River feeder rod

nottskev

Reaction score
I think my issue is about stiffness of the tip in flowing water. The two rods I have are pretty lightweight, even for commercials, though I’ve had decent weights and double figure individual fish on both of them.

I tend to fish pretty light generally and would probably only invest in an Avon if I was targeting big fish or a big feeder rod if I was going to use it regularly.

The milo is a superb rod, as that review says.

Thanks for the replies so far, what strength tip would you choose for a river like those mentioned above?

You need more than one, really. Tips between 1.5 and 2.5 oz will probably cover what you've described. On the Dane, or some other small rivers, if I'm after chub and a 2oz tip isn't strong enough - I conclude the pace or flow where I've cast is wrong for chub and move/cast to where it does work! If a 2oz tip won't hold up, the fish are probably somewhere more comfortable. On the Dee you might fish with your rod down on a low or normal river, or up high, to take a bit of pressure off the tip, if it's running a bit harder. The tip material makes a difference; a glass tip will be a bit softer, and slower in the way it behaves, better for slow/low rivers; a carbon tip will be stiffer and work better in a flow.
If you have some tips in that range, just try them out and see how they work. I'm not trying to put you off getting the right gear, but you'll find that you can make tips work by adjusting where you cast, how high you position the rod, how much you tighten up or make a bow....... You can't really sit at home and say "this strength tip will do for these rivers"; there are a lot of variables.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
If I’m quite honest, I’m not even sure what tips I have, on commies I only ever use the lightest ones! Bite detection, casting and cushioning the feeder on landing being the factors in play.

I’ll dig out the other tips and see what I’ve got to play with.

chrissh

Reaction score
I think my issue is about stiffness of the tip in flowing water. The two rods I have are pretty lightweight, even for commercials, though I’ve had decent weights and double figure individual fish on both of them.

I tend to fish pretty light generally and would probably only invest in an Avon if I was targeting big fish or a big feeder rod if I was going to use it regularly.

The milo is a superb rod, as that review says.

Thanks for the replies so far, what strength tip would you choose for a river like those mentioned above?

I posted this on another thread it might help with the tips size you need

Rough guide tip rating
0.5oz - 1oz. Stillwaters Silverfish
1.5oz - 2oz. Stillwaters and slow-moving rivers Small carp, tench bream and silverfish
2.5oz - 3oz. Stillwaters and moderately flowing rivers Carp, tench and chub
4oz – plus. Distance fishing, the Method feeder and fast-flowing rivers Double-figure carp and barbel

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Haha you’ve got me sussed there, I tend to spend much more time thinking about fishing than I actually spend actually fishing! Life circumstances, alas!

nottskev

Reaction score
If you have, or get, a rod you're happy with that will last you a long time, it's worth getting a few tips to give you options. These are all light-ish tips, of the sort I was suggesting, to fit the Daiwa rod I mentioned - they also fit my other Daiwa rods, so the interchangeability pays off. It's not like I bought them all one day - I've accumulated them over about 20 years, but if you start with a quality rod, it's worth investing in tips.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Golden Eagle,
You're in trouble. From now on you are, because feeder fishing will eat up your free time, your savings, your readings... Feeder fishing is so cool ;)

If it may be useful, I've got those 3 rods (even if I started about 8 months ago).

1) Cormoran GF Feeder Pro Short Track 3m. Very well balanced, powerful. Now I don't use it on local UK rivers because I couldn't find softer tips (but there should be). The GF Feeder range has been extended and there's a bit of everything available. Of note, it costed me 39 euros.

2) MS Range Multi 300-330. Absolutely superb! I've got the Ultra Light version but there are heavier ones and the most interesting is the versatility of those, especially the Multi ones that come with 2 very different lengths, e.g. 330-390. Also all are provided with 4 or 5 thin carbon quiver tips.

3) Drennan Twin Tip 360 1.5lb. Comes with 1 quiver carrier + 2 tips, and 1 avon tip, which is why I was interested. Got it at a good price, and the range of feeder tips is impressive. That being said I wouldn't put it in the same quality category compared to MS Range.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
I’m certainly in trouble my friend! I’m fascinated by fishing tackle and there’s lots out there!

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Oh my. Thinking about fishing and browsing tackle catalogues... doesn't look good
Do you know you can order a print of the amazing 1000 pages Askari catalogue? They deliver to all countries for free
My wife told me once "I can't imagine of anything better in life than spending a Saturday evening staring at a fishing catalogue, really".

John Keane

Reaction score
If I’m quite honest, I’m not even sure what tips I have, on commies I only ever use the lightest ones! Bite detection, casting and cushioning the feeder on landing being the factors in play.

I’ll dig out the other tips and see what I’ve got to play with.

Bite detection “on commies” consists of a forward lunge as your rod flies out of the rest! Baitrunners are a bit of a must.

Reaction score
Ive been watching this thread with interest,imo small dace and roach are not good fish to target on the lead,if im thinking correctly a lot of the Dee is deep and dace are the main quarry on the lead,rigs and rod positioning are mega important for hooking these fish and these will need to be worked out in different pegs,good wands are the tool really,with tiny maggot feeders or straight lead...

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
That’s assuming you’re catching carp!

I’m out on a commie today, fishing maggot feeder for silvers, a different ball game altogether.

I catch plenty of carp but don’t own a baitrunner, I do use a good quality butt rest however!

Accuracy in casting is a key factor to success, particularly casting to features and a soft tip aids landing the feeder accurately and consistently.

Golden Eagle

Reaction score
Yes you’re right, I think the Dee is a unique river, deep and fast in the lower stretches.

Back in the days when I used to fish it more regularly the main tactic was a tiny feeder (we used to make them out of camera film), set to barely hold bottom with a large bow. Target species was dace on hemp and caster and bites were lightening fast, unhittable with a conventional approach. The tiny feeder with a large bow meant a bite dislodged the feeder and the fish hooked itself. A bolt rig i suppose?

In those days a quiver tip rod often had one permanent tip, so we never thought about tip strength!

There are less dace in the lower reaches these days with more roach and even some carp I believe.