Best value sub ?400 Seat box

sonny miles-currey

Reaction score
Looking for a new seat box to be used with both pole and rod /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gifPreferably with footrest. I have been looking at the preston innovations space station /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif Could everyone please share there views on what they think is the best box going for this price range. (I LIKE A LOT OF SPACE /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

THNX

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Sonny,

I found the Space Station to be too heavy, so I opted for the X-Box 6 Drawer. That has a 'cassette' type footplate and will of course take all of the Preston Innovations bold-on goodies.

I used my Boss 4 drawer box for many years and have only just recently changed to the Preston, so I am a little lothe to do a full review at the moment.

As to value for money, well that is more to do these days with how much you can afford to spend rather than real 'value' methinks.

sonny miles-currey

Reaction score
Yeh i thought that it looked quite heavy with the framework /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif i have had a look at the new x6s box that looks quite good and strong.Also some of the milo boxes look good for holdiong all tackle and asturdy base /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
I find it underneath the bottom of the box - sorry, couldn't resist that one.

Seriously though, it is non-slip and slides neatly back under the box for transportation. Very stable, but then with 6 legs you'd expext that.

I forgot to mention earlier; with the space station you would need the 'shuttle' to move it around as it really is too heavy for any distance carrying it, whereas with the X boxes the trolley is about ?30 cheaper.

Graham Whatmore

Reaction score
Did you buy that from DFS Peter in one of their never ending sales, its amazing what we anglers deem necessary to do a days fishing isn't it.

My mate has just bought this from Fosters and I am very impressed with its sturdy build, its extreme lightness but most of all the price, I was instantly jealous the minute I saw it. He is, incidentally, a long time, regular and keen match angler and even he is impressed. The footplate in particular is one the most stable I have tried, very impressive indeed.

Peter Jacobs

Staff member
Reaction score
Graham,

No, I try to use my local tackle shops, even if they are a little more expensive, at least I am doing my bit to make sure that they are still there next year.

Reid's Tackle at Witherington Farm Lakes is a really friendly shop, I got the new Preston pole and the X6 there as well, and yes, I nearly always get a cup of tea or coffee whenever I'm in there.

Bought a few Christmas presents in there too (nod nod, wink wink)

Reaction score
If you search the forum, i'm sure we've has threads like this before, they might have some info worth looking at.

The Space Station, seems to be quite heavy, and not offer as much storage, as say the X6. With the Preston boxes though, you should choose the drawer arrangement that suits you, as you can buy extra winder trays, and bases, to increase space. We have the New X6 and the space station on display at work, and more people, seem to sit on the X6 Then the space station.

The New Fox MSB 1 might be worth a look, as you can get this for about your price range, and it seems to have a fair bit of space, and well built. And being modular, you can obviously add parts to it (winder trays, draws etc) unlike the Prestons, when you can't easily add an extra drawer.

Ryan

Neneman Nick

Reaction score
In my match fishing days,i used to have a Kiley seat box....if memory serves me correct,it had six front draws,one side draw,oodles of room under the seat for made uppole rigs etc.... The base had plenty of room for reels and other sundries also.

Although a tad heavy,it was built to last and extremely comfortable to sit on.It came with octoplus legs and i added to it with a universal footplate and side tray etc....

I believe i have seen them for sale in magazines ??? with a free footplate and other various bits and bobs.

Well worth a look.

Shagpile

Reaction score
I have a Preston On box and to be honest it aint worth the money.You simply cannot get a trolley to fit it,other than the Preston trolley which i tried and it was awful.The footplate on my box does not allow the legs to sit upright,they always lean back slightly,which means puttin a side tray on is a nightmare.The X6 looks a good box with the front drawers,you will need front drawers as the preston attachments are so bulky,that when you try opening the side drawers they are stopped by any attachment you may have on the legs.Havin had my tackle stolen last year,i had my insurance pay out and bought a lot of Preston kit,as a guy i used to fish with is now an England regular( Des Shipp)is sponsered by Preston,i thought the tackle would be 100%.But that is far from the truth.If I was to buy a new box it would certainly not be from Preston.Also I bought the Dry fish 500 suit,who at Preston I wonder thought it was a good idea to put the zip on the pockets the wrong way around.The zip un-does from the bottom of the pockets allowing any item to fall out its a crazy stupid idea.From my experience there is better and cheaper boxes out there.

SIMONDO

Reaction score
I have just got a Fox MSB 1 after copious amounts of research. I must say I am not an expert on seatboxes but when it comes to what I look for in tackle items after nearly 40 years of dangling, I am quite choosey.

Having dispensed of my trusty blue shakespeare box about 8 years ago for a more roving approach of rucksack and chair, I have finally decided that my pole fishing requires me to be more upright, so a seatbox was needed.

I was put off many seatboxes by their poor quality of manufacture and bad designs, but the Fox MSB caught my eye, firstly for design then by quality of manufacture.

I have now used it 3 times and as such I'll offer the following pros and cons:-

Cons:-
Maybe heavy to some (not for me)
Top winder tray needs a 'bum shift' to open when sat on it (i'm 13 stone).

Pros:-
Solid non slip platform and easy to use
Loads of space and well laid out
Spirit levels are great (thought they were a gimmick but are useful!)
Bloody well made!!
comfy seat

M

MCMILLIGAN

i had the space station don't go there mate its just a pimped box go fro the onbox design or the 6 drawer much better build quality

M

MCMILLIGAN

<blockquote class=quoteheader>Nick (CSG) wrote (see</blockquote><blockquote class=quote>

I believe i have seen them for sale in magazines ??? with a free footplate and other various bits and bobs.</blockquote>
You can only deal with Kiley direct a mate of mine has got one well worth the money.

Stealph Viper

Reaction score
Take your £400 to your local tackle shop, tell them what you're looking for, try out the numerous boxes that they have on offer, sit on them, pick them up, try all the trays and then see if they have a trolley that fits the seat box and haggle with them to see if they will throw it in with the seat box. that way you have looked at all the things that suit you and everyone will get what they wanted.

Tight Lines /forum/smilies/devil_smiley.gif

mastercaster

Reaction score
If you want to look the part the space station is ok but all the preston box's are too heavy and if you get a draw that is a long walk you will be cursing ever buying one even with the shuttle its a pain if you need to cross fences, the fittings are a rip off too all the on box stuff is good but pricy i have gone through a few seat boxes in recent seasons trying to find the right one for me and im now happy with the mid range model from ULTIMATE , at £299 it is spacious with 5 drawers lightweight, far lighter than the preston models i have had, it has a sturdy detatchable footplate it comes with an easily attatchable wheelkit and nice bait tray that hides nicely underneath and has the added bonus of a spray bar for pole fishing all in the price and has all the add ons that preston offer at a far more reasonble price. the service fromULTIMATE was great, easy mail order service and fast delivery they do a range of top quality boxes from £100 - £400 and i would recomend them highly. ifish a wide range of venues from pits to southern rivers and fish baggin venues on the pole and theULTIMATE BOXhas coped in all situations admirably, i got my box 2 years ago and recently needed a bolt that had somehow come loose, one phonecall to ultimate and they sent the bolt that day totally free! 100% recommended.check out this link to their website http://www.ultimate-angling.co.uk or ring the mailorder hotline for a catalouge 01472 823777 i hope this helps.

M

MCMILLIGAN

if anyone is intersted i am selling my preston onbox with footplate and various bits pm me if intrested

Clive Wylie

Reaction score
Bought a Kiley seat box earlier this year.
It's made by hand, beautifully...brass corner pieces and drawer handles...but its not just for show. It comes in different sizes and models. Is not heavy, really comfortable seat over a long day and has plenty of space. There are drawer options plusalternative depth of bottom section...plenty of space for reels etc. Fitted with Octoplus legs and mud feet .

A really well made bit of kit that I reckon will give good service for many a year, long after many of the mass produced boxes have let you down and fallen apart

And, I'm not on commission but at this rate maybe I ought to be!

Clive Wylie

Reaction score
Bought a Kiley seat box earlier this year.
It's made by hand, beautifully...brass corner pieces and drawer handles...but its not just for show. It comes in different sizes and models. Is not heavy, really comfortable seat over a long day and has plenty of space. There are drawer options plusalternative depth of bottom section...plenty of space for reels etc. Fitted with Octoplus legs and mud feet .

A really well made bit of kit that I reckon will give good service for many a year, long after many of the mass produced boxes have let you down and fallen apart

And, I'm not on commission but at this rate maybe I ought to be!

p.s. go to: http//www.kileyfishing.co.uk