Thanks Thanks:  25
Likes Likes:  22
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Question Line for trotting

My question is what line to use with a centre pin reel for trotting its a mix of roach, dace and chub in the river I am going to try I have looked at Drennan supplex are there any others I could investigate?.

Default Re: Line for trotting

Im happy with Bayer Perlon
    Trust me I’m an Engineer

I think your gonn'a get a few varying opinions on this.
    No use me saying my favourite line as it only lays on the surface so is a sinking line, apparently it's wirey and has memory, it's thick in diameter and stretchy.....so really no use for trotting at all. Funny thing is it works for me and I catch fish with it .

My second favourite is as posted above by chrissh...bayer perlon.

Funnily enough, I tried Supplex and got to like it. I first tried it on a fs for light waggler, but I found it hard to sink if you have much line out, so I tried it in 3lb on a fs for stick float, where it proved very good once I realised that you have to be a bit careful moving shot etc. I then tried it in 4lb and 5lb on a pin for tench and crucians, where I've happily used it for several years.

Line choices largely come down to a combination of user preference, cost and availability. If I had to buy some line for trotting asap, it would probably be Dave Harrell Pro-Float. The significant factor there is that I know it's available in my local tackle shop. However, I'd happily settle for Bayer Perlon, Silstar Match Team, or Drennan Float Fish, if they had any of them in stock. There aren't many monos that are genuinely buoyant, but I try to avoid those that are much denser than water (i.e. sink fastest). I'm not remotely interested in any line that necessitates the use of some form of treatment.

Blog Entries

I've used Drennan Float fish for many years and never had any real problems with it when trotting . . . . it is inexpensive, available all over and has stood the test of time.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Line choices largely come down to a combination of user preference, cost and availability. If I had to buy some line for trotting asap, it would probably be Dave Harrell Pro-Float. The significant factor there is that I know it's available in my local tackle shop. However, I'd happily settle for Bayer Perlon, Silstar Match Team, or Drennan Float Fish, if they had any of them in stock. There aren't many monos that are genuinely buoyant, but I try to avoid those that are much denser than water (i.e. sink fastest). I'm not remotely interested in any line that necessitates the use of some form of treatment.
    I've used Dave Harrell Pro Float for two years and Pro Match for one season. Pro Match is a better line (less curly) and resists sinking but all the lines mentioned including Bayer Perlon, Drennan, Sensor, the Harrell lines, plus one that people think of as a sinking line, Maxima, all have the same density of about 1.05 ie slightly denser than water. It's the finish that makes a line easier to keep afloat/sink, with matt for a sinker - Maxiima, and shiny for one that resists sinking eg Bayer. Bayer/Drennan Floatfish is old hat now and there have long been much better lines. My favourites that are no longer available are Concept 2000 and Daiwa Harrier (still got some of the brown version but the original black was sublime for the stick in 1.5 or 2lb).

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wintle View Post
    I've used Dave Harrell Pro Float for two years and Pro Match for one season. Pro Match is a better line (less curly) and resists sinking
    It might be, but I can't get it locally, so it doesn't matter. The others I don't tend to use, but would at a push, if I could get them locally. The one oddball I have, but am yet to try, is Maver Power Reel. That came as a tackle shop recommendation.

As for the densities, there was a reason why I used Ultima Flo-Cast for so long. When it disappeared I tried different braids for several years. I eventually went back to mono, but not because I think any of it is perfect. When it comes to buoyancy, no mono I've tried is as buoyant as I'd like. Some mono works better than others though.

I’ve used all of the usual suspects over the years, I now mainly use Daiwa Sensor and think it’s as good as any of the others. One plus is that by filling from a bulk spool you can load exactly the length that you want with no waste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.

I would have thought Supplex to be too soft & flexible. I actually prefer something a little stiffer to help manage the line and harder so I can move shot frequently without worrying so much.

Mark's right - all solid nylon monos are roughly the same SG and so actually sink. It's surface finish & coating which holds them up in water - for a while. Hence wash the line and it sinks much more readily.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast