Using tackle how you like.

john step

Reaction score
Rayners post in the pole or whip thread reminded me of an angler I saw hemp fishing years ago. He was certainly using tackle differently and how he like to.

As we all know bites on hemp can be like lightening. This angler struck and hit most bites by keeping the line straight to the float and instead of raising the rod to strike he jerked his arm backwards by sharply bending his elbow.

He certainly hit most bites. I have never tried it but if I can remember to I will this coming summer.

Any other stories about unconventional use of tackle.

tommos16

Reaction score
Funnily enough, what inspired my original post about Pole/Whip was seeing a guy (simple fishing) on YouTube who was using a light bomb on a whip, with bread flake, and pulling out all different sizes of Roach with ease. He knew it was very unorthodox but it worked, but he used the Whip in an almost Pole like fashion.

Was very interesting.

I’ve seen people using pole rigs on a rod and reel before to good success

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

john step

Reaction score
I’ve seen people using pole rigs on a rod and reel before to good success

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is something I do quite regularly. A pole float fished under a long rod preferably with a centre pin is a great way to tackle deeper water close in. Good for perch tench and carp.

sam vimes

Reaction score
I quite like using unconventional tackle/methods, or standard tackle/methods unconventionally. Being told that I shouldn't do something is a red rag to a bull. Being told that something doesn't, or shouldn't, work when I know that it does, is also fun.

I rarely use shot these days, olivettes do it for me. For several years, I've been using very short (typically 5") hooklengths in conjunction with mini/micro swivels when float fishing. I use long rods as often as not, even in situations than many think inappropriate. I don't use anything other than a centrepin when trotting. I float fish in situations that most would (sensibly) resort to legering. I'm prone to use floats that many believe inappropriate. Heavy Bolo floats for virtually all of my river trotting. That even came after a period of also trying various Cralusso floats. I've also got a bit of a penchant for the much maligned (unfairly in my view) Polaris floats and very large wagglers.

theartist

Reaction score
Don't know if this counts, it was one of six barbel caught one day last summer using a matchstick on a small river, yes it is an easy river before anyone says, but it was fun experimenting

Last edited:

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don’t use my whip in a conventional manner when fishing Stonar lake for the rudd. I use a pellet waggler method, constantly feeding and casting, I use a strong mainline with a decent sized float, slightly risky when carp are about. Not had any damage (yet), and it’s great fun and can be very rewarding.

sawmill grill castle hayne

flightliner

Reaction score
There are times when bites are really hard to come by so I will fish loose float ridiculously overdepth but will keep a tight line from rod end to hook along with a number eight or six shot close to it to register when the fish picks up a bait that registers a small lift before going under or just sinking out of sight!
It's usually when conditions on a stillwater are really bad particularly when the water is highly coloured.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have used method feeders on the pole, both on commercials and a canal, The commercial was when it was windy and some drizzle, making presentation hardbetween the stick ups and mud line on far bank, so on went a method feeder and dibber for a marker , I won the match, The canal again was up to far side stick ups, the fish wanted a static bait, easy enough until lock gates opened, so similar set up to commercial but a smaller feeder and hook, again I won the match,
Another time I fished a 2gram float in the margins to hold bait steady due to a lighter one being wafted about, I noticed that Maver have brought out small inline bombs, approx the weight of heavy olivettes, this must be due to a lot of anglers using olivettes on a feeder rod when wanting hardly any disturbance when they hit the water, in fact they sound like a pellet when they land, we have used olivettes and then fired a few hard pellets over the top when using banded pellet as bait.

peterjg

Reaction score
Surely it's more enjoyable to do your own thing than just follow the crowd? You learn more and begin to better understand why (or not!) something works. This attitude applies to tackle, rigs and baits. I feel that the topic least covered or thought about is how to and when to feed a swim - and how much bait or groundbait to use?

A lot of my stuff and bait is homemade, it looks a bit scruffy but I catch my fair share. Nothing wrong with being unconventional.

Reaction score
I find it quite amusing how people get wound up over other peoples choices,particularly on rods,one angler uses an Avon for barbel,another thinks its too soft,etc,etc,yet it makes no difference,people use what they choose,or should,its just an opinion,to me fishing is for fun,sport,whatever,the lighter the gear the more fun/sport there is,but and its a big but,not to the extent loads of fish are lost,I will not ever use a rod over 1lb 12oz test curve for barbel,period,full stop,but I wouldnt fish 20yds plus out in 8ft of floodwater either,or fish 8ozs of lead to hold bottom,others can and do,to me it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting,I sat yesterday contemplating the ignominy of hooking a 2lb plus roach on barbel gear,yuk,i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear,Rob(the Artist)was fishing 3.5lb hooklink,that is relatively heavy for roach,but very light for barbel(and before Rob brings it up,I agree lines today are much finer thus the need for finer gear has been reduced). Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs.
On the thread What feeder rod for big fish I read about somebodys choice of the Cadence 13ft no.3 feeder rod for chub and barbel,now imo quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing...but that is me,it does not mean you CANT use one,anyway,sorry if ive gone off topic a bit...

sam vimes

Reaction score
I find it quite amusing how people get wound up over other peoples choices,particularly on rods,one angler uses an Avon for barbel,another thinks its too soft,etc,etc,yet it makes no difference,people use what they choose,or should,its just an opinion,to me fishing is for fun,sport,whatever,the lighter the gear the more fun/sport there is,but and its a big but,not to the extent loads of fish are lost,I will not ever use a rod over 1lb 12oz test curve for barbel,period,full stop,but I wouldnt fish 20yds plus out in 8ft of floodwater either,or fish 8ozs of lead to hold bottom,others can and do,to me it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting,I sat yesterday contemplating the ignominy of hooking a 2lb plus roach on barbel gear,yuk,i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear,Rob(the Artist)was fishing 3.5lb hooklink,that is relatively heavy for roach,but very light for barbel(and before Rob brings it up,I agree lines today are much finer thus the need for finer gear has been reduced). Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs.
On the thread What feeder rod for big fish I read about somebodys choice of the Cadence 13ft no.3 feeder rod for chub and barbel,now imo quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing...but that is me,it does not mean you CANT use one,anyway,sorry if ive gone off topic a bit...

Sticking one line in about how people should be more accepting of alternate methods of fishing can't disguise the fact that the rest of your post is basically an intolerant rant about people using what you deem to be overly heavy gear.

Reaction score
No Chris,my opinion only,more about my dislike of being overgunned really,imo its nice to be sporting,doesnt mean anybody else has to be,I dont like fishing leads over 3ozs,so dont fish venues where i would hsve too,I also dislike the barbel society basically criminalising anglers who fish less than 10lb line,as if its unacceptable not too,as a beginner that may be correct,but technique has a lot to do with playing fish as you know full well...

sam vimes

Reaction score
No Chris,my opinion only,more about my dislike of being overgunned really,imo its nice to be sporting,doesnt mean anybody else has to be,I dont like fishing leads over 3ozs,so dont fish venues where i would hsve too,I also dislike the barbel society basically criminalising anglers who fish less than 10lb line,as if its unacceptable not too,as a beginner that may be correct,but technique has a lot to do with playing fish as you know full well...

You can dislike doing something without effectively denouncing the practice, which is exactly what you've just done. I do very little but floatfish. I don't particularly like legering. The difference being that I don't just don't say much at all about legering, or those that choose to do it. I'm not trying to suggest that those that leger are crude and unskilled anglers. They just do something I don't particularly enjoy. So be it, I hope it makes them happy and brings them success.

I don't have a great deal of time for anyone that's prescriptive about methods, but it's hard to slate the Barbel Society for deeming less than 10lb line unacceptable whilst doing exactly the same yourself in reverse. Oh, and the idea that the BS has the power to criminalise anyone is really over egging the pudding.

You can choose to do whatever you like, provided it's legal. Rather than simply spouting hollow words about tolerance, how about actually allowing others the same latitude without adding your own judgmental comments, even if it is something you don't want to do. One thing is for sure, no amount of Barbel Society pontification can force you to follow their dogma.

Last edited:

nottskev

Reaction score
I'm sure we all like to use technique and light/er gear to play fish. But where people don't, there's no need to assume they are beginners, barbel police (ancient history?) or dummies who think they're boat fishing.

Even though I only fish for barbel a couple of dozen times a year, I've got a range of gear to cover the different places I fish. There are places where I can enjoy catching barbel and chub on a feeder rod with 8lb line to 6lb hooklength; the swim is spacious and more or less snag-free and you can apply your decades of fish-playing skill, admire the curve of your rod, the tick of your drag etc. Equally, I fish in swims where the rocks, trees and other snags make the 2lb Snag and Flood Chimera barbel rod and much heavier line I use the right, purpose-built tool for the job. Use the wrong gear and it's all over before you've begun to appreciate the fight. Nor is this for fishing big lumps of lead in floods - it can be for use under your feet in normal conditions.

I suppose I'm saying, give other anglers credit for using heavier gear when they, along with others with experience on their venues, have perfectly good reasons for it.

Reaction score
And spout I will and they are not hollow words at all,seems you have read something in my post i cant see,hey-ho,I fish 10lb b.s. on waters where weed,snags,or very big fish are expected,but I also know of countless big barbel landed on 6-8lb,there are no golden rules in fishing,only opinions,some are right,some are wrong,some may be neither,how many big fish have you landed on line lighter than is preferred,no end i'd imagine,enjoy your fishing....

Last edited:

Reaction score
I'm sure we all like to use technique and light/er gear to play fish. But where people don't, there's no need to assume they are beginners, barbel police (ancient history?) or dummies who think they're boat fishing.

Even though I only fish for barbel a couple of dozen times a year, I've got a range of gear to cover the different places I fish. There are places where I can enjoy catching barbel and chub on a feeder rod with 8lb line to 6lb hooklength; the swim is spacious and more or less snag-free and you can apply your decades of fish-playing skill, admire the curve of your rod, the tick of your drag etc. Equally, I fish in swims where the rocks, trees and other snags make the 2lb Snag and Flood Chimera barbel rod and much heavier line I use the right, purpose-built tool for the job. Use the wrong gear and it's all over before you've begun to appreciate the fight. Nor is this for fishing big lumps of lead in floods - it can be for use under your feet in normal conditions.

I suppose I'm saying, give other anglers credit for using heavier gear when they, along with others with experience on their venues, have perfectly good reasons for it.

Sorry Kev,it wasnt intended that people fishing heavy leads(as in boatcasting)were dummies,it WAS however meant that under no circumstances would I do it,its my own choice,I dont enjoy it,simples,that is why I would not fish the Trent and Severn in certain places and conditions,hope that is now understood,everybody can do that if they wish,it doesnt worry me at all...

Another Dave

Reaction score
Ledgering a lobworm in a fast stream by putting it on a size 4, 3g jighead. cast into flow and it rolls round until it sticks to the bottom. Chub and perch mainly but i have had the occasional dace and trout. Bites involved the rod going round, and deep hooking is extremely rare. You might think the fish don't want the weight touching the bait but in practice they simply don't care. I also like to think the worm looks more natural in the current than one flapping around anchored to a ledger. One of those methods where you sit perfectly still and the fish soon come to you. Great in the early summer when minnows and tiddlers rule out most other baits.

sam vimes

Reaction score
Alan, if you can't see the hypocrisy in your own post, then it's perhaps not worth the time in explaining it. Needless to say, your initial post comes across a bit like a teenager demanding "respec" whilst having zero respect for anyone else.

"it isnt barbel fishing,its boat casting", "ignominy", "i'd feel ashamed to catch one on such crude gear", "quivertips have little or no place in barbel fishing", do not in any way tie up with "Please lets try to be more acceptant of others views,or choices concerning tackle requirements for certain jobs".

I don't particularly disagree with your ethos. To a significant extent, my fishing has gone down a similar road to yours. I simply fail to see how your words can possibly be interpreted as being accepting of others views and choices. They seem quite the opposite of that.

Having your own way of doing things is great, there are plenty of ways to skin a cat. However, using that as a stick to beat other people with is a different matter entirely.

Reaction score
I demand no respect and expect none,i just voiced how i prefer my fishing to be,if that is demeaning to others unlucky,the quote about crude gear is about roach,and i stand by that,a two pound roach on 10lb line is worthless imo,quivertips dont enter in my barbel fishing,do they in yours,BECAUSE ALL THOSE WERE IN RESPECT TO MY FISHING,NOT IN YOURS OR OTHERS,your points are lost as i am not saying that you shouldnt do these things,its my own guidelines for me alone,i accept others enjoy them,im not castigating someone using a light feeder rod for barbel or anything else,that wouldnt be my choice....

The capitals are not meant as shouting,but to stress the point...

Last edited: