Rod length.

dicky123

Reaction score
What rod length would make a perfect float silver rod. I'm talking about commercial silvers, crucians, slow canals and ponds.

I'm trying to talk myself into a new 11' rod for smaller fish, and the odd F1 maybe?

I've been using a little feeder rod on the river 9' with nice fine 1oz tips. Had some big chub, but even the little fish pull a bit, hence why I like the size for the river. 4lb main line 3lb bottom. On the commercials I can go lower, but would like a float rod under 13'. The Acolyte ultra is calling to be honest!! Sad muppet that I am?

I should say there is another summer method I'm looking to try. The sliding float (Cadence You-Tube) it looks just my cup of tea to be honest. Take a look guys summer is coming honest.

Cheers. Rich.

trotter2

Reaction score
I have the 11ft and it's great.
If you fancy a new rod go for it why not.

sam vimes

Reaction score
The length of a rod should have very little to do with the intended quarry. If you want a rod for silvers, pick a rod primarily for the action with the length as a secondary consideration. The choice of length of float rod should be about the depth of water in front of you, the method being used and the encroaching flora.

On still waters, I'd suggest that many will pick as short as they can get away with, largely dictated by the depth and distance they are fishing.

When trotting, I prefer to use as long a rod as is feasible (up to 17'). The depth of water has little bearing on my choice. However, really deep water will dictate that either longer rods or sliding floats are used. For a variety of reasons, plenty of people will never use a rod longer than 14'.

For me, the 11' Acolyte Ultra is a rod for shorter chucks relatively shallow stillwaters and trotting on very small rivers and becks. I'd be happy to use it on a canal if I ever fished one. At 11' it's pretty niche tool for me. However, if you are fishing small ponds, canals and small rivers/becks more regularly than I do, you may get more use out of such a rod.

nottskev

Reaction score
You've mentioned it would be used on a variety of waters. The shorter rods are well adapted to commercial type fishing, where the banks are often as featureless as the sides of a swimming pool, but feel a bit unnecessarily short to me for waters that have a bit more character in the margins. I bought a Matchpro Ultralight 11' a good while back, for the type of fishing you mention. Nice as it is, I've barely used it and I find I use a 12' rod for all those places where you're fishing say 2-6' deep and not too far out. There's very little difference in weight or handling, and it casts and picks up better if you want to fish further out, and is a bit better for fishing over marginal stuff. That said, plenty of people like short float rods and it's a matter of preference in the end.

Reaction score
A guy fishing on the stretch ive just joined had an 11ft Cadence no.1 rod,it was very thin at the butt and feeling the action would be great fun,he had a chub around 3lb 8ozs,the price is pretty good too...

Tree123

Reaction score

Chub1960

Reaction score
I would say 12ft to 13ft I am fan of Drennan rods but other makes are available. I really like my 12ft 9'' Drennan Puddle Chucker pretty much can handle everything with in reason of course

Paste paul

Reaction score
It sounds like you’re fishing shallow to medium water and not chucking too far so 11’ sounds Bob on to me !