Cinnamon

sylvanillo

Reaction score
Earlier today I could again see how cinnamon can boost a groundbait (in this case, liquidised bread, when fishing for roach). Last summer, I had read a page somewhere on bream fishing that listed it as a top addon; I tried in belgium and it made such a difference. Also had many barbel.

I got mine from Aldi for about 40p I think.

Do you use it? When? For which species? In what quantity?

It has seemed to me that it must be added in much larger quantity compared to other species such as turmeric, cumin, ginger. I don't really know if there's any recommendation on the % to use, and depending on the season or water temperature :confused:

theartist

Reaction score
Never used cinnamon but have a spice/herb mix that I vary for the species, this is just dusted on the maggots rather than any groundbait, I've found that adjusting various quantities of each flavour works slightly different for each species even though they all like the base mix. It is of course a work in progress and one which will never be completed, I'll try adding a bit of cinnamon now, nice one, keep experimenting but remember which flavours work and in what quantities as it's also quite easy to overdo one.

I would imagine its safe to use in reasonable quantities like any other bait

sam vimes

Reaction score
I've never heard of cinnamon being used as a bait additive. That's not to say that I doubt someone will have tried it though. I remember my own adolescent bait making efforts. Almost anything to be found in the kitchen cupboards was fair game.

rayner

Reaction score
I used to mix cinnamon 50/50 with Tumeric and sprinkle it on maggots when fishing the Tidal Trent, mostly for a degreaser. It used to be just turmeric but I didn't like the smell too much. The smell wouldn't be noticed if I could keep my hands away from my face.
Can't say the scent from the mix caught any more fish, maggots sank OK though.

theartist

Reaction score
I used to mix cinnamon 50/50 with Tumeric and sprinkle it on maggots when fishing the Tidal Trent, mostly for a degreaser. It used to be just turmeric but I didn't like the smell too much. The smell wouldn't be noticed if I could keep my hands away from my face.
Can't say the scent from the mix caught any more fish, maggots sank OK though.

It probably doesn't but as you say it does degrease them, plus it takes away the smell of amonia. I get covered in orange dust sometimes, one time I had a big orange mark on the bridge of my nose where I was adjusting my glasses all day, I sure got some funny looks going past a vegan restaurant on the canal looking like a hare krishna with a fishing rod

Reaction score
I wondered why you were that colour...

theartist

Reaction score
I wondered why you were that colour...

It's supposed to be good for you turmeric, admittedly you are suppose to eat it but you should see my complexion, I'm no i'm not all that but I don't think I look bad for 72 :D

Ray Roberts

Reaction score
Sweaty face plus turmeric dusted bait, get the Donald Trump look for free.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no-one in particular

Reaction score
Years ago I tried some bread pudding in a commercial, it proved deadly for the bait wary carp and a few other species at times. I started taking it for a bite to eat but after trying it on the hook I always bought an extra slice for the hook. By the taste of it I think it was quite heavily laced with cinnamon. I don't know if that was why it worked so well but very likely one of the reasons. Or it could have been all the sultanas and currents or the sugary coating but cinnamon was a predominant flavor and smell.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I have used it for a few years , also ideal if maggots going off , give them a coating of it, shake bait box and sorted, I coat luncheon meat cubes with it as well, freeze then lift out morning of fishing trip.
Other additives used are coffee powder , camp coffee, and cocoa or hot chocolate powder, not at same time though. Nesquick is another additive i have used, Best one for bream was " Knorr marinade in minutes" this is a granular seasoning for using with bbqs, Smelt like Archie Braddocks Winter Mix, not seen it for a long time though

trotter2

Reaction score
Caught loads of fish on malt loaf can't say its better than bread but works, had chub,roach, and some big tench on it.
Turmeric I am convinced grayling don't like it on your maggots.

no-one in particular

Reaction score
I had a fantastic day once on a river with garlic cheese, I had bought this ready garlic-ed and I caught loads of fish, roach, bream, chub and even a couple of tench. I tried it again a couple of times and it just proved to be ordinary. That's the trouble with flavors/additives, do they really add anything or is it just luck.
However, one additive I determined did really work was bakers yeast on maggots, mixed into a little fermenting solution and put in a box of maggots, I had loads of fish, broke my record for most fish on one river by a long chalk. I tried this several times on a couple of venues I fished a lot, so I knew the general catch rate and it always gave me a better result by far. But, it was all very small fish so I sort of gave it up and went back to my usual, bread and sweetcorn. And the eel problem and also watch for sticky maggots crawling out of the box.
The other one but it may be a commercial thing, is salmon or shrimp paste mixed with flour, proved to be pretty deadly on one commercial for carp.
I hear aniseed is supposed be a great flavour roach but never tried it and keep meaning to try some flavouring when sea fishing, lug oil for instance but never seem to get round to it.

Last edited:

rayner

Reaction score
I always steered myself away from flavours, on occasion I couldn't resist. One I used to use in cold weather was Archie Braddocks, I've been trying to remember the name. I remember it was spicey but nothing else. I had good and bad days, results I classed as inconclusive.
Over the last couple of seasons, I've had the idea of using Dynamite Baits pellet soak, mostly Krill flavour. It certainly hasn't adversely affected my efforts.

Last season I thought the pellet soak was OK but I had the idea I could make a better job myself, I at least could try. I have got a soak and a dip of the same flavour. If nothing else it's cheaper.
The extra sweet one I mixed is still in progress, results weren't noticeably a waste of time, fish didn't appear to back off from my feeder so all in all, it could be worth the effort.

markcw

Exiled Northerner
Reaction score
Oxford, and occasionally Warrington Lancs
I always steered myself away from flavours, on occasion I couldn't resist. One I used to use in cold weather was Archie Braddocks, I've been trying to remember the name. I remember it was spicey but nothing else. I had good and bad days, results I classed as inconclusive.
Over the last couple of seasons, I've had the idea of using Dynamite Baits pellet soak, mostly Krill flavour. It certainly hasn't adversely affected my efforts.

Last season I thought the pellet soak was OK but I had the idea I could make a better job myself, I at least could try. I have got a soak and a dip of the same flavour. If nothing else it's cheaper.
The extra sweet one I mixed is still in progress, results weren't noticeably a waste of time, fish didn't appear to back off from my feeder so all in all, it could be worth the effort.

Archie Braddocks did a winter spicy smelling one called Winter Mix

David Rogers 3

Reaction score
I hear aniseed is supposed be a great flavour roach but never tried it

I bought some Polly's Punch Crumb recently, to use in conjunction with bread baits on the canal. It's supposed to have a "hint" of aniseed, but to my nose it absolutely reeks of it! I've not used it sufficiently yet to form any opinion on its effectiveness, but I can't say I'm impressed so far.

rich66

Reaction score
Never tried Cinnamon but I’ve used turmeric on maggots not impressed with the results so far.
Things I’ve tried are:

Almond essence on maggots not sure about that didn’t really inspire much confidence & I don’t think it changed catch rate/ bite frequency

Sticky baits powdered krill on live and dead maggots I do think that improved the catch rate.

Laguna’s SAC juice the cheese one that has changed a blank to a catch day, I put a small squeeze in my groundbait for feeder fishing

Nash monster crab liquid has worked well on the hybrid feeder a few drops direct onto the pellets/hookbait once loaded has caught me a few carp while everyone else is not catching.

nottskev

Reaction score
I've not tried cinnamon on my bait. But I have had some success sprinkling Supercup on my porridge. Some women, by the way, think that cinnamon makes their vaginas tighter. Really.

peterjg

Reaction score
I bought some Polly's Punch Crumb recently, to use in conjunction with bread baits on the canal. It's supposed to have a "hint" of aniseed, but to my nose it absolutely reeks of it! I've not used it sufficiently yet to form any opinion on its effectiveness, but I can't say I'm impressed so far.

You have hit the nail on the head! The problem with lots of flavours that can and do actually work is identifying the amount of flavour to add.

With flavours there are others factors to be considered: some are based on spirit, oil or water based. So different makes labelled for instance aniseed will need different amounts. It can be so hit and miss and time consuming to actually prove.

As for cinnamon, I have tried it for roach with mediocre results, there are definitely better flavours available.

rayner

Reaction score
Archie Braddocks did a winter spicy smelling one called Winter Mix

I don't recall Winter mix Mark, I remember the spicey flavour I used had hot in the name.
Flavours, I reckon with the number of flavours used on fisheries namely commercials fish have a certain liking for them. I'm certainly using more and more. For me, the only exemption is worm and caster, all other baits I use are fair game.
One tip I stick to, only flavour a little for a sample, if the fish refuse it not too much bait is lost. I've gone from ignoring flavours to actively searching for my own mixes rather than trying shop bought.
One bought product I was using last year was SAC juice, I squirted it on my loaded hybrid feeder to great effect.
The only fault I have with my own efforts is it's how long they last, it's a bit of a bind mixing tiny batches because it just doesn't last in the bottle for more than a few days.