Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    Looks a likely scenario. Add in the risk that you accidentally tie your rod tip into the branches when you're poking about, knitting tip, branch and terminal gear together...
    How about the mainline getting cut on the sharp edge of the cigar tube leaving you with an entire rig up a tree and a broken rod tip?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Orders being taken . This tube would fit over a rod tip but better over the end of a landing net pole.
    True - if you can reach it with a rod you can likely reach it with a landing net pole or you could fit some sort of cutter arrangement to the end of the LN pole and hack the whole branch off, then it wouldn't happen again

Like this. The saw bit attaches to a bank stick or landing net pole and it’s great for rushes , reeds and small tree branches.

No I didn’t make it it’s a neat product from Gardner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another pic.

I have on of those saws mike, it’s even better now that I’ve fitted the blade from a jig saw in it, one for green wood with the large teeth.

I can imagine it is Keith. My problem is I have lots of gadgets, Tackle and bits but forget I have them and where I have put them.

Can you remember which ones you bought and which fit the Gardner without any cutting or trimming. The Bosche ones look too deep.
    Last edited by mikench; 08-02-2020 at 14:49.

Blog Entries

I was once gifted a brass ring for freeing pole rigs from reeds and vegetation, stops the risk of pole floats flying dangerously back after stretching the elastic. Slide the ring over the rig then pull free.

I think you're all being a bit disingenuous. In the diagram it is a split cane rod which were probably the main type of rod when this was invented, as likely to break as any modern rod I would have thought although the book is not that old - 1975. And your not putting any pressure on the rod tip, just using it to guide the contraption to a branch, once the rod is removed you can be as rough as you want.
    I have pulled a few branches down in my time and unraveled a tangle in the branches but have not been able to quite a few, I have a longer reach with this although I imagine some will still be beyond my reach, couldn't pull the branch down enough even with this but; still retrieve a lot more than usual.
    And even if the line is so tangled I couldn't unravel it at least I will be able to cut the line a lot nearer than otherwise been possible to the tangle and maybe retrieve the float, weight or swim feeder by cutting it or pulling it free. That beats yanking the whole lot and snapping it anyway, leaving the lot in the tree.
    However, **** it, I won't bother anymore.
    Last edited by markg; 08-02-2020 at 14:30.

It's not a bad idea Mark,

Using any rod tip could still be suicide though, chances are you could lose the top section either in the line or between some branches crossing and have it hanging, or fall in, trust me about that one lol

I get at least a couple dozen floats each year from trees on narrow rivers using an old telescopic pole I've never used so is surplus to requirements, superglued to the end is an old pen lid. Just simply push the tip through the branches to the line, hook the lid on it and twist several times then pull. Because it's telescopic you wont lose a top section and you can pull out surprisingly thick line.

It's surprising what sort of floats you find over the years

Ps those bad looking camo one's are home made jobbies, all the rest is salvage
    Last edited by theartist; 08-02-2020 at 14:45.

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Orders being taken . This tube would fit over a rod tip but better over the end of a landing net pole.

You can’t expect much from a bored retired lawyer. Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

Is Ann Summers still selling that old thing? Won’t the batteries fall out and pollute the river?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast