Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

mikench

Reaction score
However, **** it, I won't bother anymore.

I liked the idea so much I made one today and have put it into the car. See above Mark. I still think I would attach it to a landing net pole rather than my Normark or Acolyte which allegedly have weak tips.

nottskev

Reaction score
Sorry if you think posts are mocking the idea in the book, but I genuinely wouldn't go poking any modern fine-tipped rod into trees or bushes to get a bit of terminal tackle back.

Not long since, I put my landing net down carelessly while fishing the stick on a swiftly moving bit of the Trent. As it sailed past me, I instinctively stopped it with the thin end of the priceless rod I was using, which started to bend alarmingly. When me brain kicked in - do I want to lose a landing net or break a rod I'll probably never replace? - I let the net go. I feel much the same about sticking rods into trees.
Perhaps they could stand this type of thing better when rods were made of the same stuff as the trees?

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I am not sure cutting branches would go down well on most waters, riparian owners, club, commercials, councils and day ticket waters might object. In fact, a couple of the farmers who let me fish for free would be most unhappy if they saw me doing this; opening up wounds for disease and it would be equivalent to damaging their property and that might be the end of that. Is this really a good idea!!
Plus cutting equipment is weighty; I keep my weight down as much as possible. Landing net handles where I would have to detach the net and making a heavier contraption to fit over one is an option but the cigar tube version is light and convenient and again keeping things minimal I don’t want to have to carry an extra LH or telescopic pole.
This is light and small and will fit into my tackle bag easily and can quickly and easily be deployed, I don’t use expensive rods that are easily breakable most of the time but I can understand some reluctance to use these rods for this purpose however, I am certain I won’t ever break one or lose the tip section, just need to be a bit careful. Usually these hook ups are in the lower branches anyway.
Any sharp edge on a cigar tube will only be on the open end and a bit of electrical tape will solve that.
I have been fishing for 50 years, read many books used forums and have never heard of anything as good an idea as this for this problem , or any idea come to that and I would never have thought of it myself so to me, it is a brilliant idea . And any lessening of lines, plastic bits etc left hanging in trees is a plus in this day and age of environmental sensitivity, it looks so bad for angling, always has.

I fail to understand why all of the above is not obvious except I do understand so I won't bother anymore.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Don’t take it to heart Mark, I enjoy your contributions as I’m sure many others do too. On this occasion there are sceptics, don’t desert the innovative ideas, some win some don’t.:thumb:

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Don’t take it to heart Mark, I enjoy your contributions as I’m sure many others do too. On this occasion there are sceptics, don’t desert the innovative ideas, some win some don’t.:thumb:
Thanks but don't worry about it, having a bad hair day in the hurricane and having a Phillip Scofield moment, it will pass but wont be passing any of these ideas on anymore, good or bad, mine or someone else, I have just come to the conclusion it is more often than not a waste of time so why take the trouble and I can do without the neck pain.

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I disagree with your last sentiment but if you are in the company of Holly Willoughby I don’t suppose you care.:)

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I disagree with your last sentiment but if you are in the company of Holly Willoughby I don’t suppose you care.:)

Well, putting cigar tubes aside, I don't think I would:) however, imagine being next to her every day and not being able to have some of it, no wonder he got confused:)

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Thank you Markg. My Heath Robinson rig retriever pictured earlier in the thread worked yesterday. I lost 2 floats ( both Visiwags) with one parting company with the weighted tip and the other when the quick change swivel opened up. After any tugs and snags check both. Gordon used it to pull a branch down and into the bank. My cord wasn't long enough but we improvised. The coat hanger hook was strong enough on a thicker part of the branch. I have a feeling Gordon may be putting his skills to make a much better version.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Thank you Markg. My Heath Robinson rig retriever pictured earlier in the thread worked yesterday. I lost 2 floats ( both Visiwags) with one parting company with the weighted tip and the other when the quick change swivel opened up. After any tugs and snags check both. Gordon used it to pull a branch down and into the bank. My cord wasn't long enough but we improvised. The coat hanger hook was strong enough on a thicker part of the branch. I have a feeling Gordon may be putting his skills to make a much better version.

I thought it would work, no reason why it shouldn't; I will make one up myself when i get round to it.

bullet

Reaction score
I know a couple of guys in my fly fishing club who swear by those, obviously no shot, floats etc. to worry about.