Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Flicking through an old book on sea trout fishing I bought yesterday, I came across this. I thought it a good idea; I will try to describe it.
Strap a crook of metal with a 2 or 3 inch gape to a cigar tube with the open end of the tube pointing downward. The metal crook looks like it has an eye on the end of it to which you attached a length of cord, probably about 12 or 15ft of cord.
The idea is to put the end of your rod in the cigar tube then you can lift this up to the branch and hook it over preferably where a twig or other branch sticks out; then you remove the rod from the cigar tube and pull the branch down with the cord.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to fashion the metal crook out of an old bit of metal. maybe a cut up old coat hanger would do. It basically looks like a large hook with the end folded over to form an eye. Some cord and an old cigar tube is all that is needed. Might be handy to keep something like this in your tackle box.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I like the old-world illustration. And the boy-scout ingenuity. But maybe not one to try with your Acolyte?

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly the thought that went through my mind, and as they say “snap”.

mikench

Reaction score
I like the old-world illustration. And the boy-scout ingenuity. But maybe not one to try with your Acolyte?

My thought exactly but I may make one as otherwise my cornershop tackle box will not be complete:rolleyes:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm thinking, Chris, the tube goes on the end of the rod. You manoeuvre the tube's hook over the branch. and move your rod away. You pull the branch down with the cord tied to the hook. You disentangle your line, float etc from the tree. You then order the new rod tip.

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
Orders being taken . This tube would fit over a rod tip but better over the end of a landing net pole.

13b35499306b020a1a85d5c3c6909350.jpg

You can’t expect much from a bored retired lawyer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sam vimes

Reaction score
I'm thinking, Chris, the tube goes on the end of the rod. You manoeuvre the tube's hook over the branch. and move your rod away. You pull the branch down with the cord tied to the hook. You disentangle your line, float etc from the tree. You then order the new rod tip.

Hmmmm, OK. In the mean time, you've also just wrapped your float/feeder/lead/shot, that are hanging between rod tip and hook, around every twig, branch and leaf in the vicinity. You've still got a tangle in a tree to go with your rod that's slightly shorter than it started the day. I suspect that there's probably a reason that this is in an old book, a fly fishing book, and has never been seen in decades.

nottskev

Reaction score
Hmmmm, OK. In the mean time, you've also just wrapped your float/feeder/lead/shot, that are hanging between rod tip and hook, around every twig, branch and leaf in the vicinity. You've still got a tangle in a tree to go with your rod that's slightly shorter than it started the day. I suspect that there's probably a reason that this is in an old book, a fly fishing book, and has never been seen in decades.

Looks a likely scenario. Add in the risk that you accidentally tie your rod tip into the branches when you're poking about, knitting tip, branch and terminal gear together...

sam vimes

Reaction score
Looks a likely scenario. Add in the risk that you accidentally tie your rod tip into the branches when you're poking about, knitting tip, branch and terminal gear together...

How about the mainline getting cut on the sharp edge of the cigar tube leaving you with an entire rig up a tree and a broken rod tip?

wetthrough

Reaction score
Orders being taken . This tube would fit over a rod tip but better over the end of a landing net pole.

True - if you can reach it with a rod you can likely reach it with a landing net pole or you could fit some sort of cutter arrangement to the end of the LN pole and hack the whole branch off, then it wouldn't happen again:)

mikench

Reaction score
Like this. The saw bit attaches to a bank stick or landing net pole and it’s great for rushes , reeds and small tree branches.

No I didn’t make it it’s a neat product from Gardner.

f42909f04c95c89d515aae43b4f0e687.jpg

seth49

Reaction score
I have on of those saws mike, it’s even better now that I’ve fitted the blade from a jig saw in it, one for green wood with the large teeth.

mikench

Reaction score
I can imagine it is Keith. My problem is I have lots of gadgets, Tackle and bits but forget I have them and where I have put them.:rolleyes:

Can you remember which ones you bought and which fit the Gardner without any cutting or trimming. The Bosche ones look too deep.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I was once gifted a brass ring for freeing pole rigs from reeds and vegetation, stops the risk of pole floats flying dangerously back after stretching the elastic. Slide the ring over the rig then pull free.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I think you're all being a bit disingenuous. In the diagram it is a split cane rod which were probably the main type of rod when this was invented, as likely to break as any modern rod I would have thought although the book is not that old - 1975. And your not putting any pressure on the rod tip, just using it to guide the contraption to a branch, once the rod is removed you can be as rough as you want.
I have pulled a few branches down in my time and unraveled a tangle in the branches but have not been able to quite a few, I have a longer reach with this although I imagine some will still be beyond my reach, couldn't pull the branch down enough even with this but; still retrieve a lot more than usual.
And even if the line is so tangled I couldn't unravel it at least I will be able to cut the line a lot nearer than otherwise been possible to the tangle and maybe retrieve the float, weight or swim feeder by cutting it or pulling it free. That beats yanking the whole lot and snapping it anyway, leaving the lot in the tree.
However, **** it, I won't bother anymore.

Last edited:

theartist

Reaction score
It's not a bad idea Mark,

Using any rod tip could still be suicide though, chances are you could lose the top section either in the line or between some branches crossing and have it hanging, or fall in, trust me about that one lol

I get at least a couple dozen floats each year from trees on narrow rivers using an old telescopic pole I've never used so is surplus to requirements, superglued to the end is an old pen lid. Just simply push the tip through the branches to the line, hook the lid on it and twist several times then pull. Because it's telescopic you wont lose a top section and you can pull out surprisingly thick line.

It's surprising what sort of floats you find over the years ;)

Ps those bad looking camo one's are home made jobbies, all the rest is salvage

Last edited:

John Keane

Reaction score

13b35499306b020a1a85d5c3c6909350.jpg

You can’t expect much from a bored retired lawyer.

Is Ann Summers still selling that old thing? Won’t the batteries fall out and pollute the river?