Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  17
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

Flicking through an old book on sea trout fishing I bought yesterday, I came across this. I thought it a good idea; I will try to describe it.
    Strap a crook of metal with a 2 or 3 inch gape to a cigar tube with the open end of the tube pointing downward. The metal crook looks like it has an eye on the end of it to which you attached a length of cord, probably about 12 or 15ft of cord.
    The idea is to put the end of your rod in the cigar tube then you can lift this up to the branch and hook it over preferably where a twig or other branch sticks out; then you remove the rod from the cigar tube and pull the branch down with the cord.

I wouldn't imagine it would be too hard to fashion the metal crook out of an old bit of metal. maybe a cut up old coat hanger would do. It basically looks like a large hook with the end folded over to form an eye. Some cord and an old cigar tube is all that is needed. Might be handy to keep something like this in your tackle box.
    Last edited by markg; 08-02-2020 at 07:46.

Default Re: Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

There you go I have managed a picture. Should come in handy i would have thought
    Last edited by markg; 08-02-2020 at 08:18.

I like the old-world illustration. And the boy-scout ingenuity. But maybe not one to try with your Acolyte?

Exactly the thought that went through my mind, and as they say “snap”.

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I like the old-world illustration. And the boy-scout ingenuity. But maybe not one to try with your Acolyte?
    My thought exactly but I may make one as otherwise my cornershop tackle box will not be complete

My thought is how you plan on getting the cigar tube over a float, lead, feeder or shot.

I'm thinking, Chris, the tube goes on the end of the rod. You manoeuvre the tube's hook over the branch. and move your rod away. You pull the branch down with the cord tied to the hook. You disentangle your line, float etc from the tree. You then order the new rod tip.
    Last edited by nottskev; 08-02-2020 at 09:56.

Orders being taken . This tube would fit over a rod tip but better over the end of a landing net pole.

You can’t expect much from a bored retired lawyer. Old tip for retrieving hook from trees.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I'm thinking, Chris, the tube goes on the end of the rod. You manoeuvre the tube's hook over the branch. and move your rod away. You pull the branch down with the cord tied to the hook. You disentangle your line, float etc from the tree. You then order the new rod tip.
    Hmmmm, OK. In the mean time, you've also just wrapped your float/feeder/lead/shot, that are hanging between rod tip and hook, around every twig, branch and leaf in the vicinity. You've still got a tangle in a tree to go with your rod that's slightly shorter than it started the day. I suspect that there's probably a reason that this is in an old book, a fly fishing book, and has never been seen in decades.

Quote Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
    Hmmmm, OK. In the mean time, you've also just wrapped your float/feeder/lead/shot, that are hanging between rod tip and hook, around every twig, branch and leaf in the vicinity. You've still got a tangle in a tree to go with your rod that's slightly shorter than it started the day. I suspect that there's probably a reason that this is in an old book, a fly fishing book, and has never been seen in decades.
    Looks a likely scenario. Add in the risk that you accidentally tie your rod tip into the branches when you're poking about, knitting tip, branch and terminal gear together...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast