Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Using tackle how you like.

I find it quite amusing how people get wound up over other peoples choices,particularly on rods,one angler uses an Avon for barbel,another thinks its too soft,etc,etc,yet it makes no difference,people use what they choose,or should,its just an opinion,to me fishing is for fun,sport,whatever,the lighter the gear the more fun/sport there is,but and its a big but,not to the extent loads of fish are lost,I will not ever use a rod over 1lb 12oz test curve for barbel,period,full stop,but I wouldnt fish 20yds plus out in 8ft of floodwater either,or fish 8ozs of lead to hold bottom,others can and do,to me it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting,I sat yesterday contemplating the ignominy of hooking a 2lb plus roach on barbel gear,yuk,i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear,Rob(the Artist)was fishing 3.5lb hooklink,that is relatively heavy for roach,but very light for barbel(and before Rob brings it up,I agree lines today are much finer thus the need for finer gear has been reduced). Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs.
    On the thread What feeder rod for big fish I read about somebodys choice of the Cadence 13ft no.3 feeder rod for chub and barbel,now imo quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing...but that is me,it does not mean you CANT use one,anyway,sorry if ive gone off topic a bit...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    I find it quite amusing how people get wound up over other peoples choices,particularly on rods,one angler uses an Avon for barbel,another thinks its too soft,etc,etc,yet it makes no difference,people use what they choose,or should,its just an opinion,to me fishing is for fun,sport,whatever,the lighter the gear the more fun/sport there is,but and its a big but,not to the extent loads of fish are lost,I will not ever use a rod over 1lb 12oz test curve for barbel,period,full stop,but I wouldnt fish 20yds plus out in 8ft of floodwater either,or fish 8ozs of lead to hold bottom,others can and do,to me it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting,I sat yesterday contemplating the ignominy of hooking a 2lb plus roach on barbel gear,yuk,i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear,Rob(the Artist)was fishing 3.5lb hooklink,that is relatively heavy for roach,but very light for barbel(and before Rob brings it up,I agree lines today are much finer thus the need for finer gear has been reduced). Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs.
    On the thread What feeder rod for big fish I read about somebodys choice of the Cadence 13ft no.3 feeder rod for chub and barbel,now imo quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing...but that is me,it does not mean you CANT use one,anyway,sorry if ive gone off topic a bit...
    Sticking one line in about how people should be more accepting of alternate methods of fishing can't disguise the fact that the rest of your post is basically an intolerant rant about people using what you deem to be overly heavy gear.

Blog Entries

No Chris,my opinion only,more about my dislike of being overgunned really,imo its nice to be sporting,doesnt mean anybody else has to be,I dont like fishing leads over 3ozs,so dont fish venues where i would hsve too,I also dislike the barbel society basically criminalising anglers who fish less than 10lb line,as if its unacceptable not too,as a beginner that may be correct,but technique has a lot to do with playing fish as you know full well...

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    No Chris,my opinion only,more about my dislike of being overgunned really,imo its nice to be sporting,doesnt mean anybody else has to be,I dont like fishing leads over 3ozs,so dont fish venues where i would hsve too,I also dislike the barbel society basically criminalising anglers who fish less than 10lb line,as if its unacceptable not too,as a beginner that may be correct,but technique has a lot to do with playing fish as you know full well...

You can dislike doing something without effectively denouncing the practice, which is exactly what you've just done. I do very little but floatfish. I don't particularly like legering. The difference being that I don't just don't say much at all about legering, or those that choose to do it. I'm not trying to suggest that those that leger are crude and unskilled anglers. They just do something I don't particularly enjoy. So be it, I hope it makes them happy and brings them success.

I don't have a great deal of time for anyone that's prescriptive about methods, but it's hard to slate the Barbel Society for deeming less than 10lb line unacceptable whilst doing exactly the same yourself in reverse. Oh, and the idea that the BS has the power to criminalise anyone is really over egging the pudding.

You can choose to do whatever you like, provided it's legal. Rather than simply spouting hollow words about tolerance, how about actually allowing others the same latitude without adding your own judgmental comments, even if it is something you don't want to do. One thing is for sure, no amount of Barbel Society pontification can force you to follow their dogma.
    Last edited by sam vimes; 20-02-2020 at 10:26.

I'm sure we all like to use technique and light/er gear to play fish. But where people don't, there's no need to assume they are beginners, barbel police (ancient history?) or dummies who think they're boat fishing.

Even though I only fish for barbel a couple of dozen times a year, I've got a range of gear to cover the different places I fish. There are places where I can enjoy catching barbel and chub on a feeder rod with 8lb line to 6lb hooklength; the swim is spacious and more or less snag-free and you can apply your decades of fish-playing skill, admire the curve of your rod, the tick of your drag etc. Equally, I fish in swims where the rocks, trees and other snags make the 2lb Snag and Flood Chimera barbel rod and much heavier line I use the right, purpose-built tool for the job. Use the wrong gear and it's all over before you've begun to appreciate the fight. Nor is this for fishing big lumps of lead in floods - it can be for use under your feet in normal conditions.

I suppose I'm saying, give other anglers credit for using heavier gear when they, along with others with experience on their venues, have perfectly good reasons for it.

Blog Entries

And spout I will and they are not hollow words at all,seems you have read something in my post i cant see,hey-ho,I fish 10lb b.s. on waters where weed,snags,or very big fish are expected,but I also know of countless big barbel landed on 6-8lb,there are no golden rules in fishing,only opinions,some are right,some are wrong,some may be neither,how many big fish have you landed on line lighter than is preferred,no end i'd imagine,enjoy your fishing....
    Last edited by whitty; 20-02-2020 at 12:52.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nottskev View Post
    I'm sure we all like to use technique and light/er gear to play fish. But where people don't, there's no need to assume they are beginners, barbel police (ancient history?) or dummies who think they're boat fishing.

Even though I only fish for barbel a couple of dozen times a year, I've got a range of gear to cover the different places I fish. There are places where I can enjoy catching barbel and chub on a feeder rod with 8lb line to 6lb hooklength; the swim is spacious and more or less snag-free and you can apply your decades of fish-playing skill, admire the curve of your rod, the tick of your drag etc. Equally, I fish in swims where the rocks, trees and other snags make the 2lb Snag and Flood Chimera barbel rod and much heavier line I use the right, purpose-built tool for the job. Use the wrong gear and it's all over before you've begun to appreciate the fight. Nor is this for fishing big lumps of lead in floods - it can be for use under your feet in normal conditions.

I suppose I'm saying, give other anglers credit for using heavier gear when they, along with others with experience on their venues, have perfectly good reasons for it.
    Sorry Kev,it wasnt intended that people fishing heavy leads(as in boatcasting)were dummies,it WAS however meant that under no circumstances would I do it,its my own choice,I dont enjoy it,simples,that is why I would not fish the Trent and Severn in certain places and conditions,hope that is now understood,everybody can do that if they wish,it doesnt worry me at all...

Ledgering a lobworm in a fast stream by putting it on a size 4, 3g jighead. cast into flow and it rolls round until it sticks to the bottom. Chub and perch mainly but i have had the occasional dace and trout. Bites involved the rod going round, and deep hooking is extremely rare. You might think the fish don't want the weight touching the bait but in practice they simply don't care. I also like to think the worm looks more natural in the current than one flapping around anchored to a ledger. One of those methods where you sit perfectly still and the fish soon come to you. Great in the early summer when minnows and tiddlers rule out most other baits.

Alan, if you can't see the hypocrisy in your own post, then it's perhaps not worth the time in explaining it. Needless to say, your initial post comes across a bit like a teenager demanding "respec" whilst having zero respect for anyone else.

"it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting", "ignominy", "i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear", "quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing", do not in any way tie up with "Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs".

I don't particularly disagree with your ethos. To a significant extent, my fishing has gone down a similar road to yours. I simply fail to see how your words can possibly be interpreted as being accepting of others views and choices. They seem quite the opposite of that.

Having your own way of doing things is great, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. However, using that as a stick to beat other people with is a different matter entirely.

Blog Entries

I demand no respect and expect none,i just voiced how i prefer my fishing to be,if that is demeaning to others unlucky,the quote about crude gear is about roach,and i stand by that,a two pound roach on 10lb line is worthless imo,quivertips dont enter in my barbel fishing,do they in yours,BECAUSE ALL THOSE WERE IN RESPECT TO MY FISHING,NOT IN YOURS OR OTHERS,your points are lost as i am not saying that you shouldnt do these things,its my own guidelines for me alone,i accept others enjoy them,im not castigating someone using a light feeder rod for barbel or anything else,that wouldnt be my choice....

The capitals are not meant as shouting,but to stress the point...
    Last edited by whitty; 20-02-2020 at 15:23.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast