Dropshotting for Roach/Rudd/any other species than Perch

tommos16

Reaction score
Is there any reason why, in theory, "dropshotting" with sweetcorn/breadpunch/maggots wouldn’t work for other species like it does with a worm on for Perch? With a worm on I’m effectively fishing a bait static just off the bottom and it works a treat, I can’t think of a good reason it wouldn’t work for other species, down the centre of the cut. You could easily adjust the depth so your bait is on the bottom.

I’m thinking of things to do as I’ve been out the UK building ships for well over a month and I’m desperately missing fishing haha!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
Who is to say? Give it a try. My immediate reaction was that a moving piece of sweetcorn or bread would arouse caution big time in roach. Rudd on the other hand I would say are more preditory . I have caught them on small pieces of steak.
If your bait is adjusted to sit on the bottom you are in effect paternostering if I understood you correctly?

tommos16

Reaction score
Hi John, basically yes. The bait would be static though, I don’t move it around. In summer especially I could fish higher in the water with corn or bread for the Rudd. Think I’ll just have to give it a go and see, could be a way to find the fish

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
Are there any chub or ide in the waters you fish, also dont forget carp will go for those baits , In fact carp will go for most things, my friend had a 4" Rudd deadbait out intended for eels, he caught 2 carp, one of just over 10lb the other 15.8lb.

steve2

Reaction score
Having caught Rudd and roach on lures I see no reason why they can't be caught on normal drop shot lures.

steve2

Reaction score
I fish a lake where carp are pests when fishing dead baits and sometimes live baits.

theartist

Reaction score
Is there any reason why, in theory, "dropshotting" with sweetcorn/breadpunch/maggots wouldn’t work for other species like it does with a worm on for Perch? With a worm on I’m effectively fishing a bait static just off the bottom and it works a treat, I can’t think of a good reason it wouldn’t work for other species, down the centre of the cut. You could easily adjust the depth so your bait is on the bottom.

I could see this working over silt, you could effectively have the bait suspended just above maybe even stirring up a cloud with the weight without covering the hookbait. Maybe baits like bread and maggott could 'waft' a bit more natural than corn although squeezing the inside out of sweetcorn and just using the skins works well on hard ponds and it's really light. Maybe the drawback will be feeling the bite in time from those delicate biters, after all perch have a habit of smashing a bait.

Nice thinking outside the box :thumbs:

tommos16

Reaction score
Thanks all! Very true actually about the bites from the shy biters...becsuse yes, the Perch smash bites don't they. Roach, not so much.

Roll on summer though and I'll give it a go!

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
This may not be relevant but I tried attaching the hooks to my line drop-shot fashion when beach casting last year. I was experimenting and was attracted to the idea of the streamlined end rig for longer casting and less whiplash on the baits and it did facilitate this. However, this was static fishing with lugworms; but what may be relevant is the fact I missed a lot more bites than normal; even with the suicidal whiting. I thought it was to do with the fact that the hooks and bait were tight up against the mainline, the fish were not getting any slack when hitting the bait and the hooks were not working properly. Whether that would apply to using freshwater baits as opposed to lures as normally used when drop-shotting I do not know but it might. I think it could be the same, as fish feeding of a bait is not the same as a predator snatching a lure, the approach is very different unless the idea is having fish snatching at a moving bit of sweetcorn say but would they do it in the same way as a predator snatching at a lure.
As I say, not sure if its relevant, I don't really know much about drop-shotting but thought I would pass this on..

Last edited: