Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  26
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Using tackle how you like.

Rayners post in the pole or whip thread reminded me of an angler I saw hemp fishing years ago. He was certainly using tackle differently and how he like to.

As we all know bites on hemp can be like lightening. This angler struck and hit most bites by keeping the line straight to the float and instead of raising the rod to strike he jerked his arm backwards by sharply bending his elbow.

He certainly hit most bites. I have never tried it but if I can remember to I will this coming summer.

Any other stories about unconventional use of tackle.

Default Re: Using tackle how you like.

Funnily enough, what inspired my original post about Pole/Whip was seeing a guy (simple fishing) on YouTube who was using a light bomb on a whip, with bread flake, and pulling out all different sizes of Roach with ease. He knew it was very unorthodox but it worked, but he used the Whip in an almost Pole like fashion.

Was very interesting.

I’ve seen people using pole rigs on a rod and reel before to good success

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tommos16 View Post

I know a number of excellent river anglers who use a bolo' style pole float and an olivette with a few dropper shot for trotting.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

Quote Originally Posted by tommos16 View Post

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    That is something I do quite regularly. A pole float fished under a long rod preferably with a centre pin is a great way to tackle deeper water close in. Good for perch tench and carp.

I quite like using unconventional tackle/methods, or standard tackle/methods unconventionally. Being told that I shouldn't do something is a red rag to a bull. Being told that something doesn't, or shouldn't, work when I know that it does, is also fun.

I rarely use shot these days, olivettes do it for me. For several years, I've been using very short (typically 5") hooklengths in conjunction with mini/micro swivels when float fishing. I use long rods as often as not, even in situations than many think inappropriate. I don't use anything other than a centrepin when trotting. I float fish in situations that most would (sensibly) resort to legering. I'm prone to use floats that many believe inappropriate. Heavy Bolo floats for virtually all of my river trotting. That even came after a period of also trying various Cralusso floats. I've also got a bit of a penchant for the much maligned (unfairly in my view) Polaris floats and very large wagglers.

Don't know if this counts, it was one of six barbel caught one day last summer using a matchstick on a small river, yes it is an easy river before anyone says, but it was fun experimenting

Last edited by theartist; 18-02-2020 at 16:51.

I don’t use my whip in a conventional manner when fishing Stonar lake for the rudd. I use a pellet waggler method, constantly feeding and casting, I use a strong mainline with a decent sized float, slightly risky when carp are about. Not had any damage (yet), and it’s great fun and can be very rewarding.

sawmill grill castle hayne

Blog Entries

There are times when bites are really hard to come by so I will fish loose float ridiculously overdepth but will keep a tight line from rod end to hook along with a number eight or six shot close to it to register when the fish picks up a bait that registers a small lift before going under or just sinking out of sight!
    It's usually when conditions on a stillwater are really bad particularly when the water is highly coloured.

Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
    Blog Entries

I have used method feeders on the pole, both on commercials and a canal, The commercial was when it was windy and some drizzle, making presentation hardbetween the stick ups and mud line on far bank, so on went a method feeder and dibber for a marker , I won the match, The canal again was up to far side stick ups, the fish wanted a static bait, easy enough until lock gates opened, so similar set up to commercial but a smaller feeder and hook, again I won the match,
    Another time I fished a 2gram float in the margins to hold bait steady due to a lighter one being wafted about, I noticed that Maver have brought out small inline bombs, approx the weight of heavy olivettes, this must be due to a lot of anglers using olivettes on a feeder rod when wanting hardly any disturbance when they hit the water, in fact they sound like a pellet when they land, we have used olivettes and then fired a few hard pellets over the top when using banded pellet as bait.

Surely it's more enjoyable to do your own thing than just follow the crowd? You learn more and begin to better understand why (or not!) something works. This attitude applies to tackle, rigs and baits. I feel that the topic least covered or thought about is how to and when to feed a swim - and how much bait or groundbait to use?

A lot of my stuff and bait is homemade, it looks a bit scruffy but I catch my fair share. Nothing wrong with being unconventional.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast