Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dace

Default Re: Dace

There are some big dace in the Kennet but not big shoals of them.

Blog Entries

Dace have come back on the Gt.Ouse up and downstream of Bedford,size isnt particularly good mind,on the Lea,dace numbers dont seem good,mainly because cormorants have found the upper river and roach and dace are prime grub...

Before the black death dace stocks were phenomenal in my local rivers; I grew up catching big bags of dace on the Frome and Piddle with the upstream migrations from the lower tidal reaches forming huge winter shoals, similar to those of the tidal Stour from Christchurch Harbour, and catches of 30lbs were nothing unusual (I had 550 in a match catch on the Stour one day). The middle Stour at Blandford and Wimborne were similarly prolific, as was the Hants. Avon. There are still dace around but I doubt I totalled 20 this winter, still get a few small ones when summer roach fishing.

The challenge years ago was finding out how to catch roach from amongst the dace when pleasure fishing, bread was part of the answer though I have had 20lb catches of dace on bread punch.

Blog Entries

There are still few decent dace swims on the Hampshire Avon around Downton, typically in the 10 to 14 ounce range.

Trotting for dace on a summer evening used to be lovely eay to spend a few hours.

A good few years ago I took a lady member from FM onto the Hale syndicate to show her how to "dap for dace" using a dapping floss line and a few small dry flies.

Dapping is largely a "dead art these days but worth a try if you ever want something different . . . . a long rod around 15 feet and a dapping floss line which is pretty cheap and a few flies . . . all you need.

Scholars have long known that fishing eventually turns men into philosophers.

Unfortunately, it is almost impossible to buy decent tackle on a philosopher's salary. ~

Patrick F. McManus

As the OP wrote, there's plenty in the Trent but they tend to be on the small side. The Wye, on the other hand seems to have loads of a good average size with plenty of 10oz fish and some bigger regularly showing.

In the 70s the dace fishing on the tidal Thames was amazing. Richmond was the place to head for with free car parking at Ham.
    Then they disappeared when the black death appeared.

Dace are very plentiful on my local stretch. They're also very prominent up the smaller tributaries.

Plenty of dace in the local streams and rivers here just a short walk away but not to 'specimen' size averaging out at around 5/7oz - to catch anything over 8oz it's a 20 minute car ride to the Gt Ouse. In years gone by the Kennet was my go to dace river with a real prospect of catching a 1lb'er or three during a season - even had a 1'er out of the Colne in the early 70's. My go to dace rod these days for consistently hitting them is the Accy Ultra too.................

The good thing about dace swims is, once you've found them, you can usually guarantee they will stay there 'til at least early November.
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Quote Originally Posted by john step View Post
    In the 70s the dace fishing on the tidal Thames was amazing. Richmond was the place to head for with free car parking at Ham.
    Then they disappeared when the black death appeared.
    During the big fish raw sewage kill a few years ago in the tidal Thames my son showed me pictures of dead dace topping 1lb............they were still there
    That's about as big as a fish that big gets
    If you understand what you’re doing, you’re not learning anything................

Plenty in the Severn, I think every swim I fish that looked like it should hold dace did hold dace. When I fished the upper Wye - Builth Wells - locals talk about the dace shoals that have all gone, I certainly never caught one there when grayling trotting.
    I do like them for sport, hard to beat standing in a river during the summer and trotting a float down, hope it happens again this coming season.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast