Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  30
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dace

Default Dace

I was watching a very enjoyable video earlier with James Robbins who was fishing the Tyne for Dace which, as seems to be the case on many northern rivers nowadays, appear to be abundant enough to be viable match targets for winning weights.

Similar results were also displayed on other rivers where Dace appeared to be very prolific.

As I recall, although certainly not rare in my part of the world during my earlier years they definitely weren't around in what appears to be the numbers today despite them being on the menu for everything from Perch to Otters.

The Trent is stuffed with them and after a bit of digging through my own archives, having had my memory prodded by the video, I came across an image I was looking for from a session several years ago and they seem to have been multiplying ever since...

Is this more of a northern thing or are the southern rivers also seeing a resurgence in the numbers of Dace?

I know there have always been prolific Dace rivers but are they still doing it, in addition to the many more which now seem to be throwing up large numbers and are we entering a new golden era for them?

I hope so.
    Born to mow... Long grass is our enemy!

Default Re: Dace

I hope so as well, I love Dace, really feisty dashing little fish.
    Down here, I don't think numbers have changed a lot in the last 10 years or so, but we're not blessed for coarse fishing rivers.

There are plenty on the stretch 5 minutes from my house. Lovely fishing in the evenings in summer on stick or long whip.

I think of dace as an expensive species, they are just so damned quick, I’m constantly looking for a better and more perfect rod to beat the little fokkers.

Quote Originally Posted by s63 View Post
    I think of dace as an expensive species, they are just so damned quick, I’m constantly looking for a better and more perfect rod to beat the little fokkers.
    The Browning spliced-tip rod is excellent for hitting fast roach and dace bites and doesn't seem to bump many fish either.

That's true, John - they can be swarming around your feed and bait, and still chew your maggot and spit it out before you know it!

The Tyne, Wear and Tees have all had fairly extensive stocking of dace in recent years. All three have been well known as dace fisheries in the past. As a result of these stockings they are definitely a lot better than they were at their lowest ebb. There's good reason why I have largely abandoned my usual Swale haunts in favour of fishing the Tees in the last couple of years. The Swale is fractionally closer, but the rewards on the Tees are far better meaning that a few extra miles of travel are well worth it. I wouldn't have considered that to be the case even five years ago.

Funny enough I never have a problem hitting dace. I find them to be one of the easiest fish to catch. That's my experience on a number of rivers, not just one. Regarding the rods of choice, any decent float rod should be fine.

The acolyte ultra is my choice for catching dace. Together with an abu 501.

On the Thames back in the 60's I often caught dace but we considered them bit of a nuisance fish, preferring to catch the bigger roach. I come across them now and then now but not in great numbers, in fact they seem to disappear altogether some seasons on a couple of SE rivers I fish but that might be a cyclic thing. Overall I think they have become rarer here though, I just do not see as many generally as I once did. However, that's just one persons observation.
    On the odd occasion I have fly fished for coarse fish they readily rise to a fly but getting a take from them or hooking them if they do is nigh on impossible. I never actually deliberately fish for them, the constant float bobbing and sucked bait with no fish but, I admire them for being pretty fish and a specimen would be worth catching.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast