I'm painting some quiver tips?

dicky123

Reaction score
Anyone suggest a good white base paint please? Someone mentioned tippex, but as that's not permanent is it better to use a proper base coat?

Paste paul

Reaction score
Anyone suggest a good white base paint please? Someone mentioned tippex, but as that's not permanent is it better to use a proper base coat?

You can use Umbro enamel paints which are good for quiver tips and floats..... they do small tins and it’s relatively cheap..... they also do a white base coat.

xenon

Reaction score
For what it's worth I use PTFE tape-bright enough, dirt cheap and can be stripped back if the light changes.

peter crabtree

AKA Simon, 1953 - 2022 (RIP)
Reaction score
Surely on an 11’ rod you can see the tip move without painting it?
I’d use tape if it was a problem, paint will crack eventually and ruin the tips.

Aknib

Reaction score
For what it's worth I use PTFE tape-bright enough, dirt cheap and can be stripped back if the light changes.

I reckon that's a great idea, very versatile.

If you do insist on paint I know the acrylic artist paints recently linked to in your float making thread are flexible, I've used 'em on fine quill and bent 'em back and forth without cracking but I don't know how it would fare on carbon or glass, I reckon you'd be alright but better for a coat or two of lexible varnish on top.

Would you be as well fitting one of those starlight or isotope holders and instead of fitting the starlight/isotope just slot a solid colour tip in such as these...

Solid Tips - Keiths Fishing Tackle

Korum Starlight Holder For Night Fishing | eBay

dicky123

Reaction score
Surely on an 11’ rod you can see the tip move without painting it?
I’d use tape if it was a problem, paint will crack eventually and ruin the tips.

No Peter, terrible eyes nowadays sadly. I've just brought some Topper floats and the paint on them is amazing, I can see the tips 30/40 yards down stream. Xenon where do you get the tape from out of interest?

dicky123

Reaction score
Thinking about it I may try and buy some fly tying thread and whip it on, very need and I can varnish after?

tigger

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I think i'd mask off the guides etc and use car spray paint.

john step

Reaction score
I have re painted my tips on my old Shakey Wand. I used Humbrol acrylic white undercoat and fluorescent orange top coat cos thats what I bought to make pike floats. Worked a treat.

dicky123

Reaction score
I have re painted my tips on my old Shakey Wand. I used Humbrol acrylic white undercoat and fluorescent orange top coat cos thats what I bought to make pike floats. Worked a treat.

The rods turned up and it's magnificent. However the tip are so, so fine, never had quivers as fine as these. Painting will be very difficult for hams thumbs like me. I'll try thread fist though.

Thanks Guys.

Jeff Woodhouse

Moaning Marlow Meldrew
Reaction score
Look on ebay for Revell model paint; you can get the fluoro colours too. Some artist's acrylics don't last too well, I used some on a float and it started rubbing off when in use.

sylvanillo

Reaction score
If it is useful... I have painted the tips of different feeder rods with this: KOBRA HP neon paint yellow.
Kobra HP Spray Paint - Fluorescent Colours
Spraying thin layers worked way better compared to using a brush with another neon paint that came from the craft shop.
I didn't need any varnish, the colour has stayed on despite of the rain, or keeping the tips under water.

GT56

Reaction score
I remember reading somewhere that white quiver tips were easier to see and decided to change over a push in tip and as already suggested, I used PTFE tape.
Cutting the tape at an angle then wrapping the tip as tightly as possible in a spiral pattern.
Obviously it can be a bit fiddly but with one roll of PTFE you have virtually an endless supply of tape and easily removed if you end up making a few attempts.
Probably not necessary but I then lightly covered with an external aerosol varnish spray.
The varnish spray slightly melted/fused the tape, with the finished job looking perfect.
I want to say I saw every knock and twitch on the tip, never missing a bite but that would be far from true!
However, I did feel especially in poor light conditions a white tip can stand out more.