrier is a better and finer line. I use 1.5lb Maxima as well on the waggler when circumstances allow it.