Using tackle how you like.

nottskev

Reaction score
Sorry Kev,it wasnt intended that people fishing heavy leads(as in boatcasting)were dummies,it WAS however meant that under no circumstances would I do it,its my own choice,I dont enjoy it,simples,that is why I would not fish the Trent and Severn in certain places and conditions,hope that is now understood,everybody can do that if they wish,it doesnt worry me at all...

I get that it's your choice not to fish in places where the barbel need gear at the heavy end of the spectrum. Personally, I used to like to fish for them, in this region, on the Dove, the Derwent and the Soar, with an an Avon rod etc. But the barbel fishing has pretty well dried up, apart from on the Trent, so that's where I, and others, go. I don't go for the long-stay carbelling approach. There are places where you can catch them on the float. Equally, there are places where you catch on a light bomb or a small feeder on the crease or in the edge - but you still need the rod and line to extract them. I'd like to have an Upper Lea-type option, but if you want to have some decent options reasonably local, you end up including hit and hold fishing with heavy gear as part of the mix because many of the places where barbel live are like that.

Reaction score
I can and have hit and held many barbel to 15lb on the Gt.Ouse,the Ivel the D.Stour,on 1.8/1.12 tc rods 10lb line,these rivers are often near sunken trees, dense weed or pokers,mostly fairly close quarters stuff,but lets be honest here 2.5lb tc rodsor heavier are generally bring used to fish heavy leads,plus fight fish with them on,your enjoyment of this is A /OK,i would stop fishing for barbel and do something else and have as my barbel fishing venues of choice have been ottered out...

Reaction score
Im going to apologise,I still cant see any wrong in the post,but thats because my minds eye reads it how I meant it,a wordsmith I am not,just an ex-metal basher im afraid,ive said this before the written word allows several different meanings at times.

I'm up this early because I woke at 3.30am with a sore back Kev will understand,AS having a niggle,ba$tard it is,cant lay there cos it just gets more painful,hey-ho,trotting tomorrow all being well...

Last edited:

mikench

Reaction score
I wondered why you were up so early Alan. You have not offended me and like me have learned that sometimes the words on the page are interpreted by the reader differently to how you intended when you collected your thoughts . Remember to put in some smiley faces and full stops and check after posting as my iPad has a mind of its own so I edit.

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm up this early because I woke at 3.30am with a sore back Kev will understand,AS having a niggle,ba$tard it is,cant lay there cos it just gets more painful,hey-ho,trotting tomorrow all being well...

If you got a positive diagnosis for AS, it's certainly true that keeping yourself and your joints moving is the best policy. But of course, the catch is that when it plays up, the last thing you want to do is move, much less do your exercises and stretches. Did you get any guidance on how to keep your joints mobile, or any referral to physio to get shown them? Funny you should mention the AS. I went to an osteopath for a look-over and a bit of treatment yesterday - with not being well for a while, I'd neglected the exercises etc, and soon lost a lot of the ribcage movement that lets you expand your chest to breathe properly. If they didn't advise you, it's worth going back and asking for some advice on "maintenance".

Reaction score
At the moment they are happy with me,but i need 6 monthly checks for deterioration,so no,no exercises as yet,but ive been told the things to be aware of....ive had three eye checks since my last problem,but it isnt related apparently...my GP however seems to have little knowledge,or interest in tne condition,which makes things difficult,he says its backache,or tennis elbow,or ivep pulled a muscle in my ribs etc,etc....

Last edited:

Graham55

Reaction score
There is a very old you tube video 'Heavy Trotting in winter for roach & chub' where the guy uses masonry nails to weight his line. He mentions it at about 5min 18 seconds into the video.

sam vimes

Reaction score
There is a very old you tube video 'Heavy Trotting in winter for roach & chub' where the guy uses masonry nails to weight his line. He mentions it at about 5min 18 seconds into the video.

I think the video might not be quite as old as you might think!