Thanks Thanks:  19
Likes Likes:  10
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: Prebaiting advice please

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for all your replies. You have been helpful and informative and I am a massive fan of this forum.
    I was a competent angler 30 years ago,and having been reborn I have spent hours on this forum trolling the archives and I feel I have learned a lot.
    Anyway back to the original intention.The pit used to belong to a club, but about 2 years ago the lease was up and it was bought by a small consortium. I am good friends with some of them, and can fish for free when I want. Only 5-6 people fish there, and not intensively either. So I’m sure I can prebait 1 or 2 swims and virtually ‘reserve’ them.
    My idea to prebait was to try and get the fish used to a variety of baits,I will use maggots, worms,bread etc , but maybe get the fish used to wheat or maize, there’s a good chance they haven’t seen these for a long time, especially the past few years.
    One of the members has caught carp on boilies, but I’m not interested in exclusive carp fishing,would like to catch a 10 lber on my Avon though!
    In some of the swims I can fish close in the margins, but able to also switch to fishing a waggler near a feature(an island or where it narrows to a “point”). So I will spread a bit of feed around in the likely swims.
    It’s frustrating, the weather is glorious,and I can’t even go and walk round the pit!

Quote Originally Posted by terry m View Post
    A lightly fished 20 acre lake is a good candidate for pre baiting.

Let us know how you get on.
    Will do Terry.
    Is it better to do it on this thread, or the”how did you get on?” thread

Use the HDYGO thread and don't forget a summary of what you did and post pics of the end result or the swim at least. Good luck and what a wonderful problem to have.

Quote Originally Posted by peterjg View Post
    Yes, prebaiting can and does work but not if too many other anglers are also prebaiting - it
    defeats the purpose. Wheat is a great bait but to work it is essential that it is cooked properly!!! I personally don't use maize. Molasses is a good flavour but it attracts too many bream, if you put it in groundbait it darkens it but soon leaks out in the lake leaving the ground bait stark white on the bottom. Only prebait say three swims on different sides of the lake to suit conditions, ensure the swims are at least 41/2 foot deep so swans can't reach your bait! Prebait with wheat, sweetcorn and hard pellets. Keep your prebaited swims secret! Good luck. Your biggest problem is coots and tufties - they will/can eat all your bait and show other anglers where you have baited. Make sure there is no spillage of bait left on the bank! The best time to prebait is at night.
    Thanks Peter,
    Most of the swims are 5-10 feet deep, though some may be 3-5 feet deep providing the dry spell continues.
    I haven’t seen any swans, but there are coots,mallards and tufted ducks.Will these eat my prebait in the shallower swims ?

Quote Originally Posted by mikench View Post
    Use the HDYGO thread and don't forget a summary of what you did and post pics of the end result or the swim at least. Good luck and what a wonderful problem to have.
    Ok Mike. Can you tell me when fishing resumes? It will be ironic if it’s June 16th ! Will bring back memories of the old widespread close season !Hope it’s way before though

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie C View Post
    Thanks Peter,
    Most of the swims are 5-10 feet deep, though some may be 3-5 feet deep providing the dry spell continues.
    I haven’t seen any swans, but there are coots,mallards and tufted ducks.Will these eat my prebait in the shallower swims ?
    Mallards will dive, but they tend not to dive too deep. Much more than three feet or so tends to be their limit. Coots will dive a little deeper. Tufties will not be put off by diving ten feet. I've caught them on double maggot in the better part of twenty feet.

Don't let that put you off prebaiting though. Their activity in baited areas can actually attract fish. Another fortunate by product is that they can help keep a chosen spot free of weed. Just keep in mind that a percentage of your bait will not get through to the fish.

Without wishing to dampen your spirits and enthusiasm, don’t forget your bait will probably attract the signal crayfish which inhabit most southern waters.

Quote Originally Posted by peter crabtree View Post
    Without wishing to dampen your spirits and enthusiasm, don’t forget your bait will probably attract the signal crayfish which inhabit most southern waters.

Apparently it’s full of them I will look through the archives,key in crayfish and try and find the do’s and don’ts.
    Thanks Peter, I may need a rethink.

I couldn’t find much information, seems carp anglers have problems with leaving bait in too long.So any tips on how to deal with them regards prebaiting and when general fishing ?

PC raised a good point about crayfish - they are an absolute pain! They will likely spoil any plans of prebaiting!? They seem to eat anything and everything!

Maybe bait up a particular area to try to lure the crayfish away from your swims? In summer when the crayfish are most active I use large bits of choritzo sausage either side of my swims to try to get the crayfish away from my baited area - this ploy works to a certain extent but does not totally solve the problem.

Yes, coots can easily dive 10 foot down, tufties even more and they sometimes feed at night as well!

Just to repeat, wheat really is a great bait but the fish do need time to get used to it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast