what line for river trotting?

John Wood 8

Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a decent line for general river trotting? I want to use it on a centrepin. I have loads of Ultima Power Steel,Power Plus and power match but not sure if they're suitable.

Reaction score
Dunno if the above are suitable - never used them myself.

But, the drennan floatfish line, has been great for me, never had a problem with it. A Little bit of grease, and it does a beautiful job, of traveling downstream.

(?2.99 for 100m)

RYan

marie marling

Reaction score
john try a line floatant spray then you can use the line you have already got hope this helps you /forum/smilies/smile_smiley.gif.

Reaction score
research Says, that power plus will be no good, as its designed to sink. Power steel, will probably be the same, but power match would be ok, as marie says, line floating spray will work, although fry fisherman's grease will be cheaper. If you just want to try it out, wiping your finger over your forehead, or back of ear then on the line will help it float.

Ryan

S-Kippy

Reaction score
Stuck on the chuffin M25 somewhere between Heathro
I've used Drennan Floatfish for years but I saw some Sufix Primo XP & thought I'd give that a go on my pin.So far I'm pretty impressed.Well behaved,floats well,comes in green or clear and pretty good value too.

Worth a look.

/www.gardnertackle.co.uk/catalog/product_info.php/pName/sufix-primo-xp

Beecy

Reaction score
another vote for Drennan floatfish here ( or bayer perlon, which it is said is the same stuff)

Maxima for the waggler

Keith M

Reaction score
I have changed from Drennanfloatfish (which is good) to Ultima Flo-Castwhich is brilliant for trotting, it floats high in the water (being hollow) casts further (see link)is a great colour (can't see it from below but it stands out more from above) is veryreliable and the diameter is not bad either (5lb - 0.2mm). And its also great for floater fishingfor Carp.

I use normal sinking hooklengths though.

It was recomended by 'chavender' in another thread.

The only problem is because it is fairly new in britain only a few shops stock it at present and I have to either travel up to Biggleswade (Walkers Pitch) or order it off the web.

Red Army

Reaction score
If you have difficulties finding some Ultima Flo-Cast ask Terry Rout at www.carp1.com (01708 456 529) they have all bs and spool sizes in stock. p&p is a bit high though if you only need a spool or two.

mastercaster

Reaction score
Power plus is great for feeder fishing but i would'nt use it on a centrepin, i personallyuse 50 -70 yards of drennen floatfish and it works wonderfully. Remember not to overload your drum as to much line can stop it peeling off properly causing poor presentation.

Maggie

Reaction score
No I wouldn't use Power Plus on the pin either but Flo-Cast is brilliant it was recommended to me by chavender. you couldn't make it sink even if you used washing up liquid and fullers earth it will still float well and mending your line with it is a doddle, even for me.

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
Have to agree with the flo-cast advice.

Its only downfall that I have come across is that when pulled from a snag it tends to go curly, pig-tailed, from the reel to the hook. On a pin with short lengths (50 yds) you soon find you need to change your line as it gets shorter.

Link to my original review of Flo-Cast /forum/smilies/wink_smiley.gif

Ray Daywalker Clarke

Reaction score
The problem with all floating line's is that at some point they will take in water and start to sink. You wont notice the line sinking, it's a slow build up over time.

I take my reels in to the warm to help dry the line, but dont put them near direct heat. Line spray is ok, but I use Muslin grease, best stuff by far.

Jon Jagger

Reaction score
If it (flo cast) floats very well does it have a tendency to lift off the water if its windy? Dave Thomas uses maxima for his stick float fishing because he liked a bit of weight in the line for this reason!

chavender

Reaction score
Ilkeston ,derbyshire ,great britain ,earth ,The un
i've used flo-cast in sub zero conditions and its not exploded yet /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif,i have had it split open like a peeled bananna after pulling for a break (on the one time i didn't use a hook length) ,but its going to break under these conditions just cut a ft off above the break & carried on .not too bothered by the length being deminished as i've got the bulk spools and i generally use about 70m or so a time.

it casts a dream & hugs the surface ,not had it blown off the top of the water yet ,but it does lift off with ease .

e-bay is the easiest place to find it .

i'll be testing out ultima's new power steel line on my pins on a forth comming trip to barton caurt on the kennet .

Grumpy Git @

Reaction score
It's just a shame that they dont make Flo-Cast in a sub 5lb strength. I contacted the manufacturers and was informed that because of the way it's made 5lb is the smallest size they can create............. shame. The line sits so well on the surface it's like watching a fly line and that makes me think it must be visible to the fish but who knows?

EDIT: A quick look on ebay reveals that the buggers are now making it in 4lb /forum/smilies/big_smile_smiley.gif